The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-01-2012, 02:53 PM

Default Changing tuners for feel?

I really like my new Godin 5th Avenue but its tuner buttons feel tiny and uncomfortable compared to the Gotoh WSEP770 (slotted) on my Faith 000 12 fret.

Do many of you change tuners because of similar uncomfortable feeling or do you change only if they are worn?

Ian
Old 09-01-2012, 03:25 PM

Hey Ian -

Heck, change the tuners out for any reason you like! :-) . I like to have a good "feel" to my guitar as well as a good "sound" - tuners are a big part of that.

Go for it.

Clark
Old 09-01-2012, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

How do you like your 5th Avenue otherwise? They sure look sweet! Is it the acoustic version or Kingpin?
Old 09-01-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
How do you like your 5th Avenue otherwise? They sure look sweet! Is it the acoustic version or Kingpin?
Here it is and its a Kingpin P-90

Old 09-01-2012, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Nice!!!!! So that makes it a Kingpin then, correct? How do you like it?
Old 09-01-2012, 03:44 PM

Its as you said "sweet". Very light weight, finish is flawless, tuner pegs are little small, P-90 is for 30s and 40s style (well I think so). Neck has perfect alignment with just the slightest of upward curve. I have the adjustable bridge lowered to max and there is absolutely no fret buzz.

I changed the nickel strings to my favourite Phosphor Bronze.

My amp is a simple Peavey Ecoustic 20 that has no frills but has an 8" concentric cone speaker. I have played it through my 150W Peavey KB300 keyboard amp but the Peavey 20 sounds just as nice.

Ian

Last edited by Beemer; 09-01-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer View Post
Do many of you change tuners because of similar uncomfortable feeling or do you change only if they are worn?
Yes, I for one will change out tuners for something I like better for no reason other than I dislike the stock tuners. You have more than enough reason to switch out the tuners on that guitar, in my opinion, but before you do that you might want to investigate whether you can get some aftermarket tuner buttons that you find more comfortable to use.

All of the Godin-made guitars I've seen in recent years have had Ping tuners on them. The backplate on them will say "Seagull" or "Godin" or whatever, but they're made by Ping.

Ping gears will take the aftermarket buttons intended for Schallers. You can buy them at online suppliers like Stewart-MacDonald and Allparts:

http://www.allparts.com/Bushings-and...how=200&page=1

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/T...ent_Knobs.html

Something to bear in mind is that the suitability of these tuner buttons will depend in part on the spacing of the tuner gears on the headstock. They might be too close together to be able to use the larger buttons and still turn the tuner buttons freely without running into each other.

Best thing you can do to discover that is to call around the music stores in your area and talk to their repair techs to see whether they might have some old Schaller gears in the parts box that you can look at, then take the guitar down to that shop, take a couple of full-sized Schaller buttons off the old gears, and see whether they'll fit in the space you have on the back of that peghead.

The Schallers and the Pings do not have the exact same tuner button shaft shape, but the size is correct and if you twirl the Schaller button around on the shaft you'll find one place where the angles of the Schaller button and the Ping shaft will fit together.

Or you can skip all that scrounging around and just buy another set of tuners. Be mindful of the tuner spacing on the headstock when you buy them, though, or they might not fit on in the space that the existing tuner shaft holes give you.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 09-01-2012, 04:47 PM

Wade,

Yes it made sense but was a surprise that i could just change the pegs! I'll check it out.

That said I still prefer vintage tuners!

Ian
Old 09-01-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Wade,

Yes it made sense but was a surprise that i could just change the pegs! I'll check it out.
Yes, you can change the buttons without having to remove the entire tuning gear.

Quote:
That said I still prefer vintage tuners!
Then that's what you should get. You'll probably need to get adaptor bushings to take up the extra space in the shaft holes, though, because most of the vintage-style open back gears on the market have shafts that are smaller in diameter than the shafts on the modern sealed gear tuners.

whm
Old 09-01-2012, 07:05 PM

The tuners on this Kingpin P-90 look like Kluson type repros so changing just the buttons is not an option, I believe.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
The tuners on this Kingpin P-90 look like Kluson type repros so changing just the buttons is not an option, I believe.
Good spotting there, Eagle Eye - I missed that entirely.

Here are a couple of pictures of the tuning gears:

Beemer, sorry to have misled you on your options in my previous posts on this thread. As Jeff just pointed out, changing out the buttons won't work because these aren't modern style sealed gear tuners. My suggestion was wrong.

What I would suggest you do instead is get some Gotoh Kluson copies with the butterbean tuner buttons, like these:

That one's gold-plated, but you can get them in chrome or nickel, too, which would be a better match for your instrument.

The butterbean tuner button does offer a better grip than the small oval buttons that are on the tuners you have.

You may still run into the size differential between the vintage style Gotoh shafts and the shafts on the Ping Kluson copies, in which case it's a simple matter to get the sort of adaptor bushings I mentioned earlier in this thread:

As you can see from the photo, these have thicker walls to take up the extra space in tuner shaft holes that are sized for thicker shafts. If there's any space for the tuner shaft to lean, it'll put premature wear on the gears and also affect tuner accuracy and stability. So you want that snug, not sloppy.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 09-02-2012, 01:00 AM

Wade,

Very helpful,

thanks

Ian
Old 09-02-2012, 10:35 AM

If you really want to dress up your Godin and get a much better tuner check out the Gotoh SD510 vintage nickle with the SLB or SL buttons in their catalog. The SD90 would look cool too.

http://www.japarts.ca/Content/Docs/GOTOH-2012.pdf
Old 09-02-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post

Ping gears will take the aftermarket buttons intended for Schallers. You can buy them at online suppliers like Stewart-MacDonald and Allparts:

Wade Hampton Miller
Wade, as far as I know Ping tuners will NOT take Schaller buttons. I wish they would, because I have quite a few Larrivees and Martins with Ping tuners, and I'd love some Schaller style ebony buttons for them.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 09-02-2012, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Yes, I for one will change out tuners for something I like better for no reason other than I dislike the stock tuners.
Wade Hampton Miller
Hey Wade...

I just wanted to say I'm glad you are part of the forum. Your years in the music world and ability to remember where things happened and come from is a great aid to others here.

It takes the old dogs to teach the new dogs the ropes...and how to play rock and the blues...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion