The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-25-2009, 04:45 PM

Default Fingerpicking: any good books?

I have played acoustic and electric guitar for many years. I know a few fingerpicked tunes, but I've mostly used the pick.

Now, I feel I want to learn more fingerpicking tunes, and also get to know the techniques behind it (I've mostly made the techniques up myself when I've fingerpicked).

Can anyone recommend books that teaches fingerpicking in a comprehensible and thorough manner (classical preferred but celtic style works, tuning DADGAD or EADGBE)? Preferrably with a companion CD.
Of course, although I am an intermediate guitar-player, I would need to go from the basics of fingerpicking, mainly for the right-hand stuff.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-25-2009, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhadge View Post
I have played acoustic and electric guitar for many years. I know a few fingerpicked tunes, but I've mostly used the pick.

Now, I feel I want to learn more fingerpicking tunes, and also get to know the techniques behind it (I've mostly made the techniques up myself when I've fingerpicked).

Can anyone recommend books that teaches fingerpicking in a comprehensible and thorough manner (classical preferred but celtic style works, tuning DADGAD or EADGBE)? Preferrably with a companion CD.
Of course, although I am an intermediate guitar-player, I would need to go from the basics of fingerpicking, mainly for the right-hand stuff.

Thanks in advance!
Hi Rhadge...
First of all, hello and welcome to the group! We are glad you joined.

There are many styles of fingerstyle including the two you named, and in addition, Chord Melody and Travis Picking and song accompaniment done in fingerstyle fashion.

Al Petteway, Pete Huttlinger, and Mark Hanson have some great teaching materials on fingerstyle; Petteway and Hanson both have specific things for Celtic - and more specifically DADGAD songs. Each have both books and DVDs and a few CDs (most make DVDs these days).

Happy Traum & Pete Huttlinger (if I recall correctly) each have some great systematic general fingerstyle teaching materials which can be found on HomeSpunTapes.com. They also have intermediate and advanced materials there. Pete has a great DVD titled ''Essential Exercises for Fingerstyle Guitar''

Mark Hanson's are at AccentonMusic.com & Al Petteway's are on AcousticMusicResource.com

In addition, there are some great players who have things posted on YouTube, and if you can read hands fairly well, you can learn a lot from them.

I don't think there is a comprehensive one-size-fits-all approach to fingerstyle, nor one teacher who masters it all in print (Tommy Emmanuel encompasses several styles of fingerpicking, but has no teaching books on the topic I'm aware of).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-25-2009, 06:15 PM

Default www.accentonmusic.com

+1 for Mark Hanson and www.accentonmusic.com

Collings; Taylor; Don Grosh electric; Collings Electric; Taylor K4
Old 06-26-2009, 02:13 AM

Thanks for the welcome and the answers!
I'm glad to have found this forum, being more inclined towards acoustic instruments rather than electric.

As for genre and styles within a genre, I haven't listened to much fingerpicking.
My focus is classical and celtic though.
I will have time to find my own technique preferences eventually, so a thorough book with a general (classical) focus would be the best.

I'm not good at picking up finger-patterns, so books are the best idea.
In this regard, I won't buy any DVD's. And Mark Hanson's beginners book seems more oriented towards blues/travis, while I would like a more classical approach.

Last edited by Rhadge; 06-30-2009 at 04:29 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:30 AM

No one knows any well-written book that teaches classical fingerpicking?
Old 06-30-2009, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

Pumping Nylon. There are different versions, notation only, tab, and one comes with a DVD. A good way to start on your own is to practice alternating your index, middle and ring fingers string a string, then move to the next, etc.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-30-2009, 06:54 AM

RHadge,

There is a good link in this PLAY entitled "IF YOU LIKE RAGTIME YOU MIGHT LIKE THIS SITE, containing a link to a PDF book called "The Art of Ragtime Guitar" which seems to be a pretty good beginning starter to fingerstlyle.
A LOT of the basics are the same no matter which book you use . . .Pick one, (PUN INTENDED) and get started!

I started with "Beginning Fingerstyle Blues Guitar" by Arnie Berle and Mark Galbo and learned a big chunk of it. I've also worked with Mark Hanson's "The Art of Contempory Travis Picking".

Check out the link and enjoy the journey - it never ends!

2004 Taylor 410
2006 Washburn WD18SW
2007 Guild GAD-G212
2001 Taylor 814CE
2008 Langer Cigar Box Guitar (Hand built by Me!!)
2008 Taylor Big Baby
2010 Antonio Hermosa AH10 Classical
Old 06-30-2009, 08:47 AM
Was Sceptical. Unsure now

Welcome to the Forum Rhadge -

well I noticed you mentioned classical preferred, so I would suggest you find a copy of A Modern Approach to Classical Guitar (Composite ed.) by Charles Duncan. It was sold long ago as 3 books, but try and find the new edition with all 3 together since it has 3 CDs to go with it, A lot of space and time is devoted to the right hand fingering with CD help to hear the samples.
The assumption with this book is that you will be using a nylon classical guitar, but the songs and samples are not strict and formal classical music only. He uses folk, pop, and fun tunes too, so it's a relaxed journey not just strict Sor routines. It's all standard though, so you'll need to get another book for the celtic tunings.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:24 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! Both classical books that have been recommended are interesting.

I play steel-stringed guitar though. Will the classical books still be okay, or do I need to get some other book that focuses on steel-stringed fingerpicking?
Old 06-30-2009, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhadge View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! Both classical books that have been recommended are interesting.

I play steel-stringed guitar though. Will the classical books still be okay, or do I need to get some other book that focuses on steel-stringed fingerpicking?
You can use the classical books to train your right hand, but alot of classical songs don't sound so great on a steel string unless you are really good at muting strings. The decay rate of a note on a nylon is faster than on a steel string.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-01-2009, 01:06 AM

Thanks.
Training the right hand is what's important to me for now. So I guess I'll get one of the classical books that have been recommended.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write