The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-17-2019, 07:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default WE HAVE A WINNER! Spinal Tap Trivia Contest: Gorgeous "Flame" Pick (see photos)

Actually, three winners. After exhausting my three finalists, I decided to award THREE (3) prizes for the survivors.

To make the final decision, I put all three of their names into a hat and had Rhonda pull out the winner.

Jeff Weaver takes home the flame casein model.

The other two finalists each take home an extremely clean casein tortoise demo models of their own choosing.

Thanks, Gentlemen!

SPINAL TAP TRIVIA CONTEST
CHARTER MEMBERS ONLY (per AGF guidelines)

This trivia contest is to celebrate and thank every member of AGF for the fantastic year we had in 2018. It all started here almost exactly three years ago, and this will always be home. Thank You, AGF!

For this contest we are giving away free ONE (1) of our “flame” model picks, the most popular line in our catalog of more than twenty models. This represents a $40 to $45 value -- and we'll throw in shipping too. You can have your choice of teardrop, triangle, or our new mando model:

IMPORTANT: Per AGF guidelines, this trivia contest is open to CHARTER MEMBERS ONLY. This is not my decision, but per AGF contest rules. Please consider donating $25.00 to this wonderful website to help pay for the server and upkeep on the site.

PLEASE NOTE: AGF Sponsors are NOT eligible, nor are Moderators.

If anyone gets the correct answer but in the process violates the rules, CLP reserves the exclusive right to cancel the contest without a declared winner.

Please read ALL rules before posting. Also, please read other posts before posting, as folks often post a question you already asked. In that situation, you lose a turn.

My trivia typically is very difficult, but not impossible.

Best advice: Ask yes or no questions, or either/or true/false types of questions, instead of wild stabs or random guesses

RULES: I will not begin with any clues. This is sort of set up like the game Twenty Questions.

1) You are permitted to ask ONE (1) question or take one guess per turn

2) You must then wait FIVE (5) posts from other members (not including me) before you can ask another question.

3) You cannot combine two questions into one post; one question per post, please.

Again, a reminder that this contest is limited to CHARTER MEMBERS ONLY, per AGF guidelines. Please do consider upping your membership.

I am in and out of the shop, as always, on and off the computer, but will do my best to check in frequently.

Let the Games begin!

Best of luck....

Scott Memmer
President
Charmed Life Picks

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 03-10-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:40 PM
AGF Sponsor

Anyone gonna steal this pick from me?

Last time I had a trivia contest, people went nuts. C'mon, folks, at least TRY.

sm
Old 02-17-2019, 08:51 PM

Does it go up to 11?

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 02-17-2019, 09:02 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Does it go up to 11?
Bruce, hah! Thanks for playing. My trivia is a LITTLE more challenging than that. "It's still got the old tagger on it!"

thanks again,
scott
Old 02-18-2019, 01:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

Gee, folks, I guess I'll try this again. There are more than 300 people on the main board right now. I'm happy to do this, but will probably pull it down if no activity.

Happiest of Holidays to all of you.

scott
Old 02-18-2019, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

The Fender guitar that can never be played, touched or even pointed at?
Old 02-18-2019, 01:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
The Fender guitar that can never be played, touched or even pointed at?
Nope, but love that whole scene. Thanks for playing! Good try. "We've seen enough of that one."

Who's next?

scott
Old 02-18-2019, 02:25 PM

Is it bigger than the puppets' dressing room?
Old 02-18-2019, 02:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustigoat View Post
Is it bigger than the puppets' dressing room?
Hah! Good one! Nope. Keep playing.

If people keep playing and guess, I may consider giving some clues, to narrow it down.

Thanks, Goat!

Scott
Old 02-18-2019, 04:32 PM

What sets off the metal detector at the airport?
Old 02-18-2019, 04:53 PM

Default spinal tap

Is this about one of the movie songs that have not been released?..."HeartBreak Hotel"
Old 02-18-2019, 05:17 PM

I'm smelling the glove right now.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 02-18-2019, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Default KARMA GIVEAWAY

Another giveaway... outstanding! And this one by a sponsor... thanks, Charmed Life Picks. Please remember this giveaway is open ONLY to charter members. Others are free to join HERE and participate. Here are the giveaway rules... Good luck!
-----------

It's called the KARMA Giveaway. It's fun and helps build community and, well, good karma!

So, what is a KARMA Giveaway? The KARMA giveaway is a pay-it-forward thing where an AGF member or sponsor has something of value they want to give away for free to some lucky AGF member. He posts a new thread in the General Acoustic Guitar Discussion area that contains a brief description and photo of the item, sets a time limit (generally a week, give or take) and then asks people who would like the item to post a reply in that thread.

After the allotted time has run out the OP (original poster) randomly selects a winner and announces the winner in the thread. The winner makes contact via PM with his shipping address and the OP ships the item to the winner.

There should generally only be one KARMA Giveaway running at a time. That keeps it flowing smoothly and for a good long time. If you have something you want to KARMA, wait until the current one running is finished and then start yours. There might on occasion be more than one running because two people posted at the same time, and that's okay. We just don't want to dilute the fun by having too many running at once.

Here are some basic 'rules' for this:

1.) Items to be given away: These can be anything. They should be (but do not have to be) guitar-related. They should be in good working order/condition (this isn't a way to get rid of your trash!). It should have some value - it can be something as simple as a new pack of strings or something as bold as a guitar! Note: I can be more than one thing. For instance, if you say had 5 packs of strings you could select 5 winners! But if it's 5 different things then just do one KARMA at a time.

2.) Shipping: One thing to consider is shipping costs. The person giving the item away pays for the shipping. So if you are giving away something large and heavy, take this into consideration. Also consideration should be taken as to where the item is located. Since shipping to a different country is expensive, the giver may ask that only people in their home country enter the contest or that winners in a different country be willing to pay for part or all of the shipping.

3.) Writing up your thread: To start one of these simply start a New Thread in the main General Acoustic Guitar Discussion area. Your thread title should contain the word KARMA in all caps so everyone can clearly see it's a KARMA giveaway. You should also include the item being KARMA'd. This will let people know without reading any farther whether they are interested in participating. In the Message area put in a description of the item you are giving away, a photo if you have one, the amount of time the contest will run and any other limitations such as shipping restrictions. Another common limitation is requiring people to have been forum members for a specific time. This keeps people from just creating multiple new accounts to better their chances of winning (an example of bad-karma!).

4.) Run time: One week is a good amount of time for a KARMA to run as a general rule. This allows many people a chance to enter since not everyone visit's the forum on a daily basis. If something has a very high value (like a guitar) then you might want to run it longer to get as many people as possible. But running too long runs the risk of people forgetting to check back in a timely fashion. Too short and someone might miss out on something they really wanted.

5.) Entering to win: Easy-peasy! Just hit reply and say something like, "Count me in!" or something along those lines. Some considerations for those entering: Only enter once! Only reply because you actually want the item - this isn't the place to 'discuss' your feelings about the item! You should genuinely want the item for your own personal use. (I.e. You shouldn't just be trying to win the item so you can then flip it on craigslist!) If you get the item and find it's not for you then you should pay-it-forward to someone else via a KARMA of your own or something similar. (To do otherwise would be to invoke bad-karma!) Also, remember to check back if you entered!

6.) Picking a winner: The person who is giving away the item selects a winner at random. This can be done any way he wants. Some people have a child, spouse or friend pick a number from 2 (1 being the first poster) to X (being the last post in the thread). The number of the post is located in the upper right corner of each new reply.

7.) Ending the contest: Once the winner is announced the winner should make contact with the OP via PM or email with their shipping address and the OP then sends the item to the winner. If the winner does not check in with the OP in a timely manner - say another week - then the OP can randomly select a different winner. So remember if you entered to win, make sure you make a mental note of the end date and check back to see if you've won!!

Let's show everyone how great the AGF community is and generate some good karma! If you have any questions let us know.

... Thanks again to Methos1979 for writing up the rules.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:39 PM

Did it spontaneously combust? It's rare, but it happens.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:15 PM

Question deleted.

I did not count the number of replies correctly. Need someone else to jump in !

Last edited by acoustigoat; 02-18-2019 at 07:17 PM. Reason: misread number of replies

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion