The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-30-2018, 01:44 PM

Default Replying To Part of a Thread

So how do folks copy sections of a thread to reply to that part of a thread. I see where everyone will somehow copy a part of a thread which is highlighted in blue background with the name of the posting person then they type in their additional comments. I haven’t figured out how to do that.

Signed,

Remedial Forum Member

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So that you can see how it is formatted, see how your post above is now quoted, thus you can observe the syntax of how it is done by selecting to edit your original post. It is important to use these brackets [] and also important to have them at the start of the quote and at the end and always end with [/quote].

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdinterman View Post
So how do folks copy sections of a thread to reply to that part of a thread. I see where everyone will somehow copy a part of a thread which is highlighted in blue background with the name of the posting person then they type in their additional comments. I haven’t figured out how to do that.

Signed,

Remedial Forum Member
then I quoted it again and removed portions

Quote:
So how do folks copy sections of a thread to reply to that part of a thread.
Then here is your original post separated in to two separate quotes

Quote:
So how do folks copy sections of a thread to reply to that part of a thread.
and....

Quote:
I see where everyone will somehow copy a part of a thread which is highlighted in blue background with the name of the posting person then they type in their additional comments. I haven’t figured out how to do that.

Signed,

Remedial Forum Member
you can also simply quote no one by doing this, or it does allow you cite something which stands out.

Quote:
How about a quote?

Last edited by Basalt Beach; 12-30-2018 at 10:34 PM. Reason: demonstrate how to quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Click QUOTE at the bottom right of a post. The quote will be contained within quote tags and they have to remain in place. You may delete parts in the middle if you like. Each tag has to have "[]" around it with nothing changed within the brackets. Give it a try...

Last edited by Kerbie; 12-30-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:17 PM

And click the ""+ button next to the quote button to multi-quote several different posts. Then I tend to edit and leave only the specific part I was responding to, rather than quote an entire long post.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:27 PM

And the third button says, "Quick reply to this message". What's a "message" in a thread? What's that used for? I've never used that one.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
And the third button says, "Quick reply to this message". What's a "message" in a thread? What's that used for? I've never used that one.
Here's the help provided by the forum for that question. There is a ton of help at the bottom of the FAQs page in a section called, "Board FAQ."
Old 01-01-2019, 09:29 PM

Thanks for the help. Got it now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic