The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-11-2021, 09:02 AM
Guest 928

Default Ovation

The two guitars I'm thinking of buying will take 3-6 months before delivery so I am looking an interim instrument. I'm going back to the future by revisiting Ovation.

Ovation was my first taste of a composite instrument. I tried a number of Ovation guitars and while I loved their necks, sound, and electronics, I could hardly hang on to them without a leash. Except for the shallow bowl--that I could hold.

So, I've been looking at Ovations and stumbled across the AN 13, a 3/4 sized guitar. Anyone have any experience with this or any of the shallow bowl nylon string Ovations?
Old 07-11-2021, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

I'm an Ovation fan, but I've never played the low-cost Ovation Applause AN 13. It's likely a shallow-sounding, uninspiring instrument to play. It may be okay as a beater guitar to tie you over until your order comes in but I'd look for a used, good-condition, full-size, American-made Ovation classical. It would be a good alternative to your on-order, carbon fiber classical, and it would be worth keeping alongside it.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 07-11-2021, 09:49 AM
Guest 928

Spruce;

If the price is any indication, yes the 3/4 Applause is probably not much of an instrument. Its appeal (to) me is its short scale and relatively shallow bowl. Are there other Ovation/Applause nylon string instruments with short scales and shallow or mid bowls?

Also, what do you think of the Balladeer AB24CII-CED?

Last edited by Guest 928; 07-11-2021 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
The two guitars I'm thinking of buying will take 3-6 months before delivery so I am looking an interim instrument. I'm going back to the future by revisiting Ovation.

Ovation was my first taste of a composite instrument. I tried a number of Ovation guitars and while I loved their necks, sound, and electronics, I could hardly hang on to them without a leash. Except for the shallow bowl--that I could hold.

So, I've been looking at Ovations and stumbled across the AN 13, a 3/4 sized guitar. Anyone have any experience with this or any of the shallow bowl nylon string Ovations?
I've had the steel string version of AN 13 for about 25 years (a sentimental gift from my dad), and I agree with SpruceTop, it's not an inspring guitar. I used mine for teaching music in the classroom and for guitar lessons and it was fine for that. His suggestion to look for a full sized one is a good one.
Hope this helps.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 07-11-2021, 03:08 PM
Guest 928

Thank you both. I liked that you had nothing negative to say about the ability to tune the guitar or its intonation. Its size is my inspiration and its price is a draw.
Old 07-11-2021, 03:42 PM

For the last 15 years or so Ovations offered guitar with so called contour bowls that supposedly have a better fit for many people while offering some of the he sonic advantages of the full bowl. I have never tried one as I am quite comfortable with regular mid and deep bowls, but many people seem to like them.
Old 07-11-2021, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

I had an Ovation for 14 years - my "playing out" acoustic; OK, my only acoustic at the time. It wasn't until I started frequenting the guitar forums that I found out I needed something "better." Plugged in, that guitar was a workhorse.

Have you looked at a Taylor Academy A12e-N? I tried to find one when I let you convince me that I "needed" a nylon string guitar, but they were rare. Probably more of them out there now. It is their Grand Concert, so pretty friendly in the size category. They even put an arm bevel on it. After I got over that brief "nylon fling," I did come across one in a guitar shop, and it seemed to be a very decent guitar for the price ($599 with no pickup, $749 with a pickup). Doesn't have a fancy finish, more like the GSmini. It does have a 25.5" scale, but the body length is 19" - might be worth a look. I'm guessing if I had been able to find one when I was looking, I'd probably still have it.
Old 07-11-2021, 05:28 PM
Guest 928

So I went to purchase the AN13 only to find that the one I was looking at had sold. The only other one I could find had a problem.

I then took some forum advice and started looking at bigger Ovations. I focused on the Balladeer AB24CII-CED and found several in the $300 range. But in cruising the net something very strange popped up; the same guitar for $99 with no shipping charge!

I've always believed that if something is too good to be true, it is probably not true. I also believe that there is a sucker born every minute and that occasionally I am reborn in sucker mode. I ordered the guitar.

I felt immediate buyers remorse and went to my PayPal account to cancel the order and found that it had already been approved. However, however while the purchase was approved the actual payment was "pending" upon shipment of the instrument.

I went through the "pending" status with a guitar I sold last week, and I didn't like it. But it worked out Ok and I can see that "pending" could save some fool some money.

So now I'm not worried about the purchase. But I am curious. Is it really possible for a guitar made in China and normally sold for $300 in the U.S. to be made and shipped for $99 and how does that work?????.

Waiting for a tracking #................................................. ......................
Old 07-11-2021, 06:21 PM

I think that PayPal has fairly good buyer protection so if there is something wrong you can probably file a claim. Hopefully you ordered it from an authorized dealer.
Old 07-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Guest 928

Merlin;

Thank you for your positive hope, but I do not see an authorized dealer in view. The original order was made through Swillaid.com,

When the PayPal temporary authorization came it indicated that the payment would be made when (some Chinese letters) completed the order.

Seller info on the PayPal form was listed with the same Chinese writing and the following email address: [email protected]

When I get a minute I'll try the email..............
Old 07-11-2021, 10:20 PM
Charter Member

I get those ads a lot for "Any guitar for $99" take your pick, Les Pauls, Strats, you name it. I report the ads every time. I don't think you ever get anything for your money from what I have read. I hope that's not the case with your order, looking forward to hearing all is well !
Old 07-12-2021, 03:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
For the last 15 years or so Ovations offered guitar with so called contour bowls that supposedly have a better fit for many people while offering some of the he sonic advantages of the full bowl. I have never tried one as I am quite comfortable with regular mid and deep bowls, but many people seem to like them.
I have and have had several of the Deep Contour Bowl Ovations and they're much more comfortable and stable compared to the "round backs."

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 07-12-2021, 08:43 AM
Guest 928

Spruce;

That is a beautiful guitar. I have not noticed Ovations advertised by having a "deep contour," but I'll be looking more closely.

Is there such a thing as a deep contour shallow bowl?

Jd;

I have not seen those ads. I'm not too worried since PayPal won't release the money until the guitar ships. On the other hand a genuine scammer might name a miniature toy guitar an "Ovation," ship it off and collect the money. I have asked for a tracking number and if I don't get one soon I'll try to retract the order.
Old 07-12-2021, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Spruce;

That is a beautiful guitar. I have not noticed Ovations advertised by having a "deep contour," but I'll be looking more closely.

Is there such a thing as a deep contour shallow bowl?

Jd;

I have not seen those ads. I'm not too worried since PayPal won't release the money until the guitar ships. On the other hand a genuine scammer might name a miniature toy guitar an "Ovation," ship it off and collect the money. I have asked for a tracking number and if I don't get one soon I'll try to retract the order.
Evan,

Here is the main Ovation page from which you can access all their current models and some legacy models: Ovation Guitars

I think the only Mid-Depth Contour model is this one: Adamas MD80 Cutaway Mid-Depth Contour Natural Woven Texture

Non-Contour Mid-Depth Classic : Celebrity CollectionŽ Celebrity EliteŽ Nylon Mid Depth Aged Natural
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 07-12-2021, 05:18 PM
Guest 928

Spruce;

Thank you for the information. I will be looking at the general Ovation site, however an Ovation purchase has become somewhat remote. I may have a Blackbird Savoy sooner than later and that will be taking up my time. Ole!

PS I went to the site. It looks like Ovation is currently only making one nylon string guitar--the 1773 AX-4. The guitar is beautiful (though not as beautiful as yours), the reviews are good, and the price is reasonable. Good thing I'm not in the market for a good nylon string guitar.

Last edited by Guest 928; 07-12-2021 at 05:37 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber