The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-14-2019, 12:40 PM

Default Why my 2017 X7 is louder than my new X10

Others have remarked on this surprising phenomenon as well. Heres my theory.

My X10 has 23 frets and my X7 has 18 frets. The distance from the end of the fretboard to the saddle is 6" on the X10 and 7.5" on the X7. So the length of the unconstrained sound board is is significantly greater on the little old X7.

Last edited by JimCA; 01-14-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Hi Jim,

Sounds logical. I have also heard that the individual adjustable saddles may dampen the sound somewhat, but did you get that feature on your X10? Am I recalling correctly that you ordered your X10 with the single saddle? I find that my X10 has about the same volume acoustically as my previous generation X7. To my ear, the X7 has a "punchier" sound, the X10 seems to have a more mellow tone. If I dig in with the X7, I notice the increase in sound; not as much with the X10.

The X7 seems to hold its own. I expected the X10 to have more volume than it does. Your explanation makes sense.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:28 PM

Hi Jim,

Yes I have a single saddle -- maybe that doesn't make much difference in acoustic volume. And I thought that in one of your sound comparison posts, your X7 was loudest.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCA View Post
Hi Jim,

Yes I have a single saddle -- maybe that doesn't make much difference in acoustic volume. And I thought that in one of your sound comparison posts, your X7 was loudest.
Interesting how we perceive things. I love my X7. But, I also love the X10 and X20. As much as it is possible to have those feelings for an inanimate object, that is.

I should have put a deciblemeter app on there as part of that comparison. Too late for now: we are gearing up for heading out again, and today was all about getting the stuff from my guitar room put away. (sigh)

We're gearing up to head out again, and the decisions to be made about which one goes and what stays behind (in their "secure, undisclosed location"). Early voting is leaning towards the X10... but, the Blonde said, "Bring two if you want." As if that choice is any easier.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:41 PM

In that case I have a winner. My X7 Nylon has a distance of 8.3" between fretboard and saddle.

However, this could be a matter of having the saddle at the center of the lower bout where the top moves the most.
The saddle of my X7 is actually off-center towards the far edge of the lower bout and I suspect my guitar is not as loud as it could have been.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 01-14-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I (in their "secure, undisclosed location").
Oh that place again..I mean uhhh,,, good idea
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-14-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
I suspect my guitar is not as loud as it could have been.

Strum a wee harder...hope this helps
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-18-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCA View Post
Others have remarked on this surprising phenomenon as well. Heres my theory.

My X10 has 23 frets and my X7 has 18 frets. The distance from the end of the fretboard to the saddle is 6" on the X10 and 7.5" on the X7. So the length of the unconstrained sound board is is significantly greater on the little old X7.
Hi I think my input is not relevant to your question as I don't own either X10 or X7. I have a small all solid wood guitar that is louder than my X20.

X20 has much larger body than my small wood guitar, so it is still a mystery to me.

So about the volume, it depends...

Past:
2015 --- Maton S60
2016 --- Mini Maton EM6
ft. AP5 Original
2017 --- Cole Clark CCAN2EC-SR
ft. 3-way pickup
2017 --- Cole Clark CCLL1RM

Current:
2017 --- Anuenue M200
2018 --- Emerald X20 Opus
ft. satin neck + LR Baggs Element

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber