The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-24-2018, 04:10 PM

Default Resonators - Aiersi Vs. Republic?

Hi, Sorry if this has been asked a bunch, but does anybody have any experience with these 2 brands - Aiersi Vs. Republic? Compared/played? Are they the same (besides the set up)?

Aiersi looks like a great deal... but not sure if you get what you pay for....
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...nator&_sacat=0

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2018, 10:41 AM

There are threads on here about the two brands. To my eyes, they appear to be made in the same factory, with minor differences. The major difference with Republic is they claim to do some set up work to make the guitar playable. I own a Republic Parlor Reso. They both appear to be a good value, given that a National will cost you three times as much. Still, needed some work upon arrival, but that is not uncommon for import resos. You may want to get a National biscuit for it too, and have it cut for your instrument. You will likely have better harmonics.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:54 AM

My response may not sit well, but I’m not sure I’d go with either. Rather like banjos - where cheaper models show their pedigree, ive found the same with resonators. In other words - half decent resonators are more pricy for a reason.

In the same way I’ve only been disappointed with cheap banjos, I’ve found the same with reso’s. Same doesn’t apply to cheaper wooden guitars, ukuleles etc, where stellar things can be found for less money, though I don’t know why that is.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:32 AM

Don't know anything about Aiersi, never heard of one until this post, so I can't give much of a comparison. I do have a Republic Hwy 61 that I have had a couple of years, love the thing, play it pretty much daily, its what they call a shorty I think, 12 fret but has a cut away so no issue's, small bodied, pretty comfortable to play. Build quality is nothing to be excited about but it plays well and stays in tune. I do love the tone I get out of it, it has great mojo, just a fun guitar. Haven't played many other resonators, and nothing of real quality so my experience is limited, but with that said, I feel no interest in upgrading to something with a higher price tag, the one I have is just plain enjoyable to sit with. You can get the guys at Republic to set it up the way you want it, hard to beat for the price.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:32 AM

I haven't of Aiersi either, but my 2c - while Nationals are, without a doubt, the best resonators out there, I wouldn't necessarily write off the cheaper brands. Before I got my national I went on a bit of a non-national resonator sampling frenzy a tried all that I could find - some Regals, some others, and a bunch of Republics, which were the main contenders before I ended up with a HotRod Steel. Just the other day I played a Gretsch Bobtail that had a beautiful sweet tone (it's a spider). What I would say, though, is try before you buy if you can. One time I played two different Bobtails, side by side, in a store - one was really nice and the other was pretty awful. Most republics I tried were pretty nice, one was great (a miniolian) and one was a dog's breakfast.
TLDR - If you haven't the budget for a National, give the others a chance.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Tags
aiersi, republic, resonators