The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-23-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentKooper View Post
Why, what’s wrong with LA Guitar Sales?
In my experience.....NOTHING.

I sealed a deal with Ted for not one, but TWO Eastman guitars. He and Helene couldn't have been any more wonderful to work with. I took plenty of Ted's time, both over e-mail and via telephone call, to discuss the type of thing I was after. He was helpful in more ways than I could count.

Once I picked out the stuff I wanted, I was passed over to Helene, who was an absolute sweetheart. Communication after-the-sale was incredible.

As far as I'm concerned, I couldn't have had a more positive online shopping experience.

That...coupled with Eastman's reputation for kicking out guitars that punch FAR above their weight class...and I'm a happy man.
'20 PRS P20
'19 Yamaha FS830
Old 05-23-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
I often post this vid of my Eastman E-10SS (adi over hog) in these Eastman threads. Looked through this one and see I hadn't. Many folks have told me they've enjoyed this clip.

This is an Eastman slope dread being played live into a $100 Shure mic. This is the reason I hate pickups.

The song is one of the greatest ever written by an American songwriter "The Dutchman" by Michael Peter Smith. If you've never heard this song, you owe it to yourself, and to Mr. Smith.

I've told you this before, but I really like that performance. The guitar sounds great, the playing is excellent and you sing it beautifully. Thanks for sharing again.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
Questions like this are like comparing Heinz Ketchup to a much cheaper store brand ketchup. They both are red and they both have the same ingredients on the label. Most people say that they can taste a difference, and many will say that one tastes just as good (or bad) as the other, and many will say that the Heinz is much better. Even a few will say that the store brand tastes better. So for me it's not so much a matter of the guitar or the brand but of the person and his/her perception. If you love store brands then an Eastman will be great "value" and make you happy. If only Heinz ketchup satisfies your palate, then an Eastman might not be as good a value.
Respectfully, that is not a good analogy or comparison mainly for the fact of where they are made and the cost to make them. I am sure if Heinz was/is made in the same place that Eastman guitars are made, it is less expensive than the Heinz Ketchup made in Canada or the USA. The reason is not that it is different, but the labour costs are so much less in some parts of the world than elsewhere.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:26 PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ddWC_aAK7hk
Old 05-23-2018, 08:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

John, yes, you have, but I do appreciate you taking the time to comment once again. I've probably been playing "The Dutchman" for at least thirty years. I first heard it when I saw my hero Steve Goodman in concert. My version is more or less the way he did it. Sure do miss him, every day.

Thanks again. For those who don't know the songs of Michael Smith, you are really missing something special.

sm
Old 05-24-2018, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentKooper View Post
Why, what’s wrong with LA Guitar Sales?
I read elsewhere that he incurred a quality issue on a fairly new Martin, which he purchased new from LA Guitar Sales. Since it's neither my issue nor related to Eastman, I won't comment further on this thread.

My experience with Ted has been the same as drawshot1975. Last year, I purchased five guitars from LA Guitar Sales. A couple were easy decisions, while others required much more of Ted's time and expertise, which were always provided honestly and without reservation.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:16 PM

Is this a thread about the quality of Eastman Guitars or a thread about LA guitar sales?
Tom
E20 OM-SB Eastman
Old 05-25-2018, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Question asked.
Question answered.

Love my Eastman guitars. And I've already commented on my many positive Eastman experiences, both in this thread and elsewhere.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Wonderful instruments all throughout their lineup.

Great folks.

scott memmer
Old 05-25-2018, 08:24 PM

I just spent the better part of 4 hours with my two new Eastman guitars...and here's my take on two models, specifically:

E20D - TONS of low end boom, with an exceptionally balanced and clear tone across all strings...with overtones that you can expect from a solid rosewood body. This is my first foray into Adirondack tops...and I'm digging it. Setup was great, right out of the box. Fit and finish is exceptional. The guitar is LOUD, but refuses to get muddy when digging in. This is every bit as good as a D28, IMO. Sounds just a bit different than my Martin did, but I would, without hesitation, go toe-to-toe with a Martin Dreadnought. This is no affront to Martins, as I like them, too...but my E20D is, absolutely, an equal to a D28 in every way imaginable.

E1OOSS - THE perfect blues machine. So much warmth and resonance. Once again, fit and finish are amazing. Setup on this one is PERFECT. The satin finish feels and looks awesome. Mine is #17 of 130. I believe 65 came to the U.S., and 65 went elsewhere, overseas. Forget 'Lucky 7,'.......'17' is the REAL lucky number! It has an 11/16" nut width, but I don't feel cramped on the fretboard at all. This is, beyond a doubt, a guitar worth 5x the cost. I've toyed with guitars in the $3500 range that can't hold a candle to this sweet little OO Slope Shoulder.

A HUGE tip of the hat to Ted and Helene at LA Guitar Sales. Wonderful people, and both guitars are home runs!
'20 PRS P20
'19 Yamaha FS830
Old 05-26-2018, 12:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Wonderful instruments all throughout their lineup.
Agreed. We have three in the house (E6D, AJ817-12 string, and AJ816), and tonally, they can jam with any guitar out there with no embarrassment.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:51 PM

Default "Are Eastmans A Good Value?"

Definitely D!
I own a 2016 Eastman E20D. It
compares favorably to a 2003 Martin D-28 Clarence White I owned.
I’m no fan of the V neck on the Martin.
The Eastman is a joy to play. I may replace the tuners with some Waverlys
at some future point.

[emoji1365]❤️
1968 Gibson EB3
2010 Hofner Club Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion