The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 01-08-2019, 12:48 PM
Monsoon1 Monsoon1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: N.E. Ohio
Posts: 1,478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
No it's not because we've never seen you drive. Rick asked you to show how you drive(using your metaphor).
I've posted statistics. Please feel free to disprove ANY of it.
__________________
Something something, beer is good, and people are crazy.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-08-2019, 12:49 PM
rick-slo's Avatar
rick-slo rick-slo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 12,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon1 View Post
you haven't made a single point that is any sort of rebuttal for what i've said.
maybe you could pick someone else to troll today?
because in the world of audio acoustics, I OWN this.
You're not helping yourself, but yes time to move on.
__________________
Derek Coombs
Website -> Music -> Tabs -> CDs and Youtube
Guitars by Mark Blanchard, Albert&Mueller, Paul Woolson, Collings, Composite Acoustics, and Derek Coombs
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-08-2019, 12:53 PM
Monsoon1 Monsoon1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: N.E. Ohio
Posts: 1,478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
You're not helping yourself, but yes time to move on.
I would say the same for you. You've brought nothing to the table as far as relevance goes. Meanwhile i've brought information which you can't seem to disprove.
__________________
Something something, beer is good, and people are crazy.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-08-2019, 01:51 PM
jim1960 jim1960 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,841
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon1 View Post
you haven't made a single point that is any sort of rebuttal for what i've said.
maybe you could pick someone else to troll today?
because in the world of audio acoustics, I OWN this.
Nope. Every great recording that comes out of a room not set up as you described rebuts your argument.

And here's where your entire tangent fails:
You're bragging about your 40 years of whatever experience you have and you're expecting the OP to be able to apply that to his room, which looks to be somewhat compromised by shape and size, and come out with something wonderful using cheap foam. The OP doesn't have your knowledge or experience and you're not going to be there measuring frequencies and reflections and every other thing, so the outcome is predictable.
__________________
Jim

2017 Circle Strings 00 bastogne walnut/sinker redwood
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
2002 Taylor 814ce Limited cocobolo/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce


SoundCloud link
Spotify
YouTube
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-08-2019, 03:07 PM
ChuckS's Avatar
ChuckS ChuckS is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 2,774
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
You're not helping yourself, but yes time to move on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon1 View Post
I would say the same for you. You've brought nothing to the table as far as relevance goes. Meanwhile i've brought information which you can't seem to disprove.
You say Rick-Slo has brought nothing to the table. I disagree. He has posted many songs on this forum where he played acoustic guitar and recorded them in his home studio using his gear. He is a great musician and is able to capture his performance and his instrument using his gear/techniques/studio. I feel you (Monsoon1) don't have any idea who you are talking to.
__________________
Chuck

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-08-2019, 04:36 PM
runamuck runamuck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,356
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
You say Rick-Slo has brought nothing to the table. I disagree. He has posted many songs on this forum where he played acoustic guitar and recorded them in his home studio using his gear. He is a great musician and is able to capture his performance and his instrument using his gear/techniques/studio. I feel you (Monsoon1) don't have any idea who you are talking to.
I agree. Rick has proven his knowledge with evidence (along with some beautiful playing).
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-08-2019, 05:43 PM
GTR1960 GTR1960 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 61
Default

http://www.rpgeurope.com

http://www.rpgeurope.com/products/au...listening.html
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-08-2019, 07:23 PM
sdelsolray sdelsolray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 6,076
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon1 View Post
I've posted statistics. Please feel free to disprove ANY of it.
I have seen no statistics or relevant empirical evidence in your posts, although I have seen numerous mere assertions, a claim of authority and some simple arithmetic. You have yet to provide relevant empirical evidence supporting many of your bald claims. Under common rational discourse rules, you have the burden of proof/persuasion. Until then, your unsupported claims are rejected.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-09-2019, 07:59 AM
MikeBmusic MikeBmusic is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: On the Mass/NH border
Posts: 5,456
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon1 View Post
Done correctly, it absolutely will work well using simple foam panels.
It will make a huge difference.
The OP also needs to realize that placement is crifical as well. Playing close to a wall is worse than being a few feet from it. This is because short reflections muddy the sound, and our brains ignore longer ones. Which just happens to work within the math of live end dead end rooms.
Nope nope nope.
As already said countless times, foam does not absorb the low frequencies. Yes, you get rid of the flutter echo. But its the lows that muddy up the recording, and if they are bouncing around the room (principally getting worse from the corners), it only make it worse. You can hear it when you are listening to a mix in an untreated room just by moving your head around the listening area and paying attention to how the sound changes.
If you are only recording in the room, then it is less of a concern, of course.
__________________
Mike

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73 Epiphone 6830E 6 string (made in 71?)

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone ($25!)

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-09-2019, 08:51 AM
Brent Hahn Brent Hahn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 755
Default

Seems to me that the degree of unconstrained contentiousness in this thread is unusual for AGF. Since it's on a topic that's more about science than subjective opinion, I think it's mostly good. :-)
__________________
Old Ibanez Dreadnought
Hideous Orange Indonesian Classical
Cordoba Tenor Uke
This list oughta lower the bar some.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 01-09-2019, 09:24 AM
jim1960 jim1960 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,841
Default

I'm having a hard time understanding how the guy who claimed this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon1 View Post
you haven't made a single point that is any sort of rebuttal for what i've said.
maybe you could pick someone else to troll today?
because in the world of audio acoustics, I OWN this.
...wrote this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon1 View Post
I'm wanting to be able to liven up the sound of an acoustic guitar.
Not interested in samples.
Also, i'm not looking for the usual chorus effects. I want to be able to plug a dread in, and have a great dread sound during playback without spending a lot of time and money on room acoustics.
__________________
Jim

2017 Circle Strings 00 bastogne walnut/sinker redwood
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
2002 Taylor 814ce Limited cocobolo/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce


SoundCloud link
Spotify
YouTube
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-09-2019, 09:34 AM
KevWind's Avatar
KevWind KevWind is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edge of Wilderness Wyoming
Posts: 10,654
Default

Quote:
"because in the world of audio acoustics, I OWN this."
According to Sound on Sound perhaps not .....

"More practical solutions require efficient low-frequency absorbers. Foam panels would typically need to beat least a metre thick to get significant absorption at low frequencies, so a resonant type of absorber is typically necessary, with membrane designs being most common in small rooms. "

Quote:
Lookup "Live end, dead end" room treatment. It is the defacto standard for recording studios,
Also they seem to be under the impression that LEDE is only one of several commonly used control room acoustical design philosophies .

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniq...ol-room-design
__________________
" Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." Albert Einstein
Enjoy the Journey.... Kev...


KevWind at Soundcloud

Last edited by KevWind; 01-10-2019 at 08:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-09-2019, 07:01 PM
Gordon Currie Gordon Currie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Kirkland, WA USA
Posts: 561
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon1 View Post
because in the world of audio acoustics, I OWN this.
Just saying it on a forum does not make it so. Prove it.
__________________
-Gordon

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway | 1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway | 2006 Larrivee L03-R | 2009 Larrivee LV03-R | 2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
K+K, Dazzo/ToneDexter


Notable Journey website
Facebook page
CD Baby

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art." -Leonardo Da Vinci
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-10-2019, 02:02 AM
Karel Karel is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 409
Default

Ownership, let alone foamership, obviously lies in the head of the beholder. 🤔
__________________
AKA Charlie

My lyrics and music on Youtube
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=