The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 09:10 AM

I've been playing for 45 years, I never paid much attention to how the 'physics' work on guitar instruments. I went to NAMM in Anaheim this year and visited Taylors Room where the deals are made... I had no idea about V Bracing prior to picking up their Builders Edition K14ce, I just thought hmm... that's an interesting looking guitar so I picked it up and played it just as I had been doing from dozens of other manufacturers. I own a '06 - 814ce and love that guitar btw but the moment I picked this one up I knew it was something special. What I noticed is that is was much easier to play and the volume seemed to be higher even though I wasn't playing too hard because I didn't want to disrupt a meeting just two tables next to me. The chords sounded more precise and I definitely noticed the improved sustain and clarity. The feel of the neck with the rounded corners, beveled cutaway and arm rest with that 'easy to play' finish throughout contributed to the overall playability of the guitar. Two days later I have already ordered one for myself (I wasn't even remotely in the market) and will be selling my 814 to make room. I was completely blown away and I'm convinced this is going to be a huge hit for Taylor and eventually thousands of guitar players around the world will be thanking them for this.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrplyrinla View Post
I've been playing for 45 years, I never paid much attention to how the 'physics' work on guitar instruments. I went to NAMM in Anaheim this year and visited Taylors Room where the deals are made... I had no idea about V Bracing prior to picking up their Builders Edition K14ce, I just thought hmm... that's an interesting looking guitar so I picked it up and played it just as I had been doing from dozens of other manufacturers. I own a '06 - 814ce and love that guitar btw but the moment I picked this one up I knew it was something special. What I noticed is that is was much easier to play and the volume seemed to be higher even though I wasn't playing too hard because I didn't want to disrupt a meeting just two tables next to me. The chords sounded more precise and I definitely noticed the improved sustain and clarity. The feel of the neck with the rounded corners, beveled cutaway and arm rest with that 'easy to play' finish throughout contributed to the overall playability of the guitar. Two days later I have already ordered one for myself (I wasn't even remotely in the market) and will be selling my 814 to make room. I was completely blown away and I'm convinced this is going to be a huge hit for Taylor and eventually thousands of guitar players around the world will be thanking them for this.
Thanks for posting your experience, gtrplyrinla. I look forward to hearing more when you get yours so please post a NGD thread about it. How exciting.

Best,
Jayne
Old 01-31-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
While I believe you and am only waiting to see for myself, I'd say good luck selling that to this crowd. They'll probably accuse you of being a Taylor plant

Yamaha FG365s (1978)
Martin 000-28
Taylor 814ce
Taylor 458e
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa
Washburn Timeless Series Celtic Mandolin

Boss DR-01S Rhythm Partner
Boss RC-30 Loop Station
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Shubb capos
Bunch of boutique picks (cheap GAS cure)

Old 01-31-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Thanks for posting your experience, gtrplyrinla. I look forward to hearing more when you get yours so please post a NGD thread about it. How exciting.
The positive experience report sheds some light on the target of this marketing campaign. If we have three potential groups that could be targeted by this 1) player who generally don't care much about Taylor and prefer other brands 2) players who are brand neutral or don't care about brands, and 3) Taylor enthusiasts - I would think that this last group is most likely to be affected by this new bracing and may decide to add another Taylor or replace an older model.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
The positive experience report sheds some light on the target of this marketing campaign. If we have three potential groups that could be targeted by this 1) player who generally don't care much about Taylor and prefer other brands 2) players who are brand neutral or don't care about brands, and 3) Taylor enthusiasts - I would think that this last group is most likely to be affected by this new bracing and may decide to add another Taylor or replace an older model.
And though I have not played one in person, just going on the videos and anecdotal reports, the guitar's tone is still pretty much the sound that Taylor is known for. For those who do not prefer that tone, I am not sure if the changes in volume, sustain and lower inharmonicity will persuade them.

Best,
Jayne
Old 01-31-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Registered 30-01-2018
1 post
Taylor's Marketing Machine intensifies...

Now that the proper fingerstyle demos are available, which are my thing. (Any links to the x vs v comparisons yet?)
All I can say is that it still sounds like a Taylor (heard better ones before). And it is still leagues away from the latest Santa Cruz, Froggie Bottom, and Kim Walker guitar video demos released by the Music Emporium this month. Which are pretty much what I consider perfect sounding guitars for my fingerpicking taste. Each with it's own flavour of out-of-this-world greatness.

As for another consideration on Taylor claims...
"Even sustain and volume across the fretboard" - Pretty much how most people describe OM guitars. So I guess they just found out how to make any guitar sound like a guitar first build in the early 20th century.
"Better intonation up the neck" - From my understanting the "problem" of intonation on guitars come from 2 things (please correct me if I forgot something).
1-Guitars are not (usually) tuned in perfect fifths;
2-All strings even being of differents gauges and tuned to different notes, have exactly the same scale lenght. Which can bring a load of problems even with compensation at the saddle.
Changing the bracing does not change any of these things. And don't make a guitar be in tune "like a piano"(temperament, etc). All bracing can do on a properly voiced guitar is getting rid of wolf notes and inconsistencies, and the type of bracing isn't relevant, only the proper voicing of the guitar.
For a guitar to be more in tune like a piano you are going to need different scale lenghts for each open string as a start, more apropriate to each note and string gauge. The best solution to this "problem" so far is the fan fret design.

Seriously... Even Somogyi uses a x bracing pattern...
Old 01-31-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindellama View Post
Registered 30-01-2018
1 post
Taylor's Marketing Machine intensifies...

Now that the proper fingerstyle demos are available, which are my thing. (Any links to the x vs v comparisons yet?)
All I can say is that it still sounds like a Taylor (heard better ones before). And it is still leagues away from the latest Santa Cruz, Froggie Bottom, and Kim Walker guitar video demos released by the Music Emporium this month. Which are pretty much what I consider perfect sounding guitars for my fingerpicking taste. Each with it's own flavour of out-of-this-world greatness.

As for another consideration on Taylor claims...
"Even sustain and volume across the fretboard" - Pretty much how most people describe OM guitars. So I guess they just found out how to make any guitar sound like a guitar first build in the early 20th century.
"Better intonation up the neck" - From my understanting the "problem" of intonation on guitars come from 2 things (please correct me if I forgot something).
1-Guitars are not (usually) tuned in perfect fifths;
2-All strings even being of differents gauges and tuned to different notes, have exactly the same scale lenght. Which can bring a load of problems even with compensation at the saddle.
Changing the bracing does not change any of these things. And don't make a guitar be in tune "like a piano"(temperament, etc). All bracing can do on a properly voiced guitar is getting rid of wolf notes and inconsistencies, and the type of bracing isn't relevant, only the proper voicing of the guitar.
For a guitar to be more in tune like a piano you are going to need different scale lenghts for each open string as a start, more apropriate to each note and string gauge. The best solution to this "problem" so far is the fan fret design.

Seriously... Even Somogyi uses a x bracing pattern...

Yamaha FG365s (1978)
Martin 000-28
Taylor 814ce
Taylor 458e
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa
Washburn Timeless Series Celtic Mandolin

Boss DR-01S Rhythm Partner
Boss RC-30 Loop Station
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Shubb capos
Bunch of boutique picks (cheap GAS cure)

Old 02-02-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Exodus View Post
While I believe you and am only waiting to see for myself, I'd say good luck selling that to this crowd. They'll probably accuse you of being a Taylor plant
The first thing I did look at was the post count.....ironic that I probably only have about 9 posts myself.

I did wonder how the V bracing made it easier to play, but then he elaborated.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
hmmm...... to echo another poster, something seems fishy with this post!
Old 02-02-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Andy, is that you? Bob?
Old 02-02-2018, 08:48 PM

The truth will get out soon enough once the v-bracing models are available for the general public to try. Then the “real” people on this forum will share their honest opinions.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Wow, this thread has a life and an afterlife.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:38 PM

In about 2 weeks Taylor starts it's North American tour "New Model Showcase" events, so we'll know more soon!
Old 02-06-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athens View Post
The final proof is the end product, not the marketing pieces.

I'll reserve judgement until I get the chance to play one of the redesigns.

You'll notice that there's only one Taylor in my sig and it's an older one.

None of their recent designs has impressed me enough to lay down my money.

We'll see if that changes.
When will the shops have them? What will the cost range be?
Old 02-07-2018, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindellama View Post
Registered 30-01-2018
1 post

2001 Gibson J-185
2005 Washburn J-12SN
2009 Larrivée F-III LS-03RHB #36
2014 Martin 000-18
2022 Merkuloff DS
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion