The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-27-2020, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Default Questions wanted about the Baggs Voiceprint DI..

Hi everyone,

I have been testing out the Voiceprint DI for the last couple of weeks and this week I’ll be filming a discussion on it with Lloyd and sharing my thoughts.

I would like to invite you to suggest any questions you have and while I can’t guarantee I will ask them it would be good to have some additional ideas to my own. Thanks!
Old 10-27-2020, 02:49 PM

1) Can they build it in the Synapse?

Better: can they build it into a 22lbs smaller version of the synapse?

2) they sell oem pickups and preamp, would they sell oem voiceprint di module?
I mean many FX (reverb/echo/delay) modules from mixers and amp are oem.

Since the wizardry is in the phone.

Can we imagine oem versions of the pedal end in Fender, Acus, Schertler acoustic amps?

Back in the day you would find Alexis fx module everywhere...
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

Last edited by Cuki79; 10-27-2020 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:42 PM

I’ve noticed that all three outputs (DI, fx send, line out) have the same specs. Are they also all at the end of the chain? Is the position of such outputs individually assignable? From the app, it appears it is not possible. But I fancy the possibly to split IR and pickup in 2 separate outputs as well as having pre and post EQ setup.
Old 10-27-2020, 04:24 PM

Please Ask if one could eventually load his own IR file With an app update.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 10-27-2020, 04:44 PM

Cool! That’s gonna be super fun.

1. To what degree does the anti-feedback help a more feedback prone pick up (IBeam or K&K)?

2. In what ways will the VPDI improve a mic pickup like the Lyric? Many users have wanted a stronger/deeper bass output from the Lyric—Will this help?

3. Do you think it would be redundant to use this and the Venue?
Line6 Pod Go ("Helix Lite")

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-1...c00vCM5OTc-dmA
Old 10-27-2020, 08:46 PM

Any chance of a future all-in-one multi-effect processor that contains the voiceprint technology as well as all the functionality in the Align series of pedals? I like what they all provide, but can’t have a pedal board big enough for all of these separate pedals.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:57 AM

How well does the Voiceprint work with other instruments?

I know this one is impacted by Covid but have many artists been demoing this live? Would just love to know what results people are getting as IR's can be tricky to make work.

The questions about the anti-feedback setting with the Ibeam, K&K etc. and the ability to make the Lyric sound a bit more full are good as well. Imagine how amazing it would be to quickly slap in a Lyric or Ibeam and have a great tone?
Old 10-28-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimAltendahl View Post
Any chance of a future all-in-one multi-effect processor that contains the voiceprint technology as well as all the functionality in the Align series of pedals?
THIS . . . . especially interested in the possibility of the Align "Session" pedal being incorporated into it. I imagine others would want the reverb, chorus, and delay pedals to be included, too.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:40 AM

Other IRs, like the Tonedexter and Aura, have struggle with mixed phase piezo elements, like seen in the LB6, and are sometimes incompatible with magnetic pickups like the M1. How does Baggs overcome the vagaries of multiple transducer materials and designs to create a "universal" IR (for lack of a better term)?
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 10-28-2020, 12:30 PM

Tonedexter (by their own admission) does not work well with the Anthem SL due to some "compression" circuit(?) within the pickup that doesn't play well with the IR generating process. Does the Voiceprint overcome this issue? Or, does it work "better" with the full Anthem?
2023 Cole Clark True Hybrid
Fender Acoustasonic Strat
Line6HX Stomp
BeatBuddy
Boss RC-500
EV Evolve 30M
Old 10-28-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonD View Post
Tonedexter (by their own admission) does not work well with the Anthem SL due to some "compression" circuit(?) within the pickup that doesn't play well with the IR generating process. Does the Voiceprint overcome this issue? Or, does it work "better" with the full Anthem?
All IR generator process need a linear response pickup. Linear means that If the vibration of the string increase by 2-fold, the signal that goes out of the pickup increases similarly.

It is not related to Tonedexter. My algorithm is the same as well as Jon’s.

Compression is a non linear FX. If the vibration of the strings increases 2-fold and reach the compressor threshold, the compressor will make sure the signal output is compressed and it’s amplitude “tamed”.

This will for sure compromise any IR generator process.

There is no way for Baggs Voiceprint DI to know when the Anthem SL compressor will kick in... because it will not reacts similarly depending on guitars, and pickup installation. A 00 shape guitar played by a soft fingerstyle player will not produce the same signal as an adi top dread bluegrass player. And both can tweak the volume pot to mislead any following pedal.

So there is no way the Baggs Voiceprint DI do better than Tonedexter in this matter.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 10-28-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
All IR generator process need a linear response pickup. Linear means that If the vibration of the string increase by 2-fold, the signal that goes out of the pickup increases similarly.

It is not related to Tonedexter. My algorithm is the same as well as Jon’s.

Compression is a non linear FX. If the vibration of the strings increases 2-fold and reach the compressor threshold, the compressor will make sure the signal output is compressed and it’s amplitude “tamed”.

This will for sure compromise any IR generator process.

There is no way for Baggs Voiceprint DI to know when the Anthem SL compressor will kick in... because it will not reacts similarly depending on guitars, and pickup installation. A 00 shape guitar played by a soft fingerstyle player will not produce the same signal as an adi top dread bluegrass player. And both can tweak the volume pot to mislead any following pedal.

So there is no way the Baggs Voiceprint DI do better than Tonedexter in this matter.
Exactly correct, but I wonder why someone would want to try to use an expensive IR solution with an expensive dual source (aside from Doug of course).

IRs are fantastic at making a UST great and a SBT even better.

Sort of the same ground a dual source with a mic covers.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 10-28-2020, 04:10 PM

I posted my question about the Anthem SL working with the Voiceprint as a response to a Facebook post from LR Baggs about the Voiceprint, and they responded that it would "absolutely work." It'd be interesting to hear Lloyd's response to this (and if IR's in general are not advised for dual source types of pickups).
2023 Cole Clark True Hybrid
Fender Acoustasonic Strat
Line6HX Stomp
BeatBuddy
Boss RC-500
EV Evolve 30M
Old 10-28-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
I posted my question about the Anthem SL working with the Voiceprint as a response to a Facebook post from LR Baggs about the Voiceprint, and they responded that it would "absolutely work." It'd be interesting to hear Lloyd's response to this (and if IR's in general are not advised for dual source types of pickups).
It might fall into a case where the math says it isn't a good approach, but in practice it sounds OK. It may also depend on how particular you are in the result.

The best results for shocking improvement with a custom IR is a UST.

Consistent improvement for a SBT.

And a gamble on anything else.

I find the phasing problem in some UST's with individual crystals interesting. Doug used a pickup with per string phasing with my IR generator, Cuki's, and ToneDexter, with good results. To my thinking, given you aren't hitting the various strings a synchronous manner, whether the crystals are split between two phases, or you introduce a phase difference with your strumming, neither can be too critical for IR calculation in this application.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 10-29-2020, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Well they all seem to indicate that it works with mag pickups since one previous post said there were pictures that lead to that conclusion.

One thing bugging me is that I thought anthem SL was just a full anthem with mic pot set to max... never heard about compression. I thought Lyric had the multiband compression.

Note that I started my IR journey with the lyric... that do include multiband compression...
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification