The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-16-2024, 08:51 PM

Default Check out this custom Headway guitar

My friend has a headway and I recorded it during jam yesterday. Anyone had any experience with headway? It sounds so clear and defined. Somewhat colingish-ish, but with more bass. It's cheaper than Yamaha LL 5x for a luthier built instrument. It projects well for its size.

Take a look at the video below

https://www.facebook.com/10006366072...Rt6El/?app=fbl

Though I doubt its lower tier guitars would sound fantastic.
000JR-10E Shawn Mendes

Last edited by Iain1231; 03-17-2024 at 02:42 AM.
Old 03-17-2024, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain1231 View Post
Recorded it during jam yesterday. Anyone had any experience with headway? It sounds so clear and defined
I have not played this specific model, but have played and owned many different Headway Models over the years. The most recent being the HF-531 Coffee.

I live in Korea, and with Japan being next door, we get many Headways in the shops here. Before Eastman started to get really popular here, Headway was always the "alternative" to Martin or Taylor here in Korea. While still Headway is still popular, Eastman, at least in Korea, is a bit cheaper and more readily available so they have sort of taken over.
IMO, other than Eastmans Antique Varnish Series, I think Headways sound much better and have a much higher build quality that Japan is known for.

I would say most Headways I have played have a hint of the "Martin" DNA but have a much "clearer" tone. Less bass heavy.

Overall, if you are not worried about what name is one the headstock, Headways are excellent instruments that wont break the bank and sound stellar.

Cheers
Old 03-17-2024, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

There are a number of great guitars that were and still are being made by excellent craftsmen in factories in Japan, Headway being one of them. Some great deals on Reverb, EBay, etc. for some of their 70’s and 80’s models. I haven’t yet owned or played a Headway, but could foresee one in my future!
  • Takamine 2006 Ltd.
  • Takamine EAC48C
  • Takamine ESF40C
  • Tama #3561 Dread
  • Whelan Dreadnought
  • Whelan Grand Auditorium
  • Yamaki YW-80
Old 04-01-2024, 08:23 AM

This past weekend I was fortunate enough to acquire a Seventy Seven Albatross Jazz-H semi hollow electric guitar, which was hand-made in the Aska Workshop of Deviser guitar co. in Japan. It is one of the finest crafted guitars I have ever played, with build quality and attention to detail in the ballpark of my 2001 Goodall RCJC.
This was a very happy impulse purchase with just a bit of research into the brand before diving in, but during that research I came across the Headway brand of acoustic guitars that they produce in the same shop. I am very impressed by what I've seen, although for some reason I feel that Headway acoustics are even harder to come by than Seventy Seven electrics here in the USA. I'm curious to try one but I have a feeling I would need to take the leap and buy one blindly in order to do so. With that in mind, I'm curious to get feedback from others here who have tried one of the higher end (made in Japan) Headway guitars, and how did it stack up to other high-end guitars that you've played (Collings, Goodall, Santa Cruz, Furch, Lowden)? Or if those comparisons are too lofty, then how did it compare to the standard offerings from Martin or Taylor?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion