The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-27-2018, 09:53 PM

I only own one suit and only wear it for job interviews. The only time I wear a tie is to weddings, funerals or interviews. I don’t wear my suit to funerals because it’s black and I hate wearing black to funerals although I did wear it to a very formal Episcopalian funeral I had to attend last year.

I wear a polo and khakis or a pullover and khakis for work as a teacher everyday and gym shorts (sweat pants when it’s cold) and T-shirt’s when I’m coaching in the afternoons. My coaching attire is what I wear around the house or running errands. If I’m going to a nice restaurant I’ll wear a polo and jeans with cowboy boots or khaki shorts and nice sneakers in the summer when it’s really hot. Polo and khakis is also my church attire with either boots or dress shoes.

One rule is I refuse to wear flip flops and will always wear socks and closed toe shoes.

I see it mentioned about airports on this thread. I took my first flight last week and they both left really early and since I was already nervous I wanted to be as comfortable as possible and wore a T-shirt and athletic pants. I don’t want to be worried about how I’m dressed for a long flight in a cramped seat. Comfort is king in that situation.

Last edited by RussL30; 12-27-2018 at 10:40 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:06 PM

I despise the way many people look in public, especially younger women. The de-evolution of America. I have always liked nice clothes, whether as a chiropractor, or a golfer, I want to look good. I stopped wearing ties about 20 years ago, life chokes me enough.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:25 PM

Suits, real shoes, shirts with the top button buttoned and a necktie - none of those are at all uncomfortable. They just have to fit right.

Check out this guy. Suit doesn't seem to be restricting him too much:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2-yWBsvvy4
Old 12-28-2018, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

I dress up for weddings. In the warm weather I enjoy wearing dresses that I've sewn from nice cotton material and skirts & blouses. Dresses and skirts are cooler (air flow), plus I like the way they "flow" when I move. Other times I wear pants and some kind of T or blouse. In the winter, warm sweaters. Men's clothing, at least in the U.S., seems to be much more limited in both style and colors in this century than women's clothing. Though why women abuse their feet with heels is beyond me (but that's another thread that may be contentious & throw up red flags from the mods).
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon

Last edited by KarenB; 12-28-2018 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:27 AM

Bespoke double-breasted suits from a Saville Row tailor. I don't own any, but that's how I'd dress if I could afford it. Bill Nighy is my fashion hero.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:29 AM

Suit and tie - only for funerals, formal weddings (Haven't been to one in decades) and job interviews.
I remember my grandfather wore a tie all the time except when working (he was a carpenter and painter).
'Torn jeans' - that's the fashion style (on and off, as all fashions are).
Pajama bottoms - terrible habit, all too often seen with lower-middle class (and poorer) people around here at the grocery store.
At work (in the office), we have casual Fridays - jeans are allowed, assuming no client interaction. Other days its khakis/no t-shirts.
Think about it - does 'dressing up' make a person work better? If a person is more comfortable, aren't they likely to be happier and a better worker? That's what has gradually taken over the office work mentality.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 12-28-2018, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
I despise the way many people look in public, especially younger women. The de-evolution of America. I have always liked nice clothes, whether as a chiropractor, or a golfer, I want to look good. I stopped wearing ties about 20 years ago, life chokes me enough.
"despising" what others wear is a waste of energy

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 12-28-2018, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

I dress as appropriate for the venue, the event and the weather, usually with some element of casual as I do have to move and set up equipment.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd612 View Post
What do you think younger women should wear, and why?
I believe he's talking about the movement where everyone is trying to look like they're active and physically fit. It's not just younger women IME; housewives are all wearing these tight fitting yoga pants that come in loud colors with pixelated noisy/static patterns that are likely designed to look "slimming." The alternative are those who wear baggy sweatpants with writing on the seat, which always strikes me as inappropriately alluring and the clothing version of having a bumper sticker.

Worry not though: they still work hard on their hair and their makeup - excessively so in some cases. It amazes me how scientific cosmetics have become. I've seen tutorials where extremely homely looking women - and men - can apply enough paint and body work to resemble movie stars. One can only imagine the shock that potential paramours encounter should they somebody day see such people first thing in the morning!

As for me, I've let myself go. I've taken to wearing 5 pocket khakis and sport shirts with slip on shoes that resemble loafers. If I want to dress up, I'll wear slacks and a button down shirt or a sweater. Suits are expensive and I haven't bought a new one in some time. My wife is also unhappy that I've grown a beard. When challenged I simply state that I'm studying to become Santa Claus.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

I'm one of those dinosaurs you'll see wearing a suit most every day.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the weird one
Old 12-28-2018, 04:05 PM

My father always dressed up. Nice slacks tuck in shirt. He always told me this is how he watched his weight by wearing clothes that fit. Nothing sloppy for dad, where you could wear the same size even with a 5 to 7 lb weight gain . I gotta tell you he always looked trim.

Last edited by Blueshoes; 12-28-2018 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:26 PM

I live in the South. for 6 months of the year to wear a suit and tie is not appropriate attire for the weather. If it is 100 degrees in the shade wearing attire designed for London or Boston is just not bright. I do like to dress when I can. I personally like three-piece or double breasted suits. If I had either I could get by with wearing them maybe three months a year.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 12-28-2018, 10:57 PM

I'm retired in Florida and generally wear shorts, sneakers, and Aloha shirts. Nice jeans and collared shirts if needed. I gave up on coats and ties before I retired. I don't even own a suit coat or jacket anymore.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
The west coast of the USA has, I think, a lower standard of dress compared to the east coast of the USA.
As a kid, I traveled to the south regularly. The females there would dress to the nines.....to go to the grocery store. Top of fashion to get the car repaired. Put on a hat to go alligator wrestling. Busch Gardens....get out the silk. Weird
Old 12-29-2018, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Though it gets my attention I hate picking on peoples attire. It's non of my business I guess. I do have to wonder about peoples self awareness though. One has to assume they think what they are wearing is flattering to them.

This thread got me thinking of my children and grand children's attire. My daughter most always dresses up. I am glad to say my other children their spouses and my grandchildren dress cleanly and neatly in a casual sort of way.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic