The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-28-2018, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Default Lennon/McCartney

Just was thinking, would they have made more cash from the writing income or touring/recording income? Since so many of the songs have been covered or used it may be an astounding amount of royalties? Anyone have a thought? Thanks
Old 12-28-2018, 01:05 PM

Royalties keep going.

Ed
Old 12-28-2018, 03:08 PM

For years Lennon/McCartney have not owned the copyright on their music. It was jointly owned by Sony ATV and the Michael Jackson estate. So factoring that in, I'd say the music sales have likely contributed more. Just guessing though.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 12-28-2018, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
For years Lennon/McCartney have not owned the copyright on their music. It was jointly owned by Sony ATV and the Michael Jackson estate. So factoring that in, I'd say the music sales have likely contributed more. Just guessing though.
Right! I forgot about the Michael Jackson/Sony thing. And since Paul is still actively touring and selling music, I tend to agree. But their estates will get royalties when they pass away, or not?
Old 12-28-2018, 03:51 PM

They certainly didn't make much money touring since that was short-lived.
I don't know what they get paid for but I doubt if Paul or Ringo will ever need money.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 12-28-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
They certainly didn't make much money touring since that was short-lived.
I don't know what they get paid for but I doubt if Paul or Ringo will ever need money.
Paul McCartney's net worth is about $1.2 Billion and Ringo's is $350M. Not too shabby.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

It's possible that Ringo could end up broke. He didn't write much if at all. Beatle days were pretty short. And after a few big years touring, hasn't done much for over twenty years.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:46 PM

Looks like McCartney and Sony reached a deal in June of 2017. Details are confidential:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/legalen.../#4112274e1f8c
Old 12-28-2018, 06:29 PM

I doubt Lennon would be performing these days, he would be 80 years old. But the egos of so many of the popular bands of the 60’s and 70’s is so over the top that who knows. Many of those old geezers still “performing” are an embarrassment to themselves but no one has the courage to tell them I guess. So many of these guys just don’t know when to hang it up as far as public performances. But that’s a whole other topic I guess.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
I doubt Lennon would be performing these days, he would be 80 years old. But the egos of so many of the popular bands of the 60’s and 70’s is so over the top that who knows. Many of those old geezers still “performing” are an embarrassment to themselves but no one has the courage to tell them I guess. So many of these guys just don’t know when to hang it up as far as public performances. But that’s a whole other topic I guess.
I heard McCartney several years ago, and he gave a 2 and 1/2 hour concert with no intermission. I can't imagine him sounding better or having more energy when he was younger.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbler View Post
I heard McCartney several years ago, and he gave a 2 and 1/2 hour concert with no intermission. I can't imagine him sounding better or having more energy when he was younger.
I could be wrong, but I think maybe the enhanced technology of modern day amplification has a lot more to do with McCartney’s performance longevity than his vocal chords. As far as his energy, I hear Red Bull is VERY popular these days. Ha! Just joshin’ Imbler. McCartney has more talent in his toenail than I do in my entire body, but I do believe technology keeps a lot of these old geezers on stage these days where otherwise they would have retired long ago.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:48 PM

Last winter I saw Chubby Checker, who looks quite frail off stage, perform a 90 minute non stop show that included going into the crowd...all the way to the back...dancing with them, singing...all non stop. Later at a jam session he had the Box Tops back him up for a 60 minute impromptu performance. I'm somewhat involved in the vintage music scene and there are some acts that, really, have lost it and some who are great. As long as their fans come, though, they will play.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 12-29-2018, 04:37 AM
Charter Member

From a purely financial standpoint, I would much rather be a songwriter or publisher than a performer; being a best selling author wouldn’t be a bad gig either. We constantly hear news stories about this or that famous artist getting worked over financially by his manager or being bankrupt. Nevertheless they tend to emerge with a net worth of millions.

Worrying about exactly how rich rich guys are has never been something that consumes me.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
Last winter I saw Chubby Checker, who looks quite frail off stage, perform a 90 minute non stop show that included going into the crowd...all the way to the back...dancing with them, singing...all non stop. Later at a jam session he had the Box Tops back him up for a 60 minute impromptu performance. I'm somewhat involved in the vintage music scene and there are some acts that, really, have lost it and some who are great. As long as their fans come, though, they will play.
I've haven't heard the name Chubby Checker in a couple of decades. I didn't realize he was still out performing. I had to google him, he's 77.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

We saw Jesse Colin Young (77 also, and a Lyme survivor) at a small venue (The Dakota in Mpls) this fall. No, he doesn't have the power he once had, but he still has the "sweet." The band was his son with his music school friends. It was an excellent show.

He came out acoustic first and did Songbird, 4 in the Morning and Sugarbabe. There were tears in my eyes. That's why they'll still tour...guys like me that want them to.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic