The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-17-2019, 04:51 PM

Default What the heck is a Waterloo? WL-14 XTR- where have you been?!

The last steel string acoustic guitar I bought was a Martin DM dread back in 1997.

Mainly a bass player, but I have found myself having a lot of fun finger picking songs on acoustic over the past few years. I bought a cheap Alvarez nylon hybrid a few years ago to mix things up a bit. Not the greatest sounding guitar, but I fell in love with the wide, thick neck and wider string spacing at the bridge. In comparison, my Martin neck is tiny in every dimension. As a bass player that uses fingers, a pick has never felt natural to me, and finger style was so much more effortless on the Alvarez that I found myself reaching for it over the Martin most of the time.

The Martin has been more than serviceable, and strumming 1st position chords on a dread is one of the great joys in life for sure! But I have been craving a steel string version of the Alvarez- a small body and wide string spacing, so that has been the focus on my monthly tour of local shops over the last year. I was content with what I had, so never a priority but I was always ready to jump if the right one came along.

The thing is most of the small bodies I played sounded anemic and thin. There were a few that I would have loved to own, but were way out of my price range. Actually, most of the big $ guitars I played were disappointing. No-Go even if I had the jack. I still remember a Martin 000-15 that had the sound I was after, but the smallish neck kept me from pulling the trigger.

About a month ago I walked into GC and saw a little black and white number hanging in the used section. What the hell is a Waterloo? The first thing I noticed was how light it was when I pulled it down. The sharp V neck felt odd, but thick enough to be comfortable at the same time. Then I started picking and the notes JUMPED off the neck and out of the small body. A little boxy, but there was a depth and complexity that was new to me for a guitar of this size. And there was so much room between the strings, so perfect!

I knew the sales guy well, and he explained to me what a Waterloo is- I was familiar with Collings as a brand but had never played one. I typically would have gone home and done some research first, but I was already smitten. We struck a deal and that was that!

It has been a few weeks and I love love love this guitar. Of course I jumped online and read / listened to everything Waterloo I could find as well. That lead me to this forum of course, so I had no choice but to share my new discovery!

Last edited by martyloo; 02-17-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:01 PM

Congrats, it great to find a guitar you can really bond with. You got a good one.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:40 PM

I own the same model of guitar and I couldn't agree more. It's small and light and yet totally alive with a unique sound that is (in my opinion) especially nice for fingerstyle blues - but which holds its own for almost anything. I can't imagine ever selling mine. If anything, I'd consider a WL-12 to complement it.

Enjoy!
Orangewood Oliver Jr. Mahogany
Gretsch Jim Dandy and...
Old 02-17-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebrot View Post
I own the same model of guitar and I couldn't agree more. It's small and light and yet totally alive with a unique sound that is (in my opinion) especially nice for fingerstyle blues - but which holds its own for almost anything. I can't imagine ever selling mine. If anything, I'd consider a WL-12 to complement it.

Enjoy!
Thanks!

After viewing all the ladder vs. X videos on YT, my ears actually prefer the ladder sound from what I have heard. More of a forward and focused sound. Then I pick up my X and hear that deep hollow yet detailed ring and wonder how I that can be improved upon?!

So, I agree with the WL-12 as a complement. But plenty of time for that, gonna enjoy what I have for now.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:07 PM

HA!

I bought the black one in the photo - X braced first and then swapped another guitar for the Ladder....

(I tend to think of the X as a Gibson L-00 and the L as a Kalamazoo )

BluesKing777.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:21 PM

Congratulations! I love my Waterloo, though I've only had it a couple of weeks. I actually picked mine up at the Collings factory, which was extra fun. They love them too, I could tell, and seemed to get a kick out of selling one directly to a customer.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:14 PM
Guest 728

Congratulations on your Waterloo, and welcome to the forum! My WL12 continues to reveal new aspects of itself every day. You have stumbled upon a lifetime guitar, if you want it to be!
Old 02-17-2019, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to the forum... and to the Waterloo Club! Fun guitars.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:05 PM

I'll bet the WL-14 XTR is really good. I have had a WL-12Mh for a year or so and just got a WL-JK this week that is fantastic! I think I want one of each of the Waterloos.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:50 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the kind welcome all.

BK777 - One of each seems like a logical solution to ladder vs X!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion