The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 10-09-2020, 12:05 PM

Default Largo

In a thread asking for album suggestions, user jseth suggested the album Largo. His description was intriguing, so I streamed it. All I can say is wow! I can’t believe this hidden gem didn’t get a lot more well known. It is truly a great album.
Right now “White Man’s Melody,” sung by Cyndi Lauper, is my favorite track. There are so many good songs though, so that could change. It’s a true album meant to hang together so it’s worth listening to in one sitting.
Old 10-10-2020, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

FINALLY!!!

Someone actually checked this recording out... good to know that my pearls weren't all cast before SWINE!

A buddy turned me on to this disc, ~2004 or so. I liked it immediately, but kept listening over the next years, and every time I hear it now, I am STUNNED by what a marvelous record it is! It succeeds as a "concept" record as well as anything I've heard done (and I'm older and have heard a LOT of 'em).

The core band REALLY does a great job, and the supporting players and singers just blend seamlessly... everything works within the context of the album, Dvorak's Largo Theme from "Symphony For The New World"...

You can't even find this listed in the Hooter's discography, not a mention on their website! Criminal, even though I know it was just mostly the two principals and the producer involved...

And, of course, the absolute killer kicker is to hear an unknown (certainly to me!) singer named Little Izdor absolutely KILLING that final song, "Before The Mountains"!!!

Take the time to dig in to all of it... glad you appreciate it!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 10-10-2020, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

I just checked out the album. Really nice find and only $6.99 makes it easy to pull the trigger.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN