The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-25-2020, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

I tried the Mid Tension on my Martin D21 Custom Adi/Madi and hated them. Too metallic sounding for my tastes. I tried the Lights on my OM/PW and 000 12 Fret Short Scale and loved them on both. I may try the mids on my 000 next. I think they excel for Fingerstyle. So far after about 2 months of regular playing they still sound great.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 10-25-2020, 08:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

I'm a big fan of both the low and mid tension Santa Cruz strings - especially the mid tension. Long lasting, comfortable and sound really good.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I tried the Low Tension on a different guitar and liked them pretty well, enough to give the Medium Tension a shot on my short scale guitar. They are going on their 6th week and sound so good! However, they either play tricks with my ears, are finally settling in, or my guitar sounds better in the morning- maybe all true.

When I first put them on I was taken aback at how bright they were, especially strings 1-3. This surprised me because they have a heavier gauge treble and that usually tames the top end a bit on this guitar. They seem much more mellow now, still a good crisp sound but minus the brightness. Overall I'm very impressed with these though. They seem to "EQ" my guitar and bring much more harmonic content than any other PB strings I've tried. I don't know how else to describe it.... maybe I'm a just a lil' crazy. Because of the expense I wish I could say I don't care for them but they may need to become my go to string for this guitar. They are obviously quality strings!

BTW I play fingerstyle with flesh and a little nail, so the added brightness isn't a problem for me but rather a built in benefit. Great strings!
I play fingerstyle with a touch of nail myself. Great strings. Not for every guitar of course.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion