The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-17-2019, 12:28 PM
Guest 33123

Default let try this again: opinions on the future of my J-45

Hi guys,

I'd like to try this post again. I took some heat yesterday for not explaining the situation fully from the get go. Some of you though were kind enough to offer your thoughts on this topic so...

I want to hear your opinions on this non-urgent issue. I have a 2012 Gibson J-45 Standard. I can't decide whether to keep it or move on.

Some context:

I bought this guitar new. It has been played weekly+ for it's entire life with me. It is in fine shape with an excellent setup. It has been properly maintained in a climate and humidity controlled environment. It is stock except for a Colosi bone saddle.

I have been playing for 34 years, the last 17 fully acoustic. I fingerpick rags, blues and gospel in the RGD style with bare fingers. I have owned 3 Martins since the 90s. I have owned 5 Gibsons since the 90s. I love Martins and Gibsons equally for their distinct attributes.

Positive attributes of my J-45:

- It is the best sounding J-45 I have played.
- It records well.
- It has excellent action.
- It has a gorgeous burst (I know, I know but it does matter to me).
- It is paid for.

Negative attributes of my J-45 (these took time (years?) for me to realize):

- Major issue is that I find it difficult to sit with and play. In these moments my right shoulder feels "funny" when I play it and I feel like I'm wrestling with it to keep it in optimal playing position. Some times are better than others but the discomfort is happening more often. Could be an age thing since I'm turning 47. I don't like to stand and play so that's out.
- I find the neck profile too small. It is a slim taper. I prefer larger necks.
- I don't find it is tonally balanced when I move up the neck despite appropriate adjustments in my technique to compensate. Too much bass.
- Not a fan of the stock Grover tuners.
- Not a fan of the stock black Tusq nut (also poorly cut).
- Not a fan of the stock pickup.

Would these issues be enough for you to move on eventually? I'm really on the fence here. I was thinking about a smaller body Gibson with specs I like to replace it, such as a L-00 Vintage but I need to be money conscious for the next while. I was trying to orchestrate a trade deal locally for a L-00 but it didn't work out. I could also take it to my repair guy and have him change out the parts I don't like but that doesn't solve the ergonomic issues.

So what say you? I know it's a first-world problem so I'd appreciate it if you didn't chew me a new one over this topic...

BTW here are two sound clips if you're curious about the tone of this guitar. They were recorded on a Zoom H2n using the built-in mics on the mid-side setting. The mics were placed ~12 inches from the 12th fret. There is no post-processing, just raw tracks.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 02-17-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Default On the fence

Hello fellow Canadian.

Move on. Comfort, playability and sound need to be balanced.

daniel
Old 02-17-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post

- Major issue is that I find it difficult to sit with and play. In these moments my right shoulder feels "funny" when I play it and I feel like I'm wrestling with it to keep it in optimal playing position. Some times are better than others but the discomfort is happening more often. I don't like to stand and play so that's out.

I think this says it all.

If a guitar is not comfortable to play, I move on from it. This can be difficult to do with a cool guitar that sounds great but for me, I jut don't need a guitar that is uncomfortable.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:48 PM

Yeah, after all this time with the guitar and you’re finding these issues, I’d move it out and never look back. Playing time is too valuable and life’s too short.

Good luck.

Roger
Old 02-17-2019, 12:55 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I'm going on 64, everything is starting to "feel funny," lol. I started wearing a strap even though I play seated and it allows me to play larger guitars comfortably. I shift the neck up and allow my right shoulder to breathe a bit.

Ok, but that's me. If a strap doesn't work for you, go smaller then, just keep an eye on the body depth. Too thin and that's the sound you're going to get from them.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-17-2019, 12:56 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Major issue is that I find it difficult to sit with and play.
I just sold a new Taylor 714ce V-Class after two months largely for this reason. Taylor brightness is always a bit of a challenge for my ears. But it was an interesting counterpoint to my D-41, so I was making peace with it. But the narrow body and tight waist made it difficult for me to play seated...which is pretty much how I play exclusively. Ends up I not only love the big dread sound but also the big dread body. So the Taylor had to find a new home. And I picked up Martin’s new slope dread. Soooo comfortable and FUN to play. Glad I made the move.

Life’s just too short to have to fight an uncomfortable guitar...

Last edited by Rev Roy; 02-17-2019 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-17-2019, 01:52 PM

If you can't find a way to play it comfortably, I would move on to something else.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:13 PM

I suppose I'm with the consensus so far.
I couldn't keep a guitar I was uncomfortable playing either.
As an aside, I don't care for that pickup either. Of the UST's I have played or owned, it's not very good. To all those who like it...YMMV.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-17-2019, 02:14 PM
Guest 33123

Thanks for the responses guys. As a note I've been playing it exclusively all last week to be sure my discomfort is not actually GAS induced imaginations. I'll continue on and report back.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:23 PM

Couple years ago I had to give up on a wonderful Larrivee SD-40 that I absolutely adored in every way except one: it aggravated my tinnitus terribly no matter what strings I put on it.

Dang I loved that guitar.

Two years later I still get pangs of sadness when I think about it.

But I had to let it go because I couldn't play it for more than ten minutes.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:32 PM

I had to get rid of a few guitars that were amazing simply because they were uncomfortable for me to play. Sometimes it was shoulder issue and sometimes it was fretting hand/wrist issue. That is enough of a reason to move on from any guitar in my opinion no matter how good it sounds or how good it looks.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
As a note I've been playing it exclusively all last week to be sure my discomfort is not actually GAS induced imaginations.
Either way, I'm guessing that guitar is gone. I think the guitar sounds good, but if you think you're imagining pain in facilitate GAS...
Old 02-17-2019, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

First off, you play great!!! and the guitar tone channels the soul of the music you're playing very well. Nice playing! :-)

Second, sometimes a river runs its course. As a player, I've evolved and my preferences sometimes evolve too. And as I've grown as a guitarist, I become more in touch with nuances that didn't bother me at first, but do now.

If you are not happy or have enough area's of dissatisfaction, its OK to move on to whatever works best for you.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 02-17-2019, 03:08 PM

well it sounds to me like you have more negative issues than positive. Unless there is a sentimental attachment to the guitar maybe you should move on. it's not like it's a 1943 banner... but depending on the budget, it's still could be played occasionally and certainly looks good as an art piece on the wall. thats an absolute factor in my love for Gibsons for 40 years.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

I will just add,

1. Playing position is everything. Take it from me, as someone who sold a dreadnought due to “shoulder issues” only to find that after a few adjustments to my posture, I have no trouble. Now, that may be your case and may not be. But don’t underestimate the impact of how your sitting, angle of guitar to your body, what chair or stool you use, whether you use a strap (even sitting) etc before you write off a guitar as uncomfortable. If those things (or other adjustments) don’t help, move on, but don’t toss this guitar without really troubleshooting here.

2. These things are irrelevant because they’re completely alterable:
- Not a fan of the stock Grover tuners.
- Not a fan of the stock black Tusq nut (also poorly cut).
- Not a fan of the stock pickup.

3. It sounds like there’s a lot you like about this guitar. Whatever you do, don’t sell this one BEFORE you buy the replacement. Odds of regret skyrocket when you sell to fund GAS. Really settle in with two guitars, then decide. I’ll finally add, as much as I wanted to believe otherwise for a while, there really is no one absolute perfect in all ways in all situations guitar. There will always be things you like more and less about even expensive guitars. That’s what gives them personality.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion