The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-09-2023, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
Get a Martin. Even if you get a great Eastman that you really like, you’ll still wish you had a Martin.
Just buy the guitar you like.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-09-2023, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67goat View Post
The most common wood for acoustic guitar necks by just about any builder is mahogany, which is a hardwood.

A lot of very high priced electric guitars have maple necks. Another hardwood.

Why do you think hardwoods are a bad choice for necks?
Thanks for clarifying. I stand corrected.

English is not my first language and to me it sounded like low quality/alternative/no name wood.
If it is just a common and generic name for actual hard wood, it is fine for me.
Thanks.
Old 11-09-2023, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimmo View Post
Thanks for clarifying. I stand corrected.

English is not my first language and to me it sounded like low quality/alternative/no name wood.
If it is just a common and generic name for actual hard wood, it is fine for me.
Thanks.
I believe the two woods used at Martin now for standard line necks are mahogany and Spanish cedar, they're sonically similar.

According to Wikipedia, Spanish cedar is the traditional neck wood for flamenco and classical guitars. I don't know or care which was used in my 2019 OM-28.
Old 11-09-2023, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie-f View Post
I believe the two woods used at Martin now for standard line necks are mahogany and Spanish cedar, they're sonically similar.

According to Wikipedia, Spanish cedar is the traditional neck wood for flamenco and classical guitars. I don't know or care which was used in my 2019 OM-28.
Very interesting. Thanks!
Old 11-09-2023, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares View Post
Hardwoods are not a bad choice for necks. But mentioning hadrwood as the neck wood in your spec sheet is a way to avoid committing on the wood you ll use. Nevertheless i don't really care as i dont think Martin would ever use something other than the family of mahogany (including african , sipo ect) for their necks inbtheir standard line.
They basically use the term for limited run (or non-regularly run) guitars. They don't generally use the term for guitars that are in constant production.

Like you, I don't worry that they are using an inferior wood. They are just using what they have available when they decide to do a run of those low output runs.
Old 11-09-2023, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new strings View Post
I was in a well stocked store last week with the hopeful intention of finding an exceptional D-18. Thought I had found the one until I played an Eastman OM size they had hanging on the wall. It was almost as loud as the Martins I tried and sounded quite a bit nicer. I left the store confused and no new D-18.
I went into a store in 2018, looking for something to replace my bought-new 1969 D-35 that was getting too bulky and in need of a reset from too many setups. When I got to an Eastman E20-OM that was hanging on the wall, I had to have it.
Back home, the new Eastman had the same wonderful sound as the D-35 whose lost break angle had turned it into an OM.
Old 11-09-2023, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvc View Post
Hello,

Considering buying an acoustic guitar priced within 1,800-2,200 CAD. Looking for good quality, tone, and value for price.

Which of the 2 brands, Martin or Eastman, would be recommended? Any models in particular worth looking into?

Thanks!
Eastman makes wonderful guitars and for those that do not know - Bourgeois have their touchtone series made by Eastman. That says a lot.

One option (if you do go the Martin route), maybe a little higher than your budget, is the 000-16 streetmaster. They are built with Adi VTS tops and Rosewood B & S. These are made in Nazareth and have a lifetime warranty. The finish ... well that is personal preference. But like one forum member said "you dont see the guitar when you play it"
Old 11-09-2023, 03:57 PM

I have briefly owned an Eastman dred and played several others while shopping. I have never owned but have occasionally played Martin dreds.

I did not find they resembled each other sound-wise very much at all. I'd think 'most anyone who played both would have a preference for one or the other just based on the tone.

They'll both be well made and appearance wise are fairly similar.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 11-09-2023, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage40s View Post
I went into a store in 2018, looking for something to replace my bought-new 1969 D-35 that was getting too bulky and in need of a reset from too many setups. When I got to an Eastman E20-OM that was hanging on the wall, I had to have it.
Back home, the new Eastman had the same wonderful sound as the D-35 whose lost break angle had turned it into an OM.
So you bought an Eastman rather than fixing a D 35? To each his own I guess.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 11-10-2023, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Sorry, but this shouldn't be a hard decision.

For years when I had little money for such things I always said my guitar is as good as any Martin. Then when I had more money I learned quickly I was a fool.

I also like the Larrivee suggestion. Best built guitars I ever had.
Old 11-10-2023, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
Sorry, but this shouldn't be a hard decision.

For years when I had little money for such things I always said my guitar is as good as any Martin. Then when I had more money I learned quickly I was a fool.

I also like the Larrivee suggestion. Best built guitars I ever had.
Sorry as well, but you're taking the wrong lesson from this thread. Judging by the typical variety in the answers and the numerous purposes for which the guitar could be used, it's all clearly subjective. I'm in support of just playing a bunch of guitars if the OP is able to and picking what they like.
Old 11-10-2023, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
So you bought an Eastman rather than fixing a D 35? To each his own I guess.
Yes. The Brazilian D-35 that I had owned since new was feeling bulky, and after the latest set up, the strings were so close to the top that my cross picking that I was learning was pecking at the finish. I also noticed it had lost its old boominess. I gave it to a Martin luthier to reset the neck, but covid came along, Martin shut down, and he could not get the parts he wanted. After 3 months of waiting, at age 78 with cancer, I decided I did not want to put almost $1,000 into a valuable guitar that my wife might not know how to get rid of. So I took it back and sold it for $3,500 on Reverb as is. To someone who appreciated it and would know what to do. As I said, the Eastman E20-OM was the perfect replacement and I enjoy it every day. Each to his own.

Last edited by vintage40s; 11-10-2023 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-10-2023, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Which ever brand you choose I recommend that you buy one with a Red Spruce top and I've come to prefer Mahogany for the back and sides. I got an Eastman 2011 E10SS with that combo and it is a killer flat picker if that's what you're looking for.
Old 11-10-2023, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

What strikes me is that the OP is looking for a Martin or an EASTMAN, and not a Taylor or a Gibson or anything else, and that says a mouthful about these Eastman guitars.

Can't say I disagree.
Old 11-10-2023, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfm612 View Post
Sorry as well, but you're taking the wrong lesson from this thread. Judging by the typical variety in the answers and the numerous purposes for which the guitar could be used, it's all clearly subjective. I'm in support of just playing a bunch of guitars if the OP is able to and picking what they like.
I'm not taking the wrong lesson here. I'm speaking from experience. The op ask and I answered from my experiences.

Why would anyone buy a copy of the most iconic guitars ever built? I know a lot of people do, but if given the choice my money is on most would not.

Not directed at you. I'm tired of hearing about binding separation from people who have never and will never buy a Martin. Give it a rest already and let us Martin players worry about it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic guitar, choosing a guitar, eastman, martin