The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 07-18-2018, 10:28 PM

Default Just Saw YES 50 Anniversary Tour Last Night!!

I am a big Yes fan. When I got an email telling me that they were playing in my town and I jumped on the web and ordered a ticket, the other half's not a fan - her loss. I grabbed a fifth row center seat and wouldn't wait. The Paramount Center is a converted movie hall with only 1000 seats and an incredible sound system.
I was disappointed that Jon Anderson was not part of the band BUT Jon Davison was anything but disappointing. The lineup was Steve Howe, Geoff Downes, Billy Sherwood and John Davison.
I've seen Yes many times including their first concert in the US so I had high expectations and they exceeded them. The sound was perfect, not loud and perfectly mastered. I had a perfect view of the stage and Steve Howe had a tour de force of guitars. His main guitar was a Gibson ES175 but he also used a Strat, Custom Tele, Martin MC38, Fender Steel Pedal, Portuguese 12 string, Line6 Variax 600 and finally a Steinberg Spirit. I'll admit it took some research to get them right. Steve Howe was phenomenal. It was interesting to see that he changed some of the phrasing of licks during the performance. I guess after 50 years some changes "needed" to be made to keep it interesting for him. Chris Squire would have been proud to have Billy Sherwood playing lead bass. He used 3 or 4 guitars including a fretless base and watching him play matching lead licks with Steve Howe was great.
Alan White came out during the end of the second set and Tony Kaye joined the band for the Grand Finale which lasted about as long as the second set! All in all one of the best concerts I have seen in a long time.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 07-19-2018, 04:36 AM
Charter Member

Alan wasn't playing drums the whole show? Is he Ill?
Old 07-19-2018, 05:05 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
Alan wasn't playing drums the whole show? Is he Ill?
Yes, he is.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-19-2018, 05:13 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
I've seen Yes many times including their first concert in the US so I had high expectations and they exceeded them. The sound was perfect, not loud and perfectly mastered. I had a perfect view of the stage and Steve Howe had a tour de force of guitars. His main guitar was a Gibson ES175 but he also used a Strat, Custom Tele, Martin MC38, Fender Steel Pedal, Portuguese 12 string, Line6 Variax 600 and finally a Steinberg Spirit. I'll admit it took some research to get them right. Steve Howe was phenomenal. It was interesting to see that he changed some of the phrasing of licks during the performance. I guess after 50 years some changes "needed" to be made to keep it interesting for him. Chris Squire would have been proud to have Billy Sherwood playing lead bass. He used 3 or 4 guitars including a fretless base and watching him play matching lead licks with Steve Howe was great.
Thanks for the review. I was wondering how (Howe) things would hold up on this half of the YES saga.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-19-2018, 05:48 AM
Charter Member

Deleted. Answer found.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:21 AM

After I read this post I went and watched youtube videos both incarnations of the Yes band, and they are both good but I sure wish they would bring Jon Anderson and Wakeman into the Steve Howe Yes. Because both of those guys are still singing and playing at a high level.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:37 PM

Yes, sad to see there are currently two versions of the band touring, confusing and unfair to the fans.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:24 AM

The 2nd-to-last time I saw Yes, it was the Mk3 version, Anderson/Howe/Squire/Wakeman/White, in Lowell, Mass - look for the 'Live at the Tsongas' DVD or youtubes - phenomenal show. I was sitting about 15 rows back, right in front of Howe. Couldn't keep track of his guitar changing - sometimes 3 guitars in one song.
Then I saw them again a couple of years ago (opener for Styx!) without Anderson and vowed never to see "Yes" again. It just wasn't the same.
Glad you enjoyed the show, though.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN