The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-23-2018, 04:45 PM

Default Taylor 714ce V Class

Hey acoustic folks! I've been itching to try one of the new Taylor V class guitars.

Taylor 714ce V Class

My guitar shop (Long & McQuade Calgary) just got a new 714ce V Class in AND had a regular X braced 714ce right beside it so I was able to do a very enlightening comparison.

The best phrase I can use to describe the V Class is "warm balance". The guitar resonates very EVENLY all the way up and down the neck. The sound just seems to envelop you more. I couldn't find any of the claimed intonation differences between the X and the V brace but I was in an acoustic room where there was other noise and never got a chance to put a capo on and play it quietly up the neck.

I CAN say there is a definite difference between what are essentially identical guitars but for the bracing patterns.

I was surprised the V Class guitar was $400 (Cdn) less expensive than the traditional one. Go figure.

Still, since I have a Martin 000-28vs for fingerstyle and a Gibson SJ200 for strumming, there isn't a niche that this guitar fit (especially at that price) but I found the A/B'ing of the two guitars very interesting. Andy Powers is definitely on to something here.

18 Taylor GS Mini-e Walnut
14 Godin Multiac Classical
12 Martin 000-28vs
12 Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
12 Gibson SJ200 Golden Age
10 Gretsch G5122DC
09 Taylor GA3-12e
04 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
81 Rickenbacker 320JG
68 Yamaha FG150 Red Label

My Soundclick Music Page
Old 05-23-2018, 06:17 PM

My oh my the 714 V class is here in Canada?! I know what I'm doing this weekend!!
Thanks for sharing.

Love the look of the wood appointments.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:55 AM
Charter Member

I love the 7 series and am dying to try the V-braced one, too. My local shop has the new 814 and it resonates like a 12 fretter. Not saying it's better than the traditional (former) version, but I definitely liked the sound. I think the 7 series with the wood appointments are just beautiful and can't wait to try one.

if it's anything close to what I heard from the 814, one will likely be in my house
Old 05-24-2018, 06:56 AM

Thumbs up

After trying all sorts of guitars (Martin, Gibson, Taylor, etc), including the 714/814/914 models (V-class and X-braced) I settled on the 714ce v-class... the sound just blew me away when comparing them and there was a noticeable positive difference with the v-class. Now I can't stop playing it. Trust me, its a great guitar! Just my 2-cents...
Old 05-28-2018, 03:47 AM

Default 714ce with V-Class Low E Not Sustaining

I’ve had a 714ce with V-class bracing from Sweetwater for about a week, and I'm still puzzling with it. I like the sound in general, but this guitar doesn’t have noticeably more sustain than other acoustics I’ve owned, and, in fact, the low "E" on mine decays a lot faster than the other strings do, especially when fretted. It’s a little “thuddy,” if that makes sense. I've installed a bone saddle and changed strings a few times, so it's not that.

Has anyone else experienced this? Did I just get a bad one?

Mine isn't particularly resonant, either -- it's not very loud like someone said the 814 with V-class bracing they tried was. Is Sika louder in general than Lutz?

It’s a good looking guitar, and has a very pure sound without a lot of overtones. I'm thinking of exchanging it for either another 714 -- or maybe an 814.

Last edited by rwhitney; 05-28-2018 at 05:19 AM.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitney View Post
I’ve had a 714ce with V-class bracing from Sweetwater for about a week, and I'm still puzzling with it. I like the sound in general, but this guitar doesn’t have noticeably more sustain than other acoustics I’ve owned, and, in fact, the low "E" on mine decays a lot faster than the other strings do, especially when fretted. It’s a little “thuddy,” if that makes sense. I've installed a bone saddle and changed strings a few times, so it's not that.

Mine isn't particularly resonant, either -- it's not very loud like someone said the 814 with V-class bracing they tried was. Is Sika louder in general than Lutz?

It’s a good looking guitar, and has a very pure sound without a lot of overtones. I'm thinking of exchanging it for either another 714 -- or maybe an 814.

It’s probably not your imagination. If the guitar in that price range isn’t knocking your socks off in the first 20 minutes, then you should consider something else. They all get better with age, but a good one should, at the very least, be enjoyable when you unbox it.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:

It is absolutely possible that you got a dog instead of a gem. Luckily Sweetwater has a great return policy. Taylor's guitars, like anyone else's assembly line models can vary greatly. I say send it back, at least for an exchange. The problem with buying acoustics sight unseen is that you get what you get. If you have a relationship with your Sweetwater rep a good one will go down and test and select a specific instrument for you. If you don't have a rep with good acoustic skills request they find someone who does to test for you.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 05-28-2018, 08:18 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Does the label inside the guitar indicate that it's a v braced guitar? Just curious.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-28-2018, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
It is absolutely possible that you got a dog instead of a gem. Luckily Sweetwater has a great return policy. Taylor's guitars, like anyone else's assembly line models can vary greatly. I say send it back, at least for an exchange. The problem with buying acoustics sight unseen is that you get what you get. If you have a relationship with your Sweetwater rep a good one will go down and test and select a specific instrument for you. If you don't have a rep with good acoustic skills request they find someone who does to test for you.
My Sweetwater rep is Ian Angle and he has always covered my back on guitars I bought without the luxury of being able to play first.

On your 714, I would try different string brands if you are changing strings. You may be doing this. I’ve been lucky with Taylor guitars I have bought, they have all been keepers.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 05-28-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Does the label inside the guitar indicate that it's a v braced guitar? Just curious.
Yes, it does. It has the new label signed by Andy Powers, and the graphite nut. The bracing pattern itself is also easy to determine from the sound hole.

It’s difficult to know if the 6th string fast decay is characteristic of this model. No one else has reported having this problem, so I’m hopeful. I’ll see if any guitar stores in my area has one to compare. Sweetwater is currently out of 714s and 814s with V-class so I will have to wait, I’ll also have to pay $68 shipping at least 3 ways if I make an exchange, and my rep is a keyboard player who’ll have to get someone else to help with selecting one once they do come in.

While this 714 isn’t knocking my socks off, it has an unusual clarity, the evenness throughout the fingerboard others have noted — a modern piano-like quality I haven’t experiened with other acoustics. Some Collings I’ve played in stores have come close (when the strings are new) but I think this is a fairly unique sound I’d really like to dig into if I can find a more resonant one without a thuddy 6th string.

Last edited by rwhitney; 05-28-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:06 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Yes, it does. It’s the new label signed by Andy Powers.
Ok good thanks.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-28-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Yes, it does. It has the new label signed by Andy Powers, and the graphite nut. The bracing pattern itself is also easy to determine from the sound hole.

It’s difficult to know if the 6th string fast decay is characteristic of this model. No one else has reported having this problem, so I’m hopeful. I’ll see if any guitar stores in my area has one to compare. Sweetwater is currently out of 714s and 814s with V-class so I will have to wait, I’ll also have to pay $68 shipping at least 3 ways if I make an exchange, and my rep is a keyboard player who’ll have to get someone else to help with selecting one once they do come in.

While this 714 isn’t knocking my socks off, it has an unusual clarity, the evenness throughout the fingerboard others have noted — a modern piano-like quality I haven’t experiened with other acoustics. Some Collings I’ve played in stores have come close (when the strings are new) but I think this is a fairly unique sound I’d really like to dig into if I can find a more resonant one without a thuddy 6th string.
You shouldn't have to pay for return shipping. Tell them about the thuddy string and ask them to take care of you. They took care of me for a similar problem.
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:53 PM

I received a discount, so they’re charging shipping so as not to lose money on the deal.

I played several Taylors today, including an 814ce with V-Class bracing, and most exhibited to some extent the deadness I’m experiencing with my 714ce; but not all: I played a pre-V class 714 whose low E had plenty of sustain. There’s definitely considerable variation even with Taylor’s, so it seems theoretically possible to get one I’m satisfied with.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:

I played a V braced 914 for the first time over the weekend and was completely underwhelmed. It was in the shop of a very well known luthier and we were both marveling at how bad the low E sounded. Little sustain and "thuddy" would be a good way to describe it. He said that when it first came it, the first thing he did was look inside to make sure they hadn't left a clamping caul stuck to the bridge or something. We A/B'd it with a couple nice guitars he had in the shop and it was clear that the 914 was either a dud or that Taylor is really pulling the wool over peoples eyes. I hope it's the former because despite looking awesome, the guitar just didn't sound that good.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
I played a V braced 914 for the first time over the weekend and was completely underwhelmed. It was in the shop of a very well known luthier and we were both marveling at how bad the low E sounded. Little sustain and "thuddy" would be a good way to describe it. He said that when it first came it, the first thing he did was look inside to make sure they hadn't left a clamping caul stuck to the bridge or something. We A/B'd it with a couple nice guitars he had in the shop and it was clear that the 914 was either a dud or that Taylor is really pulling the wool over peoples eyes. I hope it's the former because despite looking awesome, the guitar just didn't sound that good.
I hope this problem doesn't exist through the whole V-class line.

Last edited by rwhitney; 05-29-2018 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Unnecessary speculation

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion