The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-13-2021, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Default PSA. Production Expert Blog looks at 6 Convolution Reverbs

If I did not have a great outboard Reverb I would seriously consider one of these plugins.
No doubt there are others equal to the task, but these are some of their favorites

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...eid=3af5b4ba3b

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 03-13-2021 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
If I did not have a great outboard Reverb I would seriously consider one of these plugins.
No doubt there are others equal to the task, but these are some of their favorites

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...eid=3af5b4ba3b
I know you have the Bricasti. I own Seventh Heaven, sampled on the Bricasti and in my opinion it's the best sounding all-around reverb ever made.

The only other reverb I've used (I believe I've tried just about all of them) that sounds wonderful to me is Ebony by Acoustica Audio. It's a plate based on the EMT 140.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
I know you have the Bricasti. I own Seventh Heaven, sampled on the Bricasti and in my opinion it's the best sounding all-around reverb ever made.

The only other reverb I've used (I believe I've tried just about all of them) that sounds wonderful to me is Ebony by Acoustica Audio. It's a plate based on the EMT 140.
The two user adjusted Bricasti presets I use the most, are Sunset Chamber and London Plate (which I think is modeled on a 140)

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 03-13-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
The two user adjusted Bricasti presets I use the most, are Sunset Chamber and London Plate (which I think is modeled on a 140)
My favorite is the Sunset Chamber too. I'm not as crazy about the plates but they're certainly better than most that I've heard.
Old 03-13-2021, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

I've been using Altiverb for 15 years +-. The interface is great, the features are more than adequate and the proprietary IR library is impressive. There is a Briscatti IR library available for it with over 100 additional IRs.
Old 03-13-2021, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Of all the Reverbs on that list, I own the Altiverb and Seventh Heaven. I've owned both for years and both are outstanding reverbs.

Another I'd put in the "outstanding" category is the UA Capital Chambers plugin. One can only use it if they own UA hardware equipped with DSP chips but for those that do, give that reverb a demo run. It's special.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 03-13-2021, 08:18 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
I know you have the Bricasti. I own Seventh Heaven, sampled on the Bricasti and in my opinion it's the best sounding all-around reverb ever made...
I've read a lot of great things on the Seventh Heaven, so this thread inspired me to buy it. Been playing around with it this afternoon and I really like it. My main verb has been the Fabfilter, but boy, just the presets on this thing are very impressive right out of the gate
Old 03-14-2021, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
I've read a lot of great things on the Seventh Heaven, so this thread inspired me to buy it. Been playing around with it this afternoon and I really like it. My main verb has been the Fabfilter, but boy, just the presets on this thing are very impressive right out of the gate
Don't know about solo acoustic guitar (I almost exclusively do at least guitar/vocal). And maybe you already know about this , I usually make user adjustment to the presets with 40-60 ms of pre delay, to get a bit more transient and "air" into the mix before the reverb kicks in.
And I almost always use reverb in parallel

One of things I like about Bricasti's algorithms is they can go from almost non perceptible effect (noticed more for it's absence than presence ) to fairly present but still not overdone IMO

Here is an original of mine, with an intentional fairly heavy Sunset Chamber (if I remember correctly) on it, and then some additional second FX plugin of Tape Echo Delay on some words

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 03-14-2021 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-14-2021, 12:22 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Don't know about solo acoustic guitar (I almost exclusively do at least guitar/vocal). And maybe you already know about this , I usually make user adjustment to the presets with 40-60 ms of pre delay, to get a bit more transient and "air" into the mix before the reverb kicks in.
And I almost always use reverb in parallel...
Very cool. Yeah, predelay is for sure my favorite thing to tweak on reverbs. Sometimes with the Pro R I'll just use it's auto 32nd note setting, but most of the time I just wing it. I saw Marc Daniel Nelson's latest video was on his thoughts about predelay and vocals https://youtu.be/JDndYFhuqI8
Old 03-14-2021, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
Very cool. Yeah, predelay is for sure my favorite thing to tweak on reverbs. Sometimes with the Pro R I'll just use it's auto 32nd note setting, but most of the time I just wing it. I saw Marc Daniel Nelson's latest video was on his thoughts about predelay and vocals https://youtu.be/JDndYFhuqI8
Thats a very Interesting video. I started using pre delay after cutting some demos in Nashville where the engineer used mostly 40 to 60 ms
And that is what I have been doing since. BUT I kinda liked the 120 also and could see that for specific songs. Seemed to me 250 and above was getting into what a straight Delay plug in would bring to the table so I did not particularly care for that although I could see automating that for specific instances But at that point I would probably opt for just adding a delay and automating it to kick in for only specific instances (like I did on the SoundCloud track I posted)

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 03-14-2021, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

One of things I like about Bricasti's algorithms is they can go from almost non perceptible effect (noticed more for it's absence than presence ) to fairly present but still not overdone IMO
I read a comment somewhere that the Bricasti was for people who want to be able to put on a lot of reverb and have it sound like there is no reverb at all :-) Very transparent most of the time.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

I've just kind of fumbled my way into my own way of doing this, but I do more "back porch" kind of mixes, anyway....

I always use a bit of predelay on the aux track or tracks where I put the reverb. I don't use any 3rd party plugins because the Logic Pro "Space Designer" is an IR/convolution kind of reverb with dozens of natural spaces, and with the typically very small mixes I do, it's more than enough. Plus, I like the reverb to be just for the space, and not an effect, per se. I.e., I'm more in the "you only notice it when it's turned off" club when it comes to reverb.

If it's a single guitar+vocal mix, I generally only have one reverb track and have a tiny amount of predelay, something less than 25ms probably. If I need to push something back, I might put the same "space" on another track with a shorter pre-delay, e.g, to send the guitar there.

In a larger group I'll always set up a 2nd reverb aux with a different (shorter!) predelay and that's where I'd send most instruments to varying degrees. Unless I'm trying to create an obvious wet reverb sound on a vocal, I still keep the same space. If I want a more obvious reverb-y vocal, I'll probably put a plate verb on that aux instead of the space one, though might send a bit of the vocal track to the space, too.

I don't use really long predelays, because if I want that kind of effect, I'd probably tinker with a delay plugin.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I read a comment somewhere that the Bricasti was for people who want to be able to put on a lot of reverb and have it sound like there is no reverb at all :-) Very transparent most of the time.
I don't know about "no reverb at all" But I do find that even with a fairly substantial amount of verb (I think more so than many other plugin verbs) The sound feels more natural or less FX contrived
If I recall correctly you also have an M7 ? what's your take on it ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 03-15-2021 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
I've just kind of fumbled my way into my own way of doing this, but I do more "back porch" kind of mixes, anyway....

I always use a bit of predelay on the aux track or tracks where I put the reverb. I don't use any 3rd party plugins because the Logic Pro "Space Designer" is an IR/convolution kind of reverb with dozens of natural spaces, and with the typically very small mixes I do, it's more than enough. Plus, I like the reverb to be just for the space, and not an effect, per se. I.e., I'm more in the "you only notice it when it's turned off" club when it comes to reverb.

If it's a single guitar+vocal mix, I generally only have one reverb track and have a tiny amount of predelay, something less than 25ms probably. If I need to push something back, I might put the same "space" on another track with a shorter pre-delay, e.g, to send the guitar there.

In a larger group I'll always set up a 2nd reverb aux with a different (shorter!) predelay and that's where I'd send most instruments to varying degrees. Unless I'm trying to create an obvious wet reverb sound on a vocal, I still keep the same space. If I want a more obvious reverb-y vocal, I'll probably put a plate verb on that aux instead of the space one, though might send a bit of the vocal track to the space, too.

I don't use really long predelays, because if I want that kind of effect, I'd probably tinker with a delay plugin.
Interesting. Have you experimented with something longer 40 -100 but simply prefer the shorter 25 etc. ? The reason I ask us because I think with more pre delay (to a point below being a noticeable delay) you can use more reverb but not have it be particular more noticeable. (But I could just be foolin' myself)

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 03-15-2021 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-15-2021, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Interesting. Have you experimented with something longer 40 -100 but simply prefer the shorter 25 etc. ? The reason I ask us because I think with more pre delay (to a point below being a noticeable delay) you can use more reverb but not have it be particular more noticeable. (But I could just be foolin' myself)
I have not tried that length of pre-delay. I do associate 100ms+ as getting into "slap-back" territory (electric guitar pedal days), so probably why I think of it as a delay FX kind of number. I will try that (between 25 and say 75ms) next project and see how it works. (It may also be that when I choose a "space" for my projects, they're generally smaller rooms, so larger numbers don't show up in default settings to begin with...)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD