The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-15-2019, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Default The NYRs at the gym! (a minor rant!)

I knew it would happen and, of course, in the past I've been one.

I have to go to the gym three times a week - it's not about the body beautiful, its about regaining my strength and stamina after all the fun and frolic with cancer in 2017.

Despite the consultants reluctance, my GP (who knows me well) made a medical referral to the gym, and I began my remedial work on this day last year.

Oh but the New Year's resolution folk!

I thought I'd worked out the least busy times to go, but the gym is full of overweight people staring confusedly at the machines, getting things wrong, gazing at their phones (sadly a major issue esp. with the younger folk) or just sitting on the machines gazing into middle distance.

... and to add insult to injury - they keep using my favourite bench in the changing room!

I'm helping one of the Personal Trainers with some business admin advice and I was checking out his website yesterday - he writes:

"Hundreds appear in the gym after 1st January looking for gym induction. The gym is inundated! They have woken up in the new year, to transform themselves just because it’s the new year.
After the excesses of Christmas and new year, they are determined to start getting fit, and whilst not critical of their intentions, unfortunately, by the end of February this tide of people starts to recede. By March, there are fewer and, by April, few have lasted the course. It is a little sad.

Then, of course he goes on to list reasons why personal trainer can help.

Never mind - they'll mostly be gone by March and I'll get "my" gym (and favourite bench) back!
Old 01-15-2019, 01:41 PM
Musical minimalist

I ran the fitness dept. at a very large community center back in the 90's. About '95 or so we computerized and I was able to "track" visits and memberships.

I took an interest in seeing the "mortality" rate of new members after January 1st one year.

If I remember correctly, by the end of January, roughly 40% had quit coming, and by the end of March, it had crept to over 65%. By June you could drive a semi through the room

Old 01-15-2019, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

I'm banned from the gym. The women are distracted by me and I intimidate the men.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
I'm banned from the gym. The women are distracted by me and I intimidate the men.
LOL! And he's humble and lovable too!

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 01-15-2019, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Hi Andrew,
Yes. It’s the same in the states. I live near a very pleasant mid-city park that has walking paths. I walk through the park at least 3 times a week on my way to my shuttle stop.

It’s been crowded with walkers lately. But by next week or so, it’ll be back to the usual folk.

Sad, really.

Optima dies, prima fugit
For Sale: Larrivee P 01Khttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...49#post7433849
Old 01-15-2019, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Hi all, I guess it is alittle sad, but it's pretty "human" isn't it?

Just like folks who start diets, give up smoking (if anyone still does that) and drinking.

I guess good intentions are still better than no intentions.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:21 PM

I'm not a fan any season but I do see the waves. When many stop going to the gym they go buy a bicycle but often stay with it or come back to it.

Many also use their fitness trackers for a short while and give it up. That's funny to me because I never thought I'd like that but my wife and I are hooked. A machine nudging me is much better than a person.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:31 PM

Look at it this way - These people are like those who always renew their car insurance without shopping around. They just pay what the insurance company ask which ends up being about three times what they could get it for. The people who take new gym memberships commit to paying for the year and only go for a few weeks but in doing so, they help keep the price down for everyone else.

YouTube
Old 01-15-2019, 04:52 PM

Then there are the people that buy high end guitars, in hopes of playing better but then just play three chord strumming songs.

Btw, we just joined a gym yesterday. We are among the rabble.

Last edited by RedJoker; 01-15-2019 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
I’m banned from the gym too. They told me I was depressing the young people there.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:41 PM

Yep, I see it every year -- enthusiastic noobies in bandages by Valentine's Day and gone by the Ides of March.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:22 AM

Let's hope some of them can stick with it!

Everyone has to start somewhere.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
Let's hope some of them can stick with it!

Everyone has to start somewhere.
That's the right attitude. I'm convinced we'd have a happier and healthier world with more physical activity in developed nations.

Something worth considering for this topic is several active people I know only use their gym memberships when it's unpleasant or dangerous to be active outside.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
Then there are the people that buy high end guitars, in hopes of playing better but then just play three chord strumming songs. .
Isn’t that what most of today’s Country Western “stars” do? Come out on stage with a 3K custom axe hanging around their neck with a custom high end hand tooled leather strap and get right into a G,C,D chord strum? Then about 30 seconds later they even quit that and just sing as the real musicians play in the background. But they still have that awesome eye candy hanging around their neck as they are hanging onto it for dear life as the song continues. Pathetic.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
Isn’t that what most of today’s Country Western “stars” do? Come out on stage with a 3K custom axe hanging around their neck with a custom high end hand tooled leather strap and get right into a G,C,D chord strum? Then about 30 seconds later they even quit that and just sing as the real musicians play in the background. But they still have that awesome eye candy hanging around their neck as they are hanging onto it for dear life as the song continues. Pathetic.
Probably why the classifieds here are full of high end guitars, used car lots full of BMW's, Audi's, and Jag's. and Pelatons are about to be arriving at the curb side in the spring...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic