The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-12-2023, 04:09 AM
Charter Member

Ditto on the GOTOH…

Aces on the confidence, aces on that model. I loved the cedar top on mine.
Old 12-12-2023, 04:27 AM

Nice job! I had no problems at all with the operation of the original Pingwell tuning machines on my E2OM-CD. I've actually rarely had problems with the basic operation of any tuning machines over the years.

But in the last few years I've taken a liking to wooden tuning machine buttons. I bought a few sets of Waverly tuning machines when Stew-Mac had one of their big sales. I had a set of open gear Waverly machines with ebony buttons hanging around that I put on my E2OM-CD. I also needed to open up the holes for the posts and push-in bushings, but as I recall the mounting holes lined up.

They look pretty good and work very well, though it probably seems strange to put $140 tuning machines on a $500 guitar....
Old 12-12-2023, 05:05 AM
Charter Member

I'm glad that the OP solved his issue, but also confused as to why the standard fit tuners were unsatisfactory.

The only tuning machines I've had issues with were Waverlies that fell apart (replaced gratis) and some Gotoh open backs in gold on my Santa Cruz, which are very slow to wind and the gold is wearing off.
Old 12-12-2023, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

When I got my new Eastman E10SS in 2012 the only thing I didn't like about it was the tuners. That and maybe the soft finish that for some reason didn't seem to cure properly.

I swapped out the tuners with some Grover Rotomatics that were a tight fit IIRC. I think I reamed out the holes slightly so I would be sure not to split the headstock.

Anyway 11 years later I still own and it and if I could only own one guitar I would choose it because it's good for flatpicking and finger picking.
Old 12-15-2023, 12:21 AM

Thanks a lot!
Old 12-15-2023, 01:09 AM

I should add that I'm giving the tuners on the E2OM another chance, after a relubricration with some thickish bike chain oil, which should lube it up and leave a film without also leaving a lot of grease or stuff that attracts dirt and dust.

The tuners were definitely smoother after a good lube, so maybe I should have done that first, but I'll see how it goes, and then may get some Gotoh SE770 tuners.
Old 12-15-2023, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose View Post
I swapped out the tuners with some Grover Rotomatics that were a tight fit IIRC. I think I reamed out the holes slightly so I would be sure not to split the headstock.

Anyway 11 years later I still own and it and if I could only own one guitar I would choose it because it's good for flatpicking and finger picking.
I've put mini Rotomatics, original Rotomatics and milk bottle Rotomatics on some instruments. I love their smooth, consistent, slip-free operation. I do prefer the look of open gear tuning machines though.

When I replaced some cheapo no-name open back tuning machines on my 10 string mandola with mini's I really had to ream out the headstock holes to fit them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
e2om, e2om-cd, eastman, gotoh 510