The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-27-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I saw this comment a few times and I'm curious as to why. Is this true or an urban legend,
It's not better, other than what's already been stated. Some engineers claim the mic body being up above the capsule (imho doubtful) , and being above the pop zone, has better tone, and less interference. I don't know if that's true or not. Usually it's just convenience.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:30 AM

Hahahaha! You guys!

Regards,

Ty Ford

Last edited by Kerbie; 12-29-2018 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Quote deleted
Old 12-29-2018, 04:18 PM

Those "hang it upside down" comments that the OP mentioned were supposed to be tongue-in-cheek. I've read them too, in various reviews, and they were always done with a wink or an lol. I've never seen one that implied that there was any audible advantage. There isn't.
By the way, I did end up buying one, and for now I'm hanging it right side up.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnote View Post
Those "hang it upside down" comments that the OP mentioned were supposed to be tongue-in-cheek. I've read them too, in various reviews, and they were always done with a wink or an lol. I've never seen one that implied that there was any audible advantage. There isn't.
By the way, I did end up buying one, and for now I'm hanging it right side up.
Well first granted the word "better" in the OP is probably a bit too subjective and vague.
However I don't think I would be so quick to dismiss such comments as simply all "tongue-in-cheek"

Here is an article on this very subject. All four of the reason have been mentioned in this thread , one reason addressing possible "audible advantage" was rather arbitrarily misquoted and then dismissed in this thread by virtue of a supposed vast majority of "zillions" in disagreement, but the article and the rest of the photos appear to substantially dilute the veracity of such dismissal

https://bobbyowsinskiblog.com/2017/0...ng-microphone/

From that article

From googling the search terms " Pictures of Recording Vocalist in a studio"
Note: one of these is not even upside down but all are elevated slightly .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 12-30-2018 at 07:41 AM.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:46 PM

A couple tips from Singwise...

"The head should be held neither too high nor too low but remain in the communicative position of normal speech. This consistent posture helps to create a more balanced voice training session and, eventually, a more pleasing performance."

and...

"Raising the chin or head does not free the larynx. Nor does using the head to reach for high notes enable the vocalist to sing those higher pitches. Instead, tension is created, and accessing the upper register becomes more difficult, if not unlikely."

Couch Standards

Last edited by Kerbie; 12-30-2018 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
A couple tips from Singwise...

"The head should be held neither too high nor too low but remain in the communicative position of normal speech. This consistent posture helps to create a more balanced voice training session and, eventually, a more pleasing performance."

and...

"Raising the chin or head does not free the larynx. Nor does using the head to reach for high notes enable the vocalist to sing those higher pitches. Instead, tension is created, and accessing the upper register becomes more difficult, if not unlikely."
You have provided a source that , at first blush apparently disagrees with the source I provided. Particularly the statement
" "Raising the chin or head does not free the larynx" But perhaps the qualifiers from that article of "too high" and "creates tension" may in fact not be all that inconsistent with the source I quoted, or at least allow for interpretation.

So apparently there are differing views about the subject of head position . Now while I would certainly agree that "tension" is something to be avoided, the question and apparent debate is .....does raising the head slightly actually serve to increase tension? I think that assertion as a universal blanket statement, is highly questionable and debatable .

Now I do understand and honestly and very sincerely respect that you are working professional recording engineer and realize that on many, and undoubtedly most, subjects about recording your experience and knowledge far exceeds my amature recording knowledge.
And thus I would not presume to debate your opinions on most things regarding "recording audio"

However I have been avid amateur and part time professional singer, since fist watching Elvis on the Ed Sullivan in 1956 or 57 .
And in my experience and apparently others in the industry as well, raising the chin slightly can perhaps be of benefit (depending on other variables involved) and does not automatically introduce "tension" ....But I will state again as I did in my fist statement, how much difference (as a universal method ) it might actually make, I am not certain and am willing to entertain all view points on the matter .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 12-30-2018 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Rule # 1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD