The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-11-2021, 01:53 PM

Default Sinker redwood top

A friend has given me a "sinker" redwood top. He included Claro walnut for the back and Bubinga for the sides.
I have another friend that will teach me how to build a guitar. He's a professional guitar maker. For a fee, I can build a guitar in his shop using his tools under his instruction and supervision.

I know I'll be using the top but I'm not sure the other woods are appropriate. I'll be taking the set to my friend for his evaluation but would like advice about this combination of woods and what might be better choices for the back and sides.
Old 09-11-2021, 03:12 PM

I've played one sinker redwood guitar and it had claro walnut back and sides and it was wonderful. In the right hands that combination can be stellar.

Old 09-11-2021, 05:12 PM

Claro walnut and Bubinga are both respected tone woods. If you are worried about them not looking nice together, it will be easier to replace the sides with more walnut, it bends well and you can resaw your own walnut sides easier than a bubinga back. Alternately, you could try stainIng them the same colour.

You could use the bubinga sides to build a uke or flat back mandolin as practice before building a guitar.
Old 09-11-2021, 05:15 PM

The guitar below combines a redwood top with claro walnut back and sides and I was very happy with how it came out. I like the combination and would use it again.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-11-2021, 06:17 PM

There is nothing wrong with mixing and matching back/side sets. I had done that on some of my very early guitars. Use what ya got right?

Sinker is really cool stuff. I have only built with it once and it was a tenor guitar of sinker Mahogany. I have no idea what it does for tone but it's really beautiful.

So I say go for it with what you have. Sounds like you are in good hands.
Old 09-12-2021, 10:15 PM

Not every builder gets the same sound out of a wood combination and some builders like tonewoods that others might not like to use. That said, Redwood and Walnut is an extremely popular wood combination. On my guitars, I like to pair Redwood with Walnut or a Mahogany-esque wood. I find it to yield a very pleasing and versatile sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair