The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-23-2020, 09:40 PM

Default Does Mahogany Typically Sustain Less Than Rosewood?

I'm sure there are exceptions, but generally is it safe to say that a mahogany b/s or all hog will have less sustain than a rosewood b/s? How much does the fingerboard really contribute?
Old 10-23-2020, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
I'm sure there are exceptions, but generally is it safe to say that a mahogany b/s or all hog will have less sustain than a rosewood b/s? How much does the fingerboard really contribute?
In general, rosewood spruce sustains more than mahogany spruce and hog spruce more than all hog, all other things as equal as can be. Fingerboard material makes less difference to tone than bridge material.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:42 PM

I think your question cannot be answered because the back and sides are not part of a string’s world - in that they are not nut, neck, soundboard or bridge.

If resonance like a wolf note or perhaps the mass of the guitar overall affects the vibration of a string then certainly the back and sides could play a role but I reason the species of the back and sides is such a small contributor compared with the soundboard and bracing that any difference would be inaudible.

I can see density and weight of back and sides allowing more or less energy loss from a soundboard to a small degree but it would have to be a noticeable rigidity difference and weight difference overall .. which could give a slight nod to rosewood but again, so many other factors are more important that I doubt it would be audibly attributable to the species of back and sides.

A good question and I’d also like to read some opinions - ’specially if they contrast with mine.
Old 10-24-2020, 02:17 AM

If you tap on a piece of rosewood there will be sustain, while on mahogany there is close to none.

Also, as long as you feel vibrations on the back ans sides of the guitar while playing, those part contribute to the sound and sustain of a guitar. I cannot predict in what way.

In general I can say that the low E and A strings on my Gibsons (2 mahogany, 2 maple, 1 rosewood) have less sustain than on my Martins (3 mahogany, 1 rosewood). So, there must be more than just the wood.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 10-24-2020, 06:53 AM

The longest sustaining guitar I have ever owned is a 1945 Martin 00-18, red spruce over mahogany. It rings for far longer than any rosewood guitar I have ever owned.

IMO, the stiffness of the top, the bridge/bridgeplate mass, top bracing, the mass of the neck and headstock, and the overall weight of the guitar are all more important to sustain than the back and sides.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 10-24-2020, 09:37 AM
Get off my lawn kid

My Avalon (spruce over rosewood) has more sustain than my all hog Guild and other spruce over mahogany guitars I have.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-24-2020, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Yes ,,,, there are exceptions of course but in general in my experience. However depending on the specific situation that can be a good thing

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-24-2020, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

...I have found zero relationship between mahogany and length of sustain....I have all kinds of wood combinations on guitars and they are all over the place with regards to how long they ring out...it’s definitely the build and not the wood species that affects sustain in my experience

....there is a natural compression that I associate with Rosewood that may give the impression of longer sustain...but most of my guitars that keep on ringing are actually Mahogany and Spruce...

Last edited by J Patrick; 10-24-2020 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-24-2020, 01:57 PM

I have a Collings D1 that sustains for days. I think the builder has a lot more to do with it.
Old 10-24-2020, 02:53 PM

Very interesting, thanks everyone!
Old 10-24-2020, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Charlie View Post
The longest sustaining guitar I have ever owned is a 1945 Martin 00-18, red spruce over mahogany. It rings for far longer than any rosewood guitar I have ever owned.

IMO, the stiffness of the top, the bridge/bridgeplate mass, top bracing, the mass of the neck and headstock, and the overall weight of the guitar are all more important to sustain than the back and sides.
+1... I agree with Charlie's points here, especially neck mass. I have a Martin D-18 with MLO/PA neck and it does not sustain as long as my MIJ Pro/Sig Taks that have a beefy asymmetrical necks. Both the Martin and Taks also have dovetail joints, although the Taks have a beefier and more reinforced joint.
Old 10-24-2020, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Lots of things affect sustain, which is why you have to control as many variables as possible to compare mahogany vs rosewood. So if you boil it down to two otherwise identical (as they can be) Martin’s or collings or whatever, the difference is perceivable. An HD-28 sounds different from a D-18. The suggestions that back and sides wood do not affect tone and sustain are ignorant and fly in the face of everything builders and players know and perceive every day.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

Just my opinion, but while generalizations about body species and tone can certainly be made, I believe the top, bracing and body size/shape, saddle, e.g., likely -in general- impact sustain more than body species. I am interested to hear what some of the AGF luthiers think on this topic and I'll gracefully stand corrected if they think otherwise.

Last edited by gmel555; 10-24-2020 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
Lots of things affect sustain, which is why you have to control as many variables as possible to compare mahogany vs rosewood. So if you boil it down to two otherwise identical (as they can be) Martin’s or collings or whatever, the difference is perceivable. An HD-28 sounds different from a D-18. The suggestions that back and sides wood do not affect tone and sustain are ignorant and fly in the face of everything builders and players know and perceive every day.
Are you thinking someone in this thread suggested that back and sides don’t affect tone?

Last edited by Russ C; 10-25-2020 at 12:41 AM.
Old 10-25-2020, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Like others have said, it depends on the builder. However, I would say that most agree that Rosewood guitars tend to have more overtones and be more lush than Mahogany. So does more overtones mean more sustain? I would say, for the most part yes, and that is why we are having this discussion.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion