The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-22-2018, 11:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Strings can affect a guitar dramatically for good or bad.
I think it's just best to try different strings and see what your ears tell you.
Every guitar has it's own "platform" and you can modify the voicing by changing gauges and types.
That’s the opposite of what OP wants to do. He plays infrequently and wants long lasting strings so he can just pick it up and play every few weeks or month -without changing strings.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 05-23-2018, 04:26 PM

Default EXP38 vs EJ38

[/QUOTE] my usual 'go to' strings for 12-string guitars is D'Addario EXP38's which will easily last 12-months if the guitar is only played every couple of months.[/QUOTE]

I currently have D’Addario EJ38’s on the 12 string. What is the difference between the two?

'95 Blount custom 6-string acoustic
'95 Blount custom 12-string acoustic
Old 05-23-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlountFan View Post
I have two custom built Blount acoustic guitars. A 6 string cut-out and a full body 12 string. I do not play often and would like input on member choice for good sounding strings that still sound sweet after not being played for a month or two. I hate to restring the guitars every time I play them, especially when I do not play enough to properly break in a set.

Maybe I am expecting too much? These are both awesome sounding guitars and I do not mind spending what is needed to provide great sound and longevity.

I look forward to hearing back from season members. I am astonished by the wealth of knowledge on this site.
Just wipe your strings with a dry, lint-free cloth after playing and your strings will last much longer.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
Elixir Strings are probably the most lasting. Phosphor/Bronze nanoweb are the strings I have used the most. I have a set of Bronze on now and they sound fantastic and have an excellent feel to them.

I play everyday and I've been known to play strings to the point of long gone, and all done.

Old strings don't bother me in the least. I approach old strings in the way that it's a different tone. Allows you to dig in a little deeper, that's all.

You say you don't play much. Are you saying you put new strings on, play for a week and then don't play for a month.?? I'm wondering if strings go bad when they aren't played for a month.??

I think they would sound fine to me but... Your mileage may vary.
Elixirs are especially good if you don't get your guitars out very often.

Just did a video giving reasons why I like Elixir strings...

Acoustics: Martin D-35, 1924 Martin 0-28k, Taylor 814-ce, Gibson Dove, Lowden F-22, 60's Gibson Folksinger, Taylor 655, Martin Baritone (prototype), Larrivee Parlor (tuned high-strung)
Old 05-23-2018, 04:45 PM

my usual 'go to' strings for 12-string guitars is D'Addario EXP38's which will easily last 12-months if the guitar is only played every couple of months.[/QUOTE]

I currently have D’Addario EJ38’s on the 12 string. What is the difference between the two?[/QUOTE]

The EXP38's are the coated string version of EJ38's.
Elixir strings are also coated but I find them too slippery.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 05-23-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomiv9 View Post
Another recommendation for the 6 string is Santa Cruz strings. They have a very light coating so they last a long time, but they don't sound like coated strings if your like me and don't like that sound. Very warm sounding. The mid tension is slightly less tension then mediums, and Lo tension is a little less then regular lights.

This. They’re class. Those strings last and they just sound great.

I’ll also recommend Optima. They’re coated in 24k gold and they last a good while. Elixirs are also a nice string.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:22 PM

Default Thanks to all...

Thank you for your input. My reason for asking was a broken E string on a set of strings that had not been played since installing new six months ago. (Less than two hours on them six months ago with no hard strumming or fingering). Broke while tuning.

'95 Blount custom 6-string acoustic
'95 Blount custom 12-string acoustic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion