The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 05-23-2018, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Default NUD - Kenn Timms Style 0

I just unboxed, tuned and played this sweet little (about 3/4 pound) soprano made by the legendary Ken Timms from the UK. It is an all-mahogany little powerhouse. I have been jonesing for one of these for about a year, so that I could have a least one little, old-timey sounding uke in my collection. Ken builds and sells about 25 of these per year, and has a bit of a cult following, especially on the Ukulele Underground Forum. I feel very lucky to have gotten this uke!

Old 06-03-2018, 05:56 PM

very nice! Congrats!
Old 06-03-2018, 07:50 PM

Very nice! Here's a youtube review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1AeXdWVlX8
Old 06-04-2018, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Thanks guys! I am very familiar with that Got-a-Ukulele review. It drove the market price up on Ken’s ukes by almost two times. Even so, at $750 to $800 USD, I feel this uke is worth every penny. It has Tin Pan Alley bark that is so distinctive, and hard to find. I played a Kamaka Pineapple this weekend that came close, but still was not quite as “old Timey”.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:44 AM

Congrats, it has a very tasteful old-style Hawaiian look for sure, but looks like geared tuners.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
Congrats, it has a very tasteful old-style Hawaiian look for sure, but looks like geared tuners.
Thanks. Wish it had geared tuners. These are friction, because they have to be or it is not a bonafide Style 0 replica. I am considering retrofitting Gotoh UPTs, but will try these for a few months. Really not too bad once one gets used to them.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:06 PM

If the strings are fitted properly they rarely have to be adjusted. Friction tuners are fine for most ukes, and pretty easy to adjust to. Now, if you switch tunings, a good geared would be best, but even then, tuning on the fly is near impossible with nylon or fluorocarbon strings anyway due to the memory effect . Nice uke too!
Old 06-05-2018, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
If the strings are fitted properly they rarely have to be adjusted. Friction tuners are fine for most ukes, and pretty easy to adjust to. Now, if you switch tunings, a good geared would be best, but even then, tuning on the fly is near impossible with nylon or fluorocarbon strings anyway due to the memory effect . Nice uke too!
Thanks Neal. Good advice. I am finding it is not so hard to live with these friction tuners. And, I must add, your 12-string resonator video is quite impressive. Beautiful playing!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments