The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-25-2020, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
This has been a weird year for me. First, let me say that I'm not exactly a HUGE football/sports fan. I'm more of an acoustic guitar/music lover kind of guy. That said, as a New Englander I've watched or at least kept track of the Pats from way back. I marveled at the rise of Brady from that first season when he took over from the injured Drew Bledsoe and just never looked back. Even then I pretty much only watched playoff and Super Bowl games.

Then the 'big split' happened. Not being a rabid fan I wasn't too torn up but rather I was fascinated to see how it turned out. It was a chance to see just who or at least what percentage made up the winning formula more? Would it be the superstar quarterback or the Jedi master head coach? Or both? Or neither. I'll admit that even before things started unfolding the way they have I found myself much more interested in watching/following Brady than the Pats.

And so far, at least, it seems that a superstar QB that knows how to win carries more weight than a superstar head coach that knows how to coach winners. Time will tell just how far each will go. It's also been nice to see Gronk back on the field with Brady and I've said more than a couple times that if Edelman were to go to TB I'd likely have to sell all my Pats gear and buy some TB shirts, hats and hoodies!!!
You can be a huge sports fan AND a music/acoustic kind of guy. They're not mutually exclusive. I'm both (with quite a few other hobbies too).

Yeah, the Pats might not be that good this year, but have faith. They'll most likely bounce back pretty soon with Bill.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 10-26-2020, 03:40 AM

Maybe Cam wasn't such a great find after all, and maybe Carolina knew exactly what it was doing when the team released him.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
Maybe Cam wasn't such a great find after all, and maybe Carolina knew exactly what it was doing when the team released him.
In other news, the Cowboys...
Old 10-26-2020, 06:40 AM

Quote:
What a mess...
In all honesty, as bad as the Browns have been for literally years, the Cowboys are worse because the media still tries to hype them up while the fans know better. It’s pretty typical and fun to watch because the sports “talking heads” are under the illusion the fans are either stupid or blind...just like always.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-26-2020, 06:51 AM

Quote:
This has been a weird year for me. First, let me say that I'm not exactly a HUGE football/sports fan. I'm more of an acoustic guitar/music lover kind of guy. That said, as a New Englander I've watched or at least kept track of the Pats from way back. I marveled at the rise of Brady from that first season when he took over from the injured Drew Bledsoe and just never looked back. Even then I pretty much only watched playoff and Super Bowl games.

Then the 'big split' happened. Not being a rabid fan I wasn't too torn up but rather I was fascinated to see how it turned out. It was a chance to see just who or at least what percentage made up the winning formula more? Would it be the superstar quarterback or the Jedi master head coach? Or both? Or neither. I'll admit that even before things started unfolding the way they have I found myself much more interested in watching/following Brady than the Pats.

And so far, at least, it seems that a superstar QB that knows how to win carries more weight than a superstar head coach that knows how to coach winners. Time will tell just how far each will go. It's also been nice to see Gronk back on the field with Brady and I've said more than a couple times that if Edelman were to go to TB I'd likely have to sell all my Pats gear and buy some TB shirts, hats and hoodies!!!
That was an exciting time when Brady took over. When Bledsoe got hurt it was like 'oh no' but Belichick made one of the most difficult coaching decisions one can make - bench your star QB when he returns from injury and keep playing an unknown, 199th draft pick rookie.

Quote:
Yea. Wow, terrible team. Even so, they can still win the division. 7 wins will be more than enough for that division, maybe 6.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:57 AM

Steelers are 6-0. They almost blew it against the Titans but saved their bacon in the end.

As for Brown in Tampa, they can have him. The Aderall will wear off eventually. I'm done with hype. Just having sports to watch on TV is gravy as far as I'm concerned. Even better that I don't have to watch Mike Tomlin grind his teeth over Bell or Brown, even if all the "Killer B's" have each had second helpings of humble pie.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
As one who always thought Belichek was a better coach than Brady was a QB, if the first part of this season means anything in that big picture, I was wrong. Brady seems to be whipping his team into shape and BB appears to be in the throes of a rebuilding year. If so, it doesn't say anything negative about BB, but if he thought he had the horses to win again this year, and this is how it's turning out, it's not turning out well.

I recently finished reading the recent book about the Pats organization (The Dynasty?) and it really reminded me and reinforced why I liked them so much for the first couple years of their run and grew to dislike them so much as they kept it going. A great team/organization, no question, but one you couldn't help pulling for early and couldn't help really disliking (except obviously for local fans) later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
What a mess...
In all honesty, as bad as the Browns have been for literally years, the Cowboys are worse because the media still tries to hype them up while the fans know better. It’s pretty typical and fun to watch because the sports “talking heads” are under the illusion the fans are either stupid or blind...just like always.
I'be basically hated the Cowboys and the whole "America's team" thing for so long that I never tire of them sucking. I mean I'm human - I was as horrified as anyone at Dak's injury and I wish him nothing but the best. But anything going wrong for Jerry Jones is just fine with me.

-Ray
Old 10-26-2020, 07:33 AM

This is a complete non sequitur, but I'd just like to say that during football season, the Monday version of Mike Greenberg's "Get Up" on ESPN is the best two hours of television every week.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Steelers are 6-0. They almost blew it against the Titans but saved their bacon in the end.

As for Brown in Tampa, they can have him. The Aderall will wear off eventually. I'm done with hype. Just having sports to watch on TV is gravy as far as I'm concerned. Even better that I don't have to watch Mike Tomlin grind his teeth over Bell or Brown, even if all the "Killer B's" have each had second helpings of humble pie.
The Steelers did the correct thing with Bell and Brown. Gotta get rid of those locker room distractions. Brown has another chance in the NFL, after the Raiders and Patriots debacle. I hope he does well with Brady but my gut tells me at some point in time he's going to be a distraction.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
The Steelers did the correct thing with Bell and Brown. Gotta get rid of those locker room distractions. Brown has another chance in the NFL, after the Raiders and Patriots debacle. I hope he does well with Brady but my gut tells me at some point in time he's going to be a distraction.
Yup. I hope those two have learned humility but I seriously doubt it. Too many people are willing to enable them if there's potential to make money by throwing good money after bad.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Yup. I hope those two have learned humility but I seriously doubt it. Too many people are willing to enable them if there's potential to make money by throwing good money after bad.
That is one thing I like about Belichick - he did give a few people a chance to join the team but one strike and you were gone. Brown lasted one game before he had those stupid tweets.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:50 AM

How about that finish in the Lions-Falcons game?!?
Old 10-26-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:

Something happened because he did start quite well.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarsaune View Post
How about that finish in the Lions-Falcons game?!?
There were a few fantastic endings this week and the Lions pulled one out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Something happened because he did start quite well.
Yea, not sure if Cam's issues are related to his illness but he's been off the past two games. Overall, he has 2 TDs and 7 INTs in 5 games.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic