The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-17-2019, 09:49 PM

Default Learning on 2 styles of guitar; slow me down or end up better on the long run?

I’m not learning as a total beginner. But decided to get back in the game after I gave up on barre chords 15 years ago. So now I know the basics (and can play barre chords). So I tried a 12 fret and loved it. Then ordered what I thought would be heaven on a stick. I did not like my 2017 Taylor 714ce Ltd cedar/koa 12 fret. Luckily I got a good trade-in offer for a McPherson Sable (a guitar I had actually played). Love it but still yearn for that 12 fret. So, recently I picked up up a poor man’s Collings DS1A (my dream guitar). I bought an Alvarez ARDA1965 slotted 12 fret slope. I love it but also love the Sable. I call them Mutt n’ Jeff. Although I got the bare basics I still have rookie work to do. So would learning with both of these slow down my progression? Would I be better in the long run? Any other pros and cons would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:58 PM

I think you’re overthinking this. Don’t worry about the guitar and start playing. You’re lucky your starting out on such a nice guitar!
Old 02-17-2019, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

Having more than one guitar doesn't slow down the learning process. I actually think it might help the process a bit.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-18-2019, 03:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Having more than one guitar doesn't slow down the learning process. I actually think it might help the process a bit.
I'm with Barry. If you like various aspects of each guitar you will probably spend more time playing overall and you will also learn about the strengths and weaknesses of each guitar for your musical journey. So enjoy them all!
Old 02-18-2019, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeASir_ View Post
...you’re overthinking this. Don’t worry about the guitar and start playing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
If you like various aspects of each guitar you will probably spend more time playing overall and you will also learn about the strengths and weaknesses of each guitar for your musical journey.
I guess I don't need to add anything other than to affirm that these guys are telling you everything you need to know. There's no way it's going to be a hindrance and will make you more immediately capable of showing up at someone elses place and playing their guitar without any problems due to differences.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 02-18-2019, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgrit View Post
I’m not learning as a total beginner. But decided to get back in the game after I gave up on barre chords 15 years ago. So now I know the basics (and can play barre chords). So I tried a 12 fret and loved it. Then ordered what I thought would be heaven on a stick. I did not like my 2017 Taylor 714ce Ltd cedar/koa 12 fret. Luckily I got a good trade-in offer for a McPherson Sable (a guitar I had actually played). Love it but still yearn for that 12 fret. So, recently I picked up up a poor man’s Collings DS1A (my dream guitar). I bought an Alvarez ARDA1965 slotted 12 fret slope. I love it but also love the Sable. I call them Mutt n’ Jeff. Although I got the bare basics I still have rookie work to do. So would learning with both of these slow down my progression? Would I be better in the long run? Any other pros and cons would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.
It probably depends on the person and how much muscle memory is needed. If you are staring at the fretboard while playing, I don't think it will impact you to change guitars. If you play in the dark or don't look at the fretboard there will be a slight adjustment between guitars. Over time you will switch subconsciously.

I switch between multiple guitars and ukuleles. I also watch my hand on the fretboard unless I am only doing simple chord changes.

Good luck.

-B
Old 02-18-2019, 07:14 AM

I can't imagine that practicing on two different steel string acoustics could have any significant effect. However, it seems to me that one might benefit from separating the "learning the fingerings" component from the "strength and pain tolerance" component by using different types of guitars. For example, an electric guitar is much easier on the fingers for a newbie, thus perhaps allowing more rapid learning of the basics. Those basics could then be transferred to the steel string acoustic where the strength could be developed. Whether or not this is a faster way to learn could easily be addressed empirically. I do not know if anyone has done so.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:22 AM

Play on any instrument you can get your hands on. Time on task is the important factor.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 02-18-2019, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

I thought you were referring to learning two styles of music simultaneously, vs focussing on one. Which is at least an arguable point. But two different guitars? No issues. Just play the bejeezus out of at least one of them...

-Ray
Old 02-18-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeASir_ View Post
I think you’re overthinking this. Don’t worry about the guitar and start playing. You’re lucky your starting out on such a nice guitar!
I agree. After playing for 40 years I am not even close to having a stable like that - and I consider myself a pretty good guitar player. When I talk of spending more than $500 on anything my wife counters with "but you're not a professional" only to turn on the TV and watch some professionals play pretty poorly.

The way I look at it, playing music is like learning a language and not trying to reproduce another's work and technique. Others will tell you how it sounds - but you can also determine that by recording yourself and listening to the playback.

The guitar should only come into play in how it responds, but as you have determined not all guitars respond the same. That's actually a good thing. Don't fool yourself into thinking that the tone woods or the name on the headstock has anything to do with that. Using your own hands and ears - and gut - you should be able to quickly determine is one guitar's responsiveness overlaps with another and trim the herd accordingly. At some point you may find that there may only be a need for one or two guitars.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Person dependent, me thinks.

For me, the more guitars I have, the more time I spend comparing them and the less I spend actually practicing. Others, however, do not have this problem.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:53 AM

Just don't get hung up on the notion that if you're struggling with playing, that switching guitars will fix it. That's like running a race, deciding you're not going fast enough, and stopping to change your shoes.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:21 AM

In my own experience, it depends on scale lenghts : if they are similar, no problem.

If you had a parlor 24" and an standard 25,4" there would be an issue if you do not look at the neck (or play in front of a mirror).

But different sounds enhance the practice satisfaction.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgrit View Post
So would learning with both of these slow down my progression? Would I be better in the long run?
Guess I'd have to ask how do you know where you'll be in the long run without different avenues, different choices. Without a variety of inputs. Sometimes different guitars can provide a bit of that variety. One may be better that allowing you to develop your own particular style just because of how it sounds and feels.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:22 PM

Did I understand correctly that you said an Alvarez was a poor man's Collings??

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write