The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-04-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Day 8: weird practice. Half of the repertoire went flawlessly but the other half? Ick. Lots of false starts, quite a few mistakes, some that I made it past, some that were show stoppers and I had to start the piece again. Sigh. Oh well, with the good comes the bad. At least I got to practice for 3+ hours! On a more postive note I made really good progress on Shuffle Rag tonight. I learned the whole first verse and the only thing that's still kicking my butt is a 5 string spanning lick that I need to practice. Otherwise I'm good to move onto the next verse.

And as threatened I recorded Freight Train: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...splay.php?f=20
Nice. Love the E lick.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:55 AM

I managed to get a recording of "Got the Blues" done but having recorded on a tablet it was very quiet played back through a computer so I need to have a look at the levels.
It's no where near as good as Doug's freight train mind you.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:10 AM

I picked up my guitar from the setup and had a great practice last night. I then practiced for about 15 minutes this morning and got considerably faster chord changes. I'm loving it!
Old 02-04-2014, 11:15 AM

Day 8 - Worked up to 168 on the Bonfa this morning. All's well with that one.
The Pachelbel Canon - another whole story!
Old 02-04-2014, 01:22 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
Nice. Love the E lick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftArm View Post
It's no where near as good as Doug's freight train mind you.
you guys are too kind. Thank you so much!
Old 02-04-2014, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staredge View Post
Well.....that might have been a mistake. Went to the open mic at a local coffee shop. The Music Cafe, in Damascus MD. Neat little place. Heard some great music, saw lots of really good players. Now I want to burn my guitar, which is bad because (A) then I wouldn't have one to play, and (B) because in actuality it isn't mine it's my fiancées. My goal is to play Dark Hollow and Monkey and the Engineer in two weeks (unless a possible trip to Iowa ends up happening).

Have to remember a couple little bottles of Jack Daniels for the guitar case that day!!!!
Never let other players intimidate you. Instead, let them inspire you to see the possibilities.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Hope I do a good job then!
You sure did!!!

Old 02-04-2014, 07:57 PM

Basically taking a second day off today. Hate not playing, but numb fingers suck. I'm going to try to play for short periods tomorrow and see if I can move my arms differently to reduce the numbness. Grrrrrr.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:10 AM

Day 6: I guess. Progress is good on Sweet Jivin' Mama. Maybe I'll record 2 takes and make mouth noises (sing) on one.

Erik
Old 02-05-2014, 08:03 AM

Back from a grueling 2 days in NY. Love Doug's freight train - I thought I could play that one, but am now reconsidering... But I am a beginner so can make excuses
Old 02-05-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamburmese View Post
Back from a grueling 2 days in NY. Love Doug's freight train - I thought I could play that one, but am now reconsidering... But I am a beginner so can make excuses
I'm no beginner but still make lots of excuses (lol)!
Old 02-05-2014, 09:22 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
You sure did!!!

Thank you again Toby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamburmese View Post
Please keep going. I didn't post it to discourage you. Really my rendition is crap compared to some of them out there.

And now for something completely different:

Day 9: half repertoire last night. Went well with assorted issues here and there. It still feels weird only doing half of my repertoire. Full repertoire practice tonight. Spent a lot of time with Shuffle Rag. I have the first verse down. It takes me a few tries but I am able to play it correctly so tonight I'll get the next section in my head and under my fingers. It's a bunch of sliding double stops that sound great. Can't tell if it's going to be hard or not. We'll see.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:14 AM

Work was closed today so I've gotten in HOURS of practice. Chord changes feel a but faster and am having fun playing some easy songs.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:22 AM

I played for about 15 mins before I had to go to work. I sucked!!!! Wouldn't have thought that two days off would have affected me THAT much. Fingers had a hard time finding chords. I'll try to play for a little bit more tonight. See if I've improved any.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:37 PM

Day 9 - Shovelled snow, then ran Manhã de Carnaval ten times at 176, then shovelled snow again. Worked on the Pachelbel for an hour then shovelled more snow. Had lunch, then more snow shovelling. Played Goodbye Robbie on one of my steel strings (I do most of my practicing on a classical guitar) and now I'm on my out out to shovel the driveway again. Not sure how much my guitar playing has improved lately but I can shovel snow with the best of 'em.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write