The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-24-2019, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

I tend to agree with Doubleneck, some wood guitars are very comfortable. Probably not as comfy as the Emeralds, but not noticeably uncomfy. I'm speaking mainly of my 000-15sm, it fits me well. I assume because it's thinner and a smaller longer body shape than most geetars. I find it has a mellow sweet voice that the CF's can't match. And I find the CF's to have a bigger bolder tone that the SM can't match. Love them both. I'm comfy too.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:57 PM
Guest 928

Doubleneck;

Good to hear from you. You flew a long way to bring your Emerald doubleneck to the Carbon fest in Utah, and it was well appreciated. I was amazed with your 6/12. It was comfortable, it was easy to play. The 12, in particular, was a stunner. I've dipped into the 12 pool at various times in my life and your 12 kicked butt.

I am now 76 and I've come to appreciate thin bodies and nice body molding.

Thank you for that sharing and this contribution to the discussion.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Fair enough but I was referencing the fancy contours, bevels and armrest. The armrest is the only exception but most wood guitars that offer armrests are a lot more expensive (Taylor 914ce for example). I can't see anyone finding a straight cut piece of wood more comfortable than a bevelled piece that fits in your lap like a glove.
I knew you were referencing armrests and bevels, and I know you were specifically talking about Emerald having been following your posts. I didn't quote you directly because my statement is more general and I believe stands true for many here.

I have a Journey OF660 with nice contours and an arm bevel. However, believe it or not, it is not as comfortable as the RainSong Shorty. For me, the Shorty's OM body (15.3”) is the perfect size and it has a contoured back; put a John Pearse armrest on it and that took care of the sharp top- not to mention that there was zero real estate lost because of the design of the armrest.

On the RainSong I was able to rest my arm better on the lower bout. I have to wear a strap when playing the OF660 and hold a classical position. It works fine for me but it did take some adjusting to make the small 12” lower bout “work” with by body. I’m 6’1” and 210- not a huge guy but not small either. It's kinda funny because both my guitars are small, and the one I'm gassing for is also small. My guitars look kinda goofy on me and I don't care. Even my wife comments that my guitars look small. I don't hear her complain about my playing or how my guitars sound though More than anything, I'm interested in how well they play and how well they sound. I just don't like large guitars and never have. Everything seems to be a trade-off though; one guitar might be more comfortable but might not win the tone battle with a guitar that isn’t as comfortable. Certainly I can't be the only one who has experienced this?

Emerald sure gets a lot of praise around there, but they not the only company doing contours and bevels. Even RainSong and McPherson have at least the contoured back. Taylor released their “Academy” series last year with an armrest and they are going for around $499 (and they sound pretty darn good too- I was taken aback with one at GC recently). With the exception of the McPherson Touring and Sable, these guitars are coming in significantly lower in price than the base model Emeralds too.

Am I interested in an Emerald? You bet I am. If I ever buy another CF guitar it will be the newly designed X7 in red (no woody for me- to keep the cost down not because I don't like them). The new X7 is one of the most gorgeous things I've ever seen- wood or otherwise.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
The new X7 is one of the most gorgeous things I've ever seen- wood or otherwise.
Stop stop stop!!! I stare at that amber one every day already....
Old 01-24-2019, 08:48 PM

You know, it doesn't matter what cut of beef you buy, most folks can't tell the difference, and we all know it's really the chef that matters...

Three identically sized guitars, Rosewood/Spruce; Mahogany/Spruce; Unidirectional Carbon fiber/carbon-glass composite. The two wooden guitars are from the same builder.

I can certainly hear the difference.

https://soundcloud.com/rocket_song/3...-sound-samples
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 01-25-2019, 05:56 AM

I think 1 is hog, 2 r/w and 3 CF. I like 2 and 3 best
Old 01-25-2019, 06:21 AM

As far as the original statement about back and sides making very little difference, a little can mean a lot.

Play a Martin D -18, then immediately play a Martin D-28, I can hear a difference, a very distinct difference. I have a luthier friend that lives 10 minutes from me so I get to play a lot of very good customs. He had built 4 with spruce tops but back and side were different. While playing them for myself I could hear the difference, someone standing 10 feet away might not.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
You know, it doesn't matter what cut of beef you buy, most folks can't tell the difference, and we all know it's really the chef that matters...
Ok, now I’m hunger.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber