The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-06-2018, 05:54 AM

Default Holiday Gift for Yourself this year?

As I have no family here, the gifts under my tree are usually for my cats! I also take a moment not just during the Holiday season, but every day, to be grateful for my health.

This year, however, I do want to add a pick up to my lovely Rainsong guitar. This indeed will bring me great joy. My good friend Kramster has turned me on to electronics, and my simply fishman loudbox and sensheiser mic brings me many hours of happy playing and singing.

I would also like to get a harmonizer pedal. As I have been told I have a nice voice, it would be nice to mix it in once in a while!

What are you treating yourself to? Something that will hopefully bring you joy and smiles!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 12-06-2018, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

Purchasing a convertible, two-seater sports car in December may seem counter-intuitive, but that's when one will get the best deals. Ever since purchasing and then foolishly selling a 2010 Mazda MX5 (Miata) several years back, I'd set my sights on purchasing another. But it had to be the right one which is to say: Touring model, Liquid Silver in colour, 6 speed manual transmission, well kept by previous owner based on Carfax report, reasonable price and reasonable mileage. Well, after frequent visits to Auto Trader, I found her. My ladyfriend and I took the five hour trip to Charlotte, NC; but it seems well worth it. Can't wait to put the top down.....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:18 AM

I have a 2008 Mazda Miata MX5 and love it. Had her 3 years and she is a blast. Even here in AZ its a bit cold right now to ride with the top down!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 12-06-2018, 01:12 PM

A ham! Not any old ham; we have ordered a ham from a small batch ham smoker in Virginia! My wife and I will invite a couple of dear friends over for a nice ham supper after Christmas, and also share the leftovers with them. Life’s little pleasures can be the best.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:30 PM

A gift for myself... (ponders) What have I done to deserve to gift myself? Maybe next year.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:31 PM

My self-gift for this year (really more of a New Year's resolution) is to start gigging again.

I played in electric rock bands from about 1982 to 2000 or so and have always missed it.

I'm in a new area and don't expect to find like-minded people to start up a group with. In the past, I did not care for solo performing, but I'm older now, a bit more grizzled and far less concerned about what anyone thinks of me (short of having bricks thrown at me.)

So my goal is to learn a dozen or so 50s-60s songs...old rockabilly, couple of country tunes, maybe a ballad or two, and start out playing 20-30 minute sets at nursing homes and the VA hospital.

Hopefully that'll get me back in the swing and I can start hitting open mics and coffee houses and other gigs with an expanded set of material to choose from.

As far as other Christmas swag, my Lady just got me a cool black with white trim Ibanez Grand Concert specifically for this purpose. She's a gem!

- John Shedd
Old 12-06-2018, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

The best prime rib in the state! Mmm...
Old 12-06-2018, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Got a pair of Sennheiser RS 195 wireless headphones.
Mainly for watching TV and not disturbing the rest of family, as I am the big TV fan in the house. They are great for us older folks with 7 different listening assist settings (for better dialog clarity)

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 12-06-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
"Just walk the cow through a warm room and put it on a plate for me..."
Paraphrased from the character Nadine Cross in Stephen King's The Stand

I'm with you Kerbie. There is nothing like a good slab of prime rib for the holidays!
Old 12-06-2018, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Getting a Karura Flight Case to replace the Ameritage case that came with one of my guitars. I bought a Karura case earlier this year for my OMs and like it a lot. Very lightweight and rugged. I’m thinking Carbon exterior/gray interior this time.

Old 12-06-2018, 02:03 PM

Until recently we were DINKS (double-income, no kids) so we don't normally do Christmas gifts. No kids, no grandkids, no family nearby.

But I did pull the trigger on an Emerald X30 guitar yesterday. Not that I particularly deserve any gifts, but my wife supported the idea. (I recently supported her on the purchase of a high-end piccolo as her retirement gift).
Old 12-06-2018, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

For me, it is a new McPherson Touring carbon fiber guitar - with the honeycomb top and the gold Schaller tuners and frets. But, then, I sold off a bunch of stuff, paid for the guitar and even banked a few thousand. I want to move completely to carbon fiber guitars that require no maintenance other than string changes, so no concern about the dry winter months, while at the same time, shed everything that I really don't use anymore.

I got a new camera for my wife. It is a Fujifilm X100F, which has gotten really nice reviews. She had to give up on photography because she can't handle her big Nikon anymore due to her health problems, so this little camera that doesn't sacrifice quality will allow her to continue taking decent pictures. Because I did so well selling off unused music gear, I also bought the two other lenses for the camera. They should be here this week, giving her the complete X100F setup.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 12-06-2018, 03:50 PM

Probably, a table runner from Archive Edition. We just ordered a new refrigerator last night, so I guess that counts, too.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
If you can get a side of ribs I'll join you.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

My wife is buying me a Warm Audio WA-47 large diaphragm tube condenser mic modeled after the famous Neumann U-47. It should make for a very nice vocal microphone. Frank Sinatra was well known for his singing through a Neumann U-47.

I am probably buying her a new notebook computer.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic