The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-16-2019, 07:22 AM

Default Eastman OO, OO Ltd, OOSS or OM

Having a hard time deciding on this one. Looking for a comfortable even on the couch and good all rounder. I do like fingerstyle and 3/4 nut and wider string spacing would be nice but it’s not solely for fingerstyle.

The OO are really confusing because they have the OO, OO Ltd and OOSS models.
The OM seems less complicated to choose from with less modes there is just Adirondack or Sitka deal.

If you were buying today which would you pick. No dealers near me.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:56 AM

Well i was buying (last Sunday) and put on layaway an E10 00.

E stands for Traditional model

10 stands for appointments and wood choice level (10 series get mahogany b&s)

00 stands for body size.

The E10 00 comes with Adirondack top, mahogany back & sides, ebony fretboard and rectangle bridge, 12 fret, short scale, 1 13/16" nut width, 2 11/32" bridge spacing, nitro gloss finish on body, nitro satin on neck, a nice full shape C neck, dovetail neck joint and last but not least a slotted head stock.

This guitar is amazing for the amount of volume it puts out, a kinda dry but not to bright tone that is well balanced across all strings. I play mainly fingerstyle
and this guitar is just a joy to play. Only problem i will have to wait a couple of months before i can bring this guy home.

On your problem to decide which size and model to get, pm me and maybe i can help you figure out all the differences that are too long to post here. Hope i can help.
E20 OM-SB Eastman

Last edited by Sagebrush Tom; 01-16-2019 at 07:57 AM. Reason: add a word
Old 01-16-2019, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

If you can handle a thinner nut width, I'd absolutely recommend the E10OO/v, which is similar to Tom's guitar, but with the antique varnish finish. The thinner finish is incredibly responsive and gives an open and airy tone.

Give Ted a call at LA Guitar Sales. He walked me through the differences a while back, when I nearly bought one of his limited run E15SS guitars, which are a little bigger than the standard OO, but smaller than an OM/000 (like a Gibson LG2).
Old 01-16-2019, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

I love the E10OO 12 fretter. The neck and string spacing are heavenly, and tone is deep and warm with phat notes.

I am pretty sure Eastman is going to spec that neck on their new Smeckman... whenever that gets released.
(I think 2019 NAMM is going to be my year!) hahaha
Old 01-16-2019, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

I own an E10 00M. 12 fret, 1-3/4 nut, all solid hog. With Elixir Nano PB lights it really sings, great chiming, dynamic projection. I didn't like Monels on it. Very pretty, too.
I had a 14 fret E20 00 (spruce/rosewood), which was a bit brighter and very open but not as rich sounding, imo.
I'm not sure if they still make the 00 M, but I love mine. Incredible value.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
I love the E10OO 12 fretter. The neck and string spacing are heavenly, and tone is deep and warm with phat notes.

I am pretty sure Eastman is going to spec that neck on their new Smeckman... whenever that gets released.
Appreciate all the responses. Would prefer the wider nut spacing, need to see how much 12 feet would impact me as it’s my only guitar and also want to see what NAMM brings before pulling the trigger.

At the risk of sounding dumb what is this smeckman model?
Old 01-16-2019, 10:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texmex03 View Post
Appreciate all the responses. Would prefer the wider nut spacing, need to see how much 12 feet would impact me as it’s my only guitar and also want to see what NAMM brings before pulling the trigger.

At the risk of sounding dumb what is this smeckman model?
Smeckman: it's Keith's long-running fantasy for a new Eastman guitar, based on a Roy Smeck model guitar (12-fret, slope shoulder dread). He can tell you more about it.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:11 AM

I generally like Eastman's OM line. Betwen the E6, E8, E10, and E20, they offer a wood combo for any taste. And they really sound great. I myself have a killer E8OM (Sitka/EIR).

However, I recently saw a demo video of an Eastman E10-00SS that sounded so good, it's making me wonder, parhaps I should...

Anyway, here's the demo from Midwood Guitar (I have no affiliation to the store).

Old 01-17-2019, 08:03 AM

I saw that same video and thought it sounded amazing.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post

I hope you're right Keith. I know you have been pounding on Eastman to do this.
Maybe they will make a limited run. I would be in line for one myself if they did.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-17-2019, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Sorry, Tex. It's kind of a running joke/quest for me. I have been begging Eastman to build a Gibson "Smeck" for the last three or five years on three different forums. I think I am just tilting at windmills at this point. Eastman already has a the SS body design, so just deepen the sides and put a OO 12 fret neck on it. And don't forget the torrefied top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I hope you're right Keith. I know you have been pounding on Eastman to do this.
Maybe they will make a limited run. I would be in line for one myself if they did.
You and I won't be the only ones in line for an Eastman 12 fret, short scale dreadnaught, Jamie. Brian will need one for the Eastman concept store he is building at his house.

Last edited by Zissou Intern; 01-17-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:49 AM

I have been trying to send you a pm but have been having problems sending it. If you received one please let me know, and if not i'll post it right here.
E20 OM-SB Eastman
Old 01-17-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagebrush Tom View Post
I have been trying to send you a pm but have been having problems sending it. If you received one please let me know, and if not i'll post it right here.
Never received one and have been getting pms from others. Mailbox is empty
Old 01-17-2019, 09:37 AM

Thanks for the reply. I'll try and repeat what i said in the pm.

On the size of the guitar i prefer right now is the 00 body size as i will have two 00's when i pick up my E10 00 in a few months. I find the smaller body is more comfortable than the OM's & 000 with a more balanced and articulate sound. I fingerpick 90% of the time, and that's why i prefer small body guitars.

I've owned my E20 OM going on four years and it is by far my best sounding guitar i own. It has a loud but balanced voice with great highs & lows.

For wanting an all around guitar Eastman OM's can't be beat. If you want an Adi top over mahogany try a E10 OM. If you prefer Adi over rosewood then an E20 OM is your guitar. If you want Sitka spruce top over rosewood try a E8 OM which is a couple of hundred dollars cheaper and is the same guitar as a E20 OM except the top. All models have 1 3/4" wide nut, 2 5/32" at the saddle (same as mine) and is a little wider string spacing than the E10SS.

The E10 00SS/V shown in the video has the same string spacing as the E10 SS and is smaller body than the OM's. Also the E10 SS/V is a 14 fret model, the E10 00 which i will soon own is a 12 fret, slot head and with wider string spacing at 1 13/16" nut width and 2 11/32" at the saddle. To me it's the perfect finger picking guitar.

Please pm me and i'll try to answer any other questions you might have as i think i fixed my sending message issue.
E20 OM-SB Eastman
Old 01-17-2019, 10:09 AM

Gotta throw a plug in for the “lowly” E1OM here. ;-) I continue to be blown away by the value-to-cost ratio of this little gem. $449 all solid. Wonderful warm tone in a comfortable body size (to me). This is the quintessentail “bang for your buck” guitar (which pretty much fits every Eastman, now that I think about it).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion