The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-17-2019, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Default Mobile, Birmingham and Decatur Alabama

I am travelling on business through Alabama this week and may have some downtime. Any recommendations on good shops in the cities listed above. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:17 PM
Guest 728

Don't know about the music stores, but when in Birmingham, be sure to try Saw's Soul Kitchen for barbecue, and TrimTab for craft beer, if you're into it.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

I've never been to their store but a few years I got a smoking hot deal on a new Gibson J-200 Jr from Bailey Brothers Music in Birmingham.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:27 AM

I live in Mobile and nothing here but a GC. I bought a D-18 from Bailey Brothers in Montgomery last year after going to music stores during trips and trying them out. GC doesn't have much of a selection of higher grade instruments. The Bailey Brothers store in Birmingham has a much larger selection although they are trying to get Montgomery to a better selection. There are a couple of small dealers in Prattville, AL (Lisenby's and Tweed) that sometimes have a couple of great used instruments for fairly good prices.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcstokes59 View Post
I am travelling on business through Alabama this week and may have some downtime. Any recommendations on good shops in the cities listed above. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Fretted Instruments on Linden Avenue in Homewood used to have some nice stuff. Haven't been in a long time. Used to keep some nice Collings on hand.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Bailey Brothers Music in Birmingham... huge, nice collection; I was there this past November and they had Martin Authentics, new Taylors, tons of high end Gibbys, Matons, Taks, and much more, plus they were nice folks. It's in Inverness, Shelby County on Hwy 280 South.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:15 PM

���� on Fretted Instruments in Homewood.

Pickers Paradise is a good bet in the Mobile area. It's across the bay in Stapleton. A few extra miles, but it's easy access.

If you feel like detouring to Pensacola Tringas used to be a great guitar shop. It's been a couple of decades so I don't know if they're still there.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:48 PM

Ooh. How could I forget Andy's Music in Mobile.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion