The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-24-2009, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Default What was recently giving you a problem and how did your solve it?

Mine was the opening run of Rodrigo's Zapateado. I thought it was my left hand that was too slow and it turned out that playing it with the right hand imimim was the problem. It was necessary to use imimia. For whatever reason this small change changed everything.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:14 PM
The Foreigner

Two problems:

First, I wasn't getting enough "contact" with the strings for a consistent "fat" tone, so I decided to shape my fingernails with a slight asymmetry. Works great!

Second, for certain songs there's sometimes the issue of unwanted sympathetic vibrations (whether dissonant or not) from unplayed strings. I'm teaching my left- and right- hand fingers to work together dynamically to mute the b*ggers while playing other strings.
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )

Last edited by mmmaak; 06-24-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:24 AM

This is a a great question. I'm surprised it hasn't garnered many responses. My newest "doh!" moment was the other night when realizing that by not laying my 2nd finger down on the third fret low E string on a 020003 chord, I was causing undue tension and creating a hint of a pause in the transition because of it. So even though that g note is not called for, it sped things up to fret it. Yeah, this is beginnery stuff, but that's where I am.

The other thing is my posture as it affects both shoulders. I slump. I like slumping. It feels natural. It's hard not to slump. But boy, when I sit up straighter, both shoulders are grateful. I last longer with fewer aches at the end of a session. Just wish it didn't require so much concentration. I lapse back into a slouchy posture pretty quickly.
Pono OO-20
Pono OP-30DC
Old 06-27-2009, 11:35 AM

It is a nice topic, and I recently figured something out that made me pretty happy. It's kind of hard for me to explain "guitar talk", so I tabbed it out quickly.

There was a song I made up a few months ago, and one part always gave me great problems. The chord was an F chord (thumb on the sixth string), but that wasn't the problem.

The problem was, all the extra notes need to be fretted with the pinky, and I was finding it very difficult to do it up to a good speed. I just thought it was my pinky, it needed some more "training".

So after a few months of almost no improvement, I took a closer look at what I was doing. I realized I was playing all the high E and B string notes with my middle finger, and my index was only doing a couple of notes on the G string.

I started using my index for a few more notes, and it's going a lot better. Never realized it was that, and just assumed it was my pinky. What a waste of time, I thought - but now I learned to actually look at what's going on and don't assume the problem is this or that (and use more fingers with my picking hand...!).

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write