The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-25-2020, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Default Collings vs. Bourgeois

Generally speaking...as far as tone & playability goes, how do Collings & Bourgeois guitars compare?
Old 10-25-2020, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Very generally, I think the Collings Traditional guitars are similar to Bourgeois, but their standard models are designed to bring out the trebles more. They are not bass shy, but just a tighter more focused bass. They are both very good guitars along with the other small factories like H&D or SCGC.
Old 10-25-2020, 02:48 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Ask me tomorrow after I pick up my first Bourgeois at UPS in the morning (see sig). Then I’ll be able to compare a Collings Traditional (Adi/Honduran) to a Bourgeois Generation (baked Sitka/Honduran) both of which are a few years old and nicely broken in.

What’s already clear: Both these guys have produced superb guitars...

Last edited by Rev Roy; 10-25-2020 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-25-2020, 03:54 PM

I sold a Collings D2H because the neck profile was too chunky for me. My Bourgeois AT Mahogany D has a slimmer neck profile which suits me better. As far as tone is concerned those two guitars are an apples and oranges comparison since the Collings was Sitka/EIR and the Bourgeois is Adi/Khaya. Both of them are great guitars.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 10-25-2020, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

And I thought Hendrix was talented playing a Strat behind his head
Oh wait what t were we talkin' about
Oh ya ,,,Im not sure ya could go wrong with either one

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-25-2020, 04:14 PM

I have found both brands to be very playable.

To generalize: most Bourgeois have a slightly darker tone profile. And, while there are some important exceptions, Collings guitars seem to be louder and they are better at cutting through a mix.

Both are terrific.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
I have found both brands to be very playable.

To generalize: most Bourgeois have a slightly darker tone profile. And, while there are some important exceptions, Collings guitars seem to be louder and they are better at cutting through a mix.

Both are terrific.
I’ve owned quite a few models of both brands and still own 1 Bourgeois and 2 Collings — and generally agree with Rich’s summary above. I think both play well, but IMO, nothing beats the playability of Collings. The Bourgeois necks are slightly shallower and I find Collings necks to be perfect for my taste. I think both are wonderful representations of what skilled builders produce. Both provide excellent customer service to boot.
Old 10-25-2020, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
I sold a Collings D2H because the neck profile was too chunky for me. My Bourgeois AT Mahogany D has a slimmer neck profile which suits me better. As far as tone is concerned those two guitars are an apples and oranges comparison since the Collings was Sitka/EIR and the Bourgeois is Adi/Khaya. Both of them are great guitars.
I sold a Bourgeois because the neck profile was too shallow for me!

I've had one Bourgeois, a DS260 (1996?) and have owned five Collings (from '98 to '08) still have four.

The Bourgie, was possibly the most beautiful instrument I have owned tonally and aesthetically - but my Collings suit me better.

You don't see many Bourgeois guitars here in the UK, (not many Collings presently either!), but I would say that Bourgeois are a little closer to Martin than Collings in build and sound.

They are both great builders.

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 10-26-2020 at 03:59 AM.
Old 10-25-2020, 05:13 PM

They are both, of course, wonderful guitars. To my ear the Bourgeois is a much warmer sound.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 10-25-2020, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Both great guitars from great shops. Very different in my opinion but both fine builds. No right or wrong...just different. Having owned four Collings and two Bourgeois in the past I can't say that I'd be more incline to choose one over the other unless you have specific needs for neck profiles and the like?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-25-2020, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

My entire judgement is based on 2 Collings and 1 Bourgeois. The Bourgeois is warmer and more Martin-like to my ears than the Collings. I prefer the Bourgeois sound. Although I'm also comparing mahogany (Collings) to rosewood(Bourgeois) so this opinion is pretty much worthless!
Old 10-25-2020, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkpicker View Post
Generally speaking...as far as tone & playability goes, how do Collings & Bourgeois guitars compare?
I'm going to be in the minority here and I'm usually not the critical type.

Bourgeois makes a great guitar - close in sound to Martin with less tinny treble and more balance in bass and mid range. The necks feel different on Bourgeois too. Very well made, sounds nice - I own two.

I've tried dozens of Collings guitars over the last two years when buying the Bourgeois. In fact, I go with an open mind for the guitar not the name but based on what I've heard about Collings and just the number of Collings at the store I shop (Music Emporium in Lexington, MA) I thought for sure I'd end up a Collings owner.

But, I have yet to find a Collings I've liked. They might be better once you get them home but I found that they don't hold tune, they sound too bright, and I just don't like them. I'm sure I'll give them a try again, but I've twice shopped for Guitars with a bunch of Collings around and each time I play them, I like them less. A Collings hasn't even cracked the top two or three as I narrow down guitars. I know people love them, but I don't see the fuss yet.
Martin HD12-28 Custom 2019
Takamine Sante Fe 1990
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Telecaster

Last edited by Eryc74; 10-25-2020 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:29 PM

I played 3 Collings at Carter’s Vintage several months ago and while they sounded good, they just didn’t have the sound that drew me in. My favorite I played in the shop that day was a Bourgeois Banjo Killer. My AT Vintage Deluxe D Banjo Killer is pretty much perfection for me in an acoustic and what I’d recommend to anyone looking to buy.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 10-26-2020, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eryc74 View Post
I'm going to be in the minority here and I'm usually not the critical type.

Bourgeois makes a great guitar - close in sound to Martin with less tinny treble and more balance in bass and mid range. The necks feel different on Bourgeois too. Very well made, sounds nice - I own two.

I've tried dozens of Collings guitars over the last two years when buying the Bourgeois. In fact, I go with an open mind for the guitar not the name but based on what I've heard about Collings and just the number of Collings at the store I shop (Music Emporium in Lexington, MA) I thought for sure I'd end up a Collings owner.

But, I have yet to find a Collings I've liked. They might be better once you get them home but I found that they don't hold tune, they sound too bright, and I just don't like them. I'm sure I'll give them a try again, but I've twice shopped for Guitars with a bunch of Collings around and each time I play them, I like them less. A Collings hasn't even cracked the top two or three as I narrow down guitars. I know people love them, but I don't see the fuss yet.
Just to say - my Collings OM2hT holds tune exceptionally well, and it's even better now I have my Elliott capo that matches the radius - last live gig I did I tuned it once and, even though I checked many times during the set, I didn't have to tweak it, and I play everywhere from 1st position to capo'd up to the 7th fret...
Old 10-26-2020, 04:10 AM
Charter Member

It would seem that so far, most feel that Bourgeois sound more like Martins. I agree.
I understand Eryc74 as if one is "conditioned" into the bass biased sound of Martins then Collings will sound bright to you. This is a very common observation.

Two points.

1. Martin endeavoured to make their instruments equally balanced across the strings UNTIL the 14 fret dreadnought came out, then they went for the bass prominence.
Bill Collings decided to retain that ethos with his instruments - balance.
I couldn't agree to "tinny" but they may sound trebly to some who are Martin tone accustomed.

2. I am very old and used to play drums in increasingly loud rock bands in the '60s/'70s and went to some horrendously loud concerts. (I mostly blame The Electric Light Orchestra in 1970 - my ears hurt for three weeks after) I have permanent tinnitus and know that my hearing is imperfect. I doubt I'm the only deaf old duffer who finds that the Collings balance suits just fine!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion