The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-24-2020, 07:50 PM

The sound differences between the different versions are much more apparent when you are playing the guitar as opposed to listening from even a short distance. It's really kind of shocking how similar, for example, the hog and spruce versions sound from 12 feet away, as they are easily discernable when playing.

I own a spruce/walnut version, and a mahogany version. I suppose I prefer the sound of the hog a bit, but my spruce has the onboard tuner and pickup, which is very convenient. I normally tune by ear, but given that these are "travel" guitars and they get taken to places where it is noisy and difficult to tune by ear, the onboard tuner sure comes in handy.

The Koa version seems a little "tighter" in sound to me, and way over-priced. I guess people pay for the looks.

I think you will enjoy the mini. I play my spruce version far more than any other guitar I own. It's just so comfortable and can be played anywhere, yet even with the tiny size it still sounds pretty good!

You might also wand to check out the Yamaha CSF guitars too. I find them just as much fun as the mini.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I previously owned a mahogany GS Mini (I'm so glad you like it, Steve!) and loved it...
Yep, that little thing has been from N Carolina to Cali and a few points in between with me and been a joy to have along. Thanks Rudy!
Old 10-25-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist0905 View Post
...I'm looking for a couch guitar and my search has led me to the GS Minis...I was genuinely shocked by the amount of comfort and the CANNON OF SOUND that came out of it...

I love the sound of the Koa but I'm not a fan of the aesthetics...and yeah I know, the koa is supposed to be the most beautiful of them all...but to me and from the pictures I've seen of various ones available on Reverb, Sweetwater, etc., the looks of koa ruins it for me...

So what GS Minis do you all have? How do you like them?...
Arguably the most successful guitar Bob T. ever brought to market - I've played a bunch, and while each has its distinctive charm IME the koa versions are tonally the most consistent and best-sounding of the lot. Our band's former vocalist used a koa GS Mini strung with medium Martin Monel Retros as her main stage guitar: warm, smooth, and much "bigger" sounding than the small body would suggest, almost like a Taylor -14 but with a bit less acoustic headroom (can't get around the physics of the bigger body) - sounded like the big box when plugged in though, not edgy/scratchy/thin in the least; FWIW I'd hold out for one that suits your aesthetic requirements - I've seen koa tops ranging from ultra-plain (almost indistinguishable from mahogany visually) to intensely figured (like hers), and if you're patient the tonal benefits are well worth the wait...
Old 10-25-2020, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

I had a 2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Koa and for its size, it sounded decent but was too cramped for me to play comfortably. I also didn't like the effect my forearm had on its top when it rested upon it by imparting an almost wah-wah, volume pedal effect to the tone that was especially noticeable on an open D-chord. I'd consider a new Taylor GT if I was looking for another bite-size guitar.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-25-2020, 02:42 PM

I love my GS Mini Mahogany. It’s the guitar that sits out, and gets played the most lately. I added the JB (JJB?) pickup (the one that’s like a K&K) and I think it sounds as good as anything else plugged in. It’s a fun little guitar that I thought I would just use traveling, but I ended up playing it all the time. I have settled on medium D’Addario nickel bronzes on it, tuned down a half step. Great little blues guitar.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
La Michoacana Classical (my Dad's guitar)
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Ovation Celebrity 12 string
Fender CD 60 dread that lives in Greece
Harmonicas in a Farmer rack
Old 10-25-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I also didn't like the effect my forearm had on its top when it rested upon it by imparting an almost wah-wah, volume pedal effect to the tone that was especially noticeable on an open D-chord.
There’s a video on YouTube of a famous guitarist (which one escapes me at the moment) who demonstrates a whammy bar effect on his acoustic - I think they all do this. But perhaps the size and shape of the mini positions your arm to trigger this phenomenon.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadWithNames View Post
There’s a video on YouTube of a famous guitarist (which one escapes me at the moment) who demonstrates a whammy bar effect on his acoustic - I think they all do this. But perhaps the size and shape of the mini positions your arm to trigger this phenomenon.
Yes, all guitars do this but some, especially those with lively tops are very prone to this effect. All Taylors and my recently-acquired Takamine EF360S-TT are exceptional examples of this forearm effect on tone. I believe this is representative of a wonderful guitar but for some players, these guitars could benefit from the addition of an armrest to keep the forearm off the top or care in manually keeping the forearm off the top. Yes, of course, forearm dampening can be used for effect but for me, I'd rather not have to consciously manipulate my playing to counter the excessive effect of having my forearm contacting the top. Playing position, whether standing or sitting, can affect how the forearm contacts the top. Frankly, I wish every maker would offer a stick on armrest for the particular models in their offering.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 10-25-2020 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Bought my gs-mini about a year ago. After trying a few examples of all three tops (Koa, Spruce, Mahogany) I went with all hog. Love the tone. I took the pickguard off the first week, so no tan line. I replaced saddle with bone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 60FC46AE-61C6-4641-B598-0EEC8A54256F.jpg (39.6 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by gmel555; 10-25-2020 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:14 PM

I have both a spruce (just the standard) and Koa mini. I really like the compression on the Koa top - plus the back and top are really pretty ! I found there is a big enough difference with the spruce and Koa to justify having both. The mahogany and Koa were very similar.

The spruce IMO is the loudest of the 3. I’ve dropped a bone saddle in mine with Martin Retros and it sounds great. I’ve had both a K&K and Rare Earth Blend to my spruce mini and it’s my gigging guitar.

The ES-B sounds really good in the Koa but the combo of SBT, mag and mic is on another level.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 11-09-2020, 02:59 PM

My flamed Koa mini has opened up nicely. Perfect beach guitar!

2018 Taylor 812ce 12-fret DLX
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Koa
Old 11-10-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarsan View Post

My flamed Koa mini has opened up nicely. Perfect beach guitar!
Gorgeous...!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion