The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-18-2019, 11:07 AM

My Composite Acoustics Legacy has Stainless frets.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
My carbon fibre guitar has stainless steel frets. I fully expect them to outlive me.

I can't reveal the manufacturer. Apparently mention of the E-word around here has become a trigger for some.
Well it certainly shouldn't. Emerald make some amazing guitars there's no doubt about it. That Christmas thread showed that they're human and can make mistakes.
I personally have only one at the moment, a custom X30, but love it so much I decided to order a custom X20. I'll continue to speak highly of them regardless of what others think.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:15 PM

I'm interested in discussion of any of the CF brands. It just happens that one -- we share a first initial -- is getting more of my attention and dollars lately for a number of good reasons. But I own examples from all the major builders except Journey and Leviora. I don't need a travel guitar any more, so no Journey OF660 with the take-down neck. And I've never seen a Leviora in person.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

It seems to me that it is up to owners/shoppers/devotees of other brands to speak up about their brands more, rather than owners of *Emerald* (there, I said it and I don't even own one!!!) having to tone it down. So punishing Emerald owners seems a bit backward and putting the onus in the wrong place.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 01-18-2019, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I'm interested in discussion of any of the CF brands. It just happens that one -- we share a first initial -- is getting more of my attention and dollars lately for a number of good reasons. But I own examples from all the major builders except Journey and Leviora. I don't need a travel guitar any more, so no Journey OF660 with the take-down neck. And I've never seen a Leviora in person.
Earlmerald? I don't get why anyone gets worked up over any particular brand being discussed. I learn stuff here each time I sign on, regardless of the brand. For the record, I don't like broccoli but I don't make a fuss about it when going through a salad bar... I just take what I like and move on. And add more bleu cheese and bacon bits.

If someone is keeping track of who posts what about which brand, they are really going to be ticked to find out that most of us just like guitars... all kinds of guitars. Well, mostly carbon fiber guitars, since that's what this sub-forum is about. And, if you don't like what I like, that's OK - we can still be friends.

Oh, and... Emerald.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
It seems to me that it is up to owners/shoppers/devotees of other brands to speak up about their brands more, rather than owners of *Emerald* (there, I said it and I don't even own one!!!) having to tone it down. So punishing Emerald owners seems a bit backward and putting the onus in the wrong place.

Tony
This...I couldn't agree more. I realize everyone has their own backstory on how they landed on certain brands that they came to love. For me I was looking for a carbon fiber guitar that could replace high end wood guitars due to the climate where I live. It's definitely not an easy feat to accomplish. I tried my fair share of carbon guitars and they just never satisfied me enough to take over for a high end wooden guitar. Then, because of this forum, I stumbled upon Emerald, a company which I never heard of before, I read all the posts, watched all the videos available. It wasn't until I seen Tony Polecastro playing a cocobola X20 that really put me over the top. By that time they had just redesigned their X7 and X30. I took a chance and got a custom X30 built knowing that if I really didn't like it I could turn around and sell it for a small loss. When it arrived, I still remember that day clearly as I still truly never knew what to expect. The guitar completely blew me away in every way, shape and form and I'm extremely picky. Even now after having it for around 4 months makes me play more and more and also pull the trigger on a custom X20. My experience with Emerald from the start has been nothing but positive. I realize that not everyone will end up having the same experience that I did. I have so much respect for the company that I will speak highly of them whether it's on a forum, real life or whatever regardless of what anyone else thinks. Give credit where it's deserved and they certainly deserve credit for what they do.

Last edited by GuitarLuva; 01-19-2019 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
I have so much respect for the company that I will speak highly of them whether it's on a forum, real life or whatever regardless of what anyone else thinks. Give credit where it's deserved and they certainly deserve credit for what they do.
Great guitars along with great customer service will do that !
Old 01-20-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Great guitars along with great customer service will do that !
Yes this is true for sure.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:48 PM

Stainless Steel is 50% harder than "hard" nickel silver. A big step up but not a lifetime solution for a guitar that is really played. Most guitars sit around unplayed and nickel silver lasts a lifetime or more under those conditions :~).

Some Stainless frets, like the original Parkers, are bar frets glued to the fretboard surface. They are not the easily serviced tang frets of wood guitar fame (easily serviced because they are often serviced). Before I went crowing about the wonderfulness of my CF guitar with stainless frets, I would want to know how they were installed.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 01-20-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Stainless Steel is 50% harder than "hard" nickel silver. A big step up but not a lifetime solution for a guitar that is really played. Most guitars sit around unplayed and nickel silver lasts a lifetime or more under those conditions :~).

Some Stainless frets, like the original Parkers, are bar frets glued to the fretboard surface. They are not the easily serviced tang frets of wood guitar fame (easily serviced because they are often serviced). Before I went crowing about the wonderfulness of my CF guitar with stainless frets, I would want to know how they were installed.
I own two Emeralds and a RainSong. There is a school of thought that nickel silver frets "sound better" than stainless steel (my ears probably can't tell the difference).

With large guitar manufacturers using PLEK machines, I would guess cost is not the reason they use nickel silver. And, I do love the sound of my CH-WS.

Last edited by JimCA; 01-20-2019 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:58 PM

I am also aware of the general opinion that stainless steel frets sound brighter, however I have a Composite Acoustics guitar (with stainless steel frets) that sounds more "woody/warm" than my Rainsong (with nickel frets) therefore I think that are for sure ways to overcome the "brightness" of stainless steel frets if there is any. I personally think that it is a contradiction to have a CF guitar that can last ages and use frets that will not....
Old 01-20-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCA View Post
I own two Emeralds and a RainSong. There is a school of thought that nickel silver frets "sound better" than stainless steel (my ears probably can't tell the difference).

With large guitar manufacturers using PLEK machines, I would guess cost is not the reason they use nickel silver. And, I do love the sound of my CH-WS.
Interesting video thanks for sharing.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardo1000 View Post
I am also aware of the general opinion that stainless steel frets sound brighter, however I have a Composite Acoustics guitar (with stainless steel frets) that sounds more "woody/warm" than my Rainsong (with nickel frets) therefore I think that are for sure ways to overcome the "brightness" of stainless steel frets if there is any. I personally think that it is a contradiction to have a CF guitar that can last ages and use frets that will not....
Depends on the builder. I think this the McPherson Touring is a pretty warm sounding guitar considering it is both small and a CF- this one has nickel frets

Old 01-30-2019, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Fret wear happens, it can be accelerated if you regularly use a capo with a strong spring, like a Kyser for example.
Just thought I'd mention it in case others did not know.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimey View Post
Fret wear happens, it can be accelerated if you regularly use a capo with a strong spring, like a Kyser for example.
Just thought I'd mention it in case others did not know.
Good point, never thought about that.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber