The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-22-2018, 06:32 AM

Default My turn to test out the Yamaha CSF guitars... in Tokyo

So I'm in Tokyo for some personal/professional matters, which on paper provides me a perfect opportunity to get my hands on the new Yamaha CSF guitars. But these instruments (especially the 3M) have proven to be more elusive than I expected, as many stores do not have them in stock. Eventually I flagged a store that has both in stock, and got some time with them today.

First, the common traits. These guitars are SUPER light, even more so than other parlor guitars in similar sizes. I get the impression that these are not overbuilt. Also, the passive pickups on both models were fantastic. The string balance was consistent, and the Fishman Loudbox amp at the store didn't even need a quarter turn of the volume knob (from the "off" position) to fill the acoustic room at the store. Regarding playability, as expected, the 600-mm scale makes it easier on the lower frets but presents a bit of a space issue on the upper frets. The guitars are better suited for cowboy chords than playing up the neck.

On the other hand, the difference in tone between the top-solid CSF1M and the all-solid CSF3M was pretty noticeable, at least to my set of ears. The volume difference was negligible, but the 3M just had more complexity and depth even with a very slight hint of overtones. This was a classic example of what a solid back can provide over a laminate back, with all else being equal. Is it worth about $100-150 price increase from the 1M to the 3M? I'd say yes.

Last edited by TokyoNeko; 05-22-2018 at 06:44 AM.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:46 AM

Great info. Thanks for posting it. Enjoy Tokyo.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Hmmm... thanks for the heads up. I'm loving the tobacco burst CSF1M that I bought last Monday. Beautiful, flawless little instrument. So comfortable to play and natural sounding. I've bought a pair of Composite Acoustics Cargos as well that I'm loving. But I will have to keep an eye out for the CSF3M as well. Didn't realize there was an all-solid version of that guitar.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:34 PM

How is the currency conversion rate? Is it reasonable to purchase one there and bring it home?
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 05-22-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
Hmmm... thanks for the heads up. I'm loving the tobacco burst CSF1M that I bought last Monday. Beautiful, flawless little instrument. So comfortable to play and natural sounding. I've bought a pair of Composite Acoustics Cargos as well that I'm loving. But I will have to keep an eye out for the CSF3M as well. Didn't realize there was an all-solid version of that guitar.
I played a Cargo years ago. It's a fine guitar in its own right, but a 22.75" scale length makes things too cramped for my fingers from the 6th fret and up. Practically, I can't go any shorter than the CSF's 23.6" scale. Not to mention that I really prefer the sound of the wood to that of the carbon fiber.

Would you have bought a 3M if there was one readily available? It didn't sound like you had one around you. From my personal perception, the 1M did sound a tad boxy, whereas the 3M didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
How is the currency conversion rate? Is it reasonable to purchase one there and bring it home?
The listed prices in stores (which almost always are actual sales prices) are:

- CSF1M: 51,000 JPY pre-tax (equivalent to $460 USD on 5/23)
- CSF3M: 63,750 JPY pre-tax (equivalent to $575 USD on 5/23)

As someone on a tourist visa, I would be able to buy without paying the 8% tax here in Japan. For the 3M, it still represents about a $25 increase compared to what I could get via web purchase in the U.S. But there is something to be said for being able to play beforehand and determine whether it's really worth buying. It's still almost impossible to do in the U.S., given the lack of availability.

It's a bit ironic that a Japanese-brand guitar would cost more in Japan than in the U.S.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoNeko View Post
I played a Cargo years ago. It's a fine guitar in its own right, but a 22.75" scale length makes things too cramped for my fingers from the 6th fret and up. Practically, I can't go any shorter than the CSF's 23.6" scale. Not to mention that I really prefer the sound of the wood to that of the carbon fiber.

Would you have bought a 3M if there was one readily available? It didn't sound like you had one around you. From my personal perception, the 1M did sound a tad boxy, whereas the 3M didn't.

The listed prices in stores (which almost always are actual sales prices) are:

- CSF1M: 51,000 JPY pre-tax (equivalent to $460 USD on 5/23)
- CSF3M: 63,750 JPY pre-tax (equivalent to $575 USD on 5/23)

As someone on a tourist visa, I would be able to buy without paying the 8% tax here in Japan. For the 3M, it still represents about a $25 increase compared to what I could get via web purchase in the U.S. But there is something to be said for being able to play beforehand and determine whether it's really worth buying. It's still almost impossible to do in the U.S., given the lack of availability.

It's a bit ironic that a Japanese-brand guitar would cost more in Japan than in the U.S.
I have small hands, so the shorter scale doesn't seem to bother me at all. When going back and forth between the CSF1M and Cargo, the Cargo has a deeper bass, but the CSF is woodier (makes sense). I bought the Cargos for the live pop cover looping project I'm currently working to get rolling. I wanted a pair of guitars that I can tap/beat on without being overly concerned with damage. I can't bring myself to do that to a wood guitar. I always have a spare when I gig out, so that's why I bought a 2nd one off eBay last night. I got both for around $850 each used.

I would have loved to have tried a CSF3M, but the dealer that I bought my 1M from didn't have a 3M in stock and I didn't know about the CSF series' existence when I walked in. I actually drove 120 miles to that dealer to check the Taylor GS Minis and Martin LX out. But then I spied the Yamaha and preferred the look and sound of the 1M to both of those brands. Surprised me!
Old 05-23-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
I have small hands, so the shorter scale doesn't seem to bother me at all. When going back and forth between the CSF1M and Cargo, the Cargo has a deeper bass, but the CSF is woodier (makes sense). I bought the Cargos for the live pop cover looping project I'm currently working to get rolling. I wanted a pair of guitars that I can tap/beat on without being overly concerned with damage. I can't bring myself to do that to a wood guitar. I always have a spare when I gig out, so that's why I bought a 2nd one off eBay last night. I got both for around $850 each used.
That's not a bad deal for the Cargos. Based on your usage case, it makes sense to have durable CF guitars.

Quote:
I would have loved to have tried a CSF3M, but the dealer that I bought my 1M from didn't have a 3M in stock and I didn't know about the CSF series' existence when I walked in. I actually drove 120 miles to that dealer to check the Taylor GS Minis and Martin LX out. But then I spied the Yamaha and preferred the look and sound of the 1M to both of those brands. Surprised me!
IMO, the Little Martins and Baby Taylors aren't even in the same class as the CSFs. The GS Minis come close, but the all-solid 3M does make a difference.

After debating for a couple of days, I have decided to go ahead and purchase the guitar here in Japan. The shop that I visited the other day told me that they have a tobacco burst model coming in today, so I'm going to check it out soon.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:54 PM

Good luck [emoji106]they are wonderful guitars
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion