The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-23-2020, 06:18 PM

Well, I did it! Than you everyone for the help. I found an excellent used 2017 AP66ESHB at Ithaca Guitar Works. I wasn’t looking for electronics, but this guitar was a good deal. The gentleman at the shop (Ashley, I think) could not have been nicer on the phone. I’m really glad that I was able to buy this from a non-big box store. It should be here in a few days! YAY!!!
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom
Old 10-25-2020, 11:00 AM

I needed a small guitar to leave at my coffee bar. I kept my '26 Martin 2-17 there during the first months of the Covid lockdown, but when people started coming back I was afraid of damaging it. I wanted something that wouldn't break my heart of it got dinged or even stolen.

I went to a local Sam Ash to play a few. I was thinking Little Martin, Backpacker, Taylor GS, etc. I played a bunch but nothing jumped out. They all had their good points and bad. Most sounded pinched.

Then I picked up a Yamaha CSF1M and was surprised how open it sounded. I did a quick search on my phone and learned there was also a CSF3M made of all solid woods, including bindings and had scalloped bracing. I found one on Reverb for $399 at a local music shop and had to pinch myself. I quickly paid for it and picked it up the next day.

It had an intonation issue and I noticed the saddle was loose, partly due to the pickup, partly due to the saddle being too small for the slot. It was leaning forward and disrupting the intonation.

Since I don't need the passive pickup, I pulled it out and made a new, thicker bone saddle. I ordered a new set of Grover Mini Rotomatic tuners and made a new bone nut. What a difference! It made a good sounding guitar into a great sounding guitar. With the thicker saddle I was able to adjust the intonation to where it is maybe 1 cent off now and not worth major surgery to rectify.

All in all, I'm a happy camper. The only problem now it that I might be sad if it gets dinged or stolen.

Last edited by almico; 10-25-2020 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Well, I did it! Than you everyone for the help. I found an excellent used 2017 AP66ESHB at Ithaca Guitar Works. I wasn’t looking for electronics, but this guitar was a good deal. The gentleman at the shop (Ashley, I think) could not have been nicer on the phone. I’m really glad that I was able to buy this from a non-big box store. It should be here in a few days! YAY!!!
Good on you! Pix when u receive it!
Old 10-26-2020, 02:47 AM

Quote:

Glad it’s worked out well for you, enjoy it when it arrives!
Old 10-26-2020, 05:31 AM

Well, this slightly older thread of mine was resurrected . I’m not a forum member (yet, will rectify this soon!), so I can’t directly post photos, so here’s a link to my Google photos.

New little Alvarez and my Eastman E6 OM. I’m loving both of these guitars. Pretty soon I’ll be at my 90 day guitar anniversary...lol.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VkJ9uMpCnGzRT5sNA

Have a wonderful week everyone!
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom
Old 10-28-2020, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

She's a beaut for sure! Lovely sunburst...
Congrats and enjoy!
Old 10-28-2020, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Well, this slightly older thread of mine was resurrected . I’m not a forum member (yet, will rectify this soon!), so I can’t directly post photos, so here’s a link to my Google photos.

New little Alvarez and my Eastman E6 OM. I’m loving both of these guitars. Pretty soon I’ll be at my 90 day guitar anniversary...lol.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VkJ9uMpCnGzRT5sNA

Have a wonderful week everyone!

Beautiful guitars! And congratulations on 90 days!
Old 07-08-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
So, you might remember me as the confused beginner . I bought an Eastman E6OM, which I love dearly and have been playing daily for about 6 weeks now.

I also snagged a Seagull S6 Original and really didn’t like anything about it, so flipped it pretty much right away. Some folks here mentioned something about not acquiring too many cheap guitars, but I find myself really wanting to go the other way, size-wise. I’d like an inexpensive parlor that I can practice chords on the couch or throw in my car and take with me without thinking too much about it.

Soooo....my requirements are: 12 fret, short scale, slotted headset, not spruce top (would like to try something different), and under $400 bucks.

I think I’ve narrowed it down to an Alvarez AP66, but anyone have any other suggestions that I should be considering?

I’ve looked at the Yamaha CSF1, Breedlove Companion, there’s lots of Washburns, Eastman ATG1 (miniature of what I already have)....

Thank you as always. Did I mention how much fun I’m having
Kudos to ya for appreciating the under-$1K guitars, because you can buy a shockingly fine ax for $400+ these days - which really wasn't all that possible a few decades ago. Your spec list is pretty limiting though - no spruce top, slotted head - so I won't recommend either my Yamaha CSF1m (fine 00 size ax!) or my beloved & humble little Recording King 0 size, which has a round tone that calls to mind a cross between steel and nylon strings. I scored it for about $120 slightly used off eBay. It's a bit more than slightly used now, having been my camping and go-to-the-river guitar for 5 years or so.
Martin D-16GT
Martin 000M
Martin Backpacker
Breedlove Concert Copper E
Breedlove Solo Pro 12 String
Lucero classical A/E
Gretsch G9220 Resonator
Epi Dobro Hounddog
Recording King Parlor
Gold Tone F12 12-String Mando
The Loar LM700VS Mando
'61 Fender Strat
Fender 60's RW Jazz bass
90's Fender MIJ mystery passive P/J
Old 07-08-2021, 01:16 PM
AGF Sponsor

Good to hear, Carol. Congrats. Give us a report back when you play her a bit.

scott memmer
Old 07-08-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Good to hear, Carol. Congrats. Give us a report back when you play her a bit.

scott memmer
Eight months of playing time...
Old 07-08-2021, 02:51 PM

Quote:
So glad you are happy with your Alvarez; you made a teriffic choice. I just bought a new AP66 SHB (no electronics) Once I did a set up and changed the strings to ones I like, I am really taken with it. The 4" deep body really gives it amazing resonance for a small body guitar.
Blueridge BR-142
Recording King R0-T16
Alvarez AP66SHB

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion