The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-13-2020, 02:41 PM

Default What I Did To MY D String/And Worked !! !

Hi again.
I plumb forgot to tell you what I did 2 days ago that blew me away !!

My D string was beginning to unravel in 2 places near the 2nd and 3rd frets..
I kept feeling it in my LH fingers; that annoying pricking from the broken winding..!
Then I got an idea...Ready ?
I dropped a teensy teensy bead of CA glue (superglue) on each nub after first smoothing out the winding as much as possible. I then put the guitar down for a half hour...
I picked her up again and felt the areas...Wah Lah !! It worked !!! The glue was dry and the prickly feeling over them was gone !!! There is a very slight rise you feel. But after a while I was able to forget about those areas altogether while I continued my 2 hr practice session....
(Yes, a bit did drop on the fingerboard but it wiped away easily..Next time I'll slide something under the strings first)...
What do you think ? M
Old 10-13-2020, 03:13 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Nice temporary fix, but probably not a terrible idea to replace strings that are in such bad shape. I usually keep an old dead set around as a stop gap in the (unlikely) event I'm all out of new strings when a set starts to give out on me.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:39 PM

This set of Sav Corums is not that old..This D thing happened prematurely compared to decades in and out of same type; this one installed more than others string types throughout.
The glue has made and will make many more days if not weeks tolerable if it doesn't pop first...Also, I can not afford new strings as regularly as you or others might...
The other 5 strings are feeling and sounding great on my loud, deep, C10 ! Maybe the A will be next. If so I won't be timid about doin' it this time. It worked !!
You could at least have said something a bit more rewarding than "Nice temp fix", huh; seeing as how you and many others might now start doing the same with what looks like an original plus for us, at least for those who too must wear strings longer than is ideal..
But your reply is welcomed just the same,
Thanks, M
Old 10-14-2020, 02:46 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Sorry, I didn't think I was being rude. I'd feel safer, personally, switching in an old dull string in this situation. For one, I'd expect the superglue to crumble after a few sessions/tuning into a sharp dust that could actually damage the fretboard and other strings if not cleaned up really carefully. So yeah, I do think it's a nice temporary fix, and that's some of my reasoning. And I do keep at least one old set of "dead" strings around for exactly this reason.
Old 10-14-2020, 04:42 PM

In my experience the Corum D string seldom lasts long, though it has a
sound quite a few people seem to like. It's down to taste, but the D'Add
J45 D string lasts a very long time with little change to its sound, for better or worse.

Last edited by Carey; 10-14-2020 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-15-2020, 03:32 PM

Carry, that's funny ! I nearly ordered H Tension D'Add J45s about 5 Min ago before reading your post..But I decided to wear the Corums down a week or two more..
Well, maybe I will order them later today !!

Last edited by MarkinLA; 10-15-2020 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:14 PM

Hi Mark,

Glad you've got new strings on the way. Just so you know, CA glue instantly melts nitro finish, so be careful. You also might take a close look at the third and fourth frets to see if they've got some corrosion going on that's wearing the string.

I used D'addario strings exclusively for years (still like all the other stuff they make) but ran into quality control issues with their strings and have switched to GHS for acoustics with no problems.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:20 PM

Well, I hadn't when you entered your post, but I just did anyway; HT EJ46 !! $11.01 total/free-ship, on their way.. Will look forward to D's winding lasting longer..
Maybe time for fret dressing, too..Been 6-8 yrs since new C10...

Thanks for all the replies
Old 10-16-2020, 05:41 PM

dosland
Sorry. I was a bit heavy on you..It is just a 'nice temp fix'; no more, no less... I'd though I'd discovered the fountain of youth for frayed strings...
Delusions of grandeur on my part ! M

Last edited by MarkinLA; 10-17-2020 at 07:37 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical