The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-05-2010, 05:23 AM

Default Advice needed: patch cables

I need some good quality patch cables but don't want to spend outrageous prices (e.g. Monster cables at GC). Any suggestions?
Old 08-05-2010, 05:48 AM

Go to GC, look on the counter in the guitar accessories area, and you'll see two or three clear plastic containers full of them for about 4 or 5 dolla. BTW, if you need patch cables made to fit, I highly recommend the Planet Waves kit. I was skeptical but they really work...I use the heck out of em'.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...Kit?sku=339123
Old 08-05-2010, 05:56 AM

Hi,

I have recently changed my cables and my tech has made them using Sommer Gallieo and the new XX series neutric black connectors with gold contacts.

The sound has indeed improved by around 30 %.

They are not that expensive.

Keyshore
Old 08-05-2010, 06:27 AM

For high quality DIY cables, I order parts from Redco. Mogami cable, Neutrik plugs (they make a nice silent plug that's more reliable than the old Switchcraft buttons), and for tough environments you can cover the cable with woven sheathing so they can't be cut by a chair leg. For premade cables I prefer DiMarzio cables with the cloth covering - not cheap anymore but not Monster prices. Lots of internet debates and taste tests for cable brands, but with the exception of the super hyped Monster, you get what you pay for.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:24 AM

Don't buy expensive cables. They have not improved the sound in my case and there was no audio differences compared to cheap ones.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tochiro View Post
Don't buy expensive cables. They have not improved the sound in my case and there was no audio differences compared to cheap ones.
I absolutely agree. I've purchased expensive cables only to find they make no audible difference at all.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification