The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-05-2020, 12:00 AM

Default Journey OC660M

Another video up. I don't know much about nylon string guitars, have never owned one myself (after all I'm steelvibe), but I've got to say that I like this little guitar.

So nylon aficionados, what say ye? I do know this is a great player and the pickup sounds good to my ear. Just thought I'd share here- enjoy

Old 02-05-2020, 04:19 AM

The plugged in sound is great!

Hope to hear unplugged with a good mic as well soon.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:49 AM

I have a steel journey, so can't comment on the nylon sound, but I LOVE mine. It is the slickest travel guitar I've ever had. Plays well and travels well. Can't beat it.
000-Nylon, All Mahogany custom, 000-15SM, D16-GT (resto mod in progress), D15-M, Stinger SSL electric....
And a Kobza, Bouzouki, Hurdy Gurdy and something medieval looking.....
www.woodenshoe.blog
Old 02-05-2020, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

I also have the steel string version and agree, it’s a great option for a traveler.

I haven’t played the nylon version. I wish they had made the nut a full 2 inches as opposed to the “crossover” 1&7/8. I understand the company already makes a 650 scale 2inch nut travel classical. It has the traveling convenience of the detachable neck but is made of wood- so it’s not worry free from a weather/conditions standpoint.

Just some thoughts.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:51 AM
Guest 928

I prefer the hybrid 1 7/8" nut width. It strikes me as a nice center point between traditional steel and nylon string nuts. That said, it is clear that the ideal width depends largely on the player.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I prefer the hybrid 1 7/8" nut width. It strikes me as a nice center point between traditional steel and nylon string nuts. That said, it is clear that the ideal width depends largely on the player.
I have played 2 inch and can get used to it, however I like to keep things consistent in terms of the width and string lengths: 1.875" and 24" ( 24.5 acceptable ). Not too crazy about full scale... Road trip size body would have been a big enough difference to convince myself that it is a worthy purchase. Overall I am glad Journey is experimenting with carbon with nylon strings.

Last edited by Gitaman; 02-10-2020 at 07:41 AM.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:26 PM

I really like short scale comfort of X7 and OF660 but I convinced myself there must be a reason for full scale... Well, I could not resist the nylon tone I could enjoy wherever I go and placed an order. I will do my best not to drool, I meant not to think about it until the familiar box shows up at my front door.
Old 06-22-2021, 11:17 AM
Guest 928

Gitaman;

And so?????????
Old 06-22-2021, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitaman View Post
I really like short scale comfort of X7 and OF660 but I convinced myself there must be a reason for full scale... Well, I could not resist the nylon tone I could enjoy wherever I go and placed an order. I will do my best not to drool, I meant not to think about it until the familiar box shows up at my front door.

I’m also curious as to your thoughts on and experience with this model.
Gitaman,
What do you think?
Old 06-22-2021, 06:02 PM
Guest 928

Gitaman has not been around for a while, so we might not hear back. I think AC also had a Journey nylon, but I haven't heard from him, either. I'm thinking the Journey just might be transporting its players to another galaxy.

It's beginning to look like I might have to buy one just to check it out.
Old 06-23-2021, 03:40 AM

No Journey nylon here, just the steel string. Though I'm seriously contemplating a nylon Journey as well--so I pay attention--and occasionally seek out the latest youtube reviews or players who record both unplugged and plugged in. I've noticed prices have continued to increase and I expect that will continue for all guitar makers.

You have a strong need for natural projection. Although the Journey tone is very good, consistently you will hear it cannot compete unplugged with a standard nylon string for natural sound volume.

But with a lower bout of 12.5 inches . . . vs. normal classical range of 14-16 inches . . . no amount of hope will ever allow it to sound the same. A Journey with a 16 inch bout? Maybe would/could sound closer--but it's design purpose was "overhead". It would become an entirely different product with a 16 inch bout.

The other advantages that come with the Journey--carbon and ergonomics and portability--plus having good tone--are enough to satisfy me and my current needs.

I've searched for and listened to several players playing the nylon plugged-in and it sounds amazing. Journey states that their pickup system is also upgradeable ("under-bridge passive 4-piezo transducer upgradeable pickup system").

Not sure what that means exactly, but I recall one player mentioning his nylon Journey had the SBTs and an internal mic as well. Did it come like that from Journey by request, or did he add it himself? Regardless, the amplified sound was great.

Final note: Remember, a Journey Nylon is full scale, not short scale. An issue for some, but not for others. I'd be happy with it.
Old 06-23-2021, 07:21 AM
Guest 928

Thank you AC. It sounds like you are close to making a move. I'm dithering. By the way, I asked about color and for $100 more you can get any of the colors mentioned for the other Journeys. I think the white would be cool.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:24 AM

I travel with a steel journey overhead quite a bit. Love the sound and portability. Also love the slotted peg head. Anyone venture to guess wether you can use steel strings on the nylon string guitar? If the neck joint and neck material is the same, I think it would be safe for the instrument.

“If Immanuel Kant, can Ghengis Kahn?”

Collings cust 000 shrt Koa b/s Eu Spruce top
Santa Cruz cust OM shrt Maple b/s Germ Spruce top
Martin D-41 Dan Fogelberg Lmt edit
Rainsong 2001 ‘Hawaiian’ WD 1100 all CF
Milagro Rosewood b/s Euro Spruce top Classical
Taylor cust GA EIR b/s Addi top Florentine cut
Journey carbon fiber “Overhead” breakdown travel
Fender Standard American Strat
Old 06-23-2021, 08:48 AM
Guest 928

N4;

Steel strings on a nylon string guitar may not be a good idea. Nylon tops are light in order to respond to the lighter tension of nylon strings--steel strings may ruin a nylon strung instrument.

Putting nylon strings on a steel string guitar doesn't work well, either, since the top is designed for more tension than provided by nylon strings.

The only CF guitar I know of that was advertised as good for both steel and nylon was the Brunner. I don't know how it worked out and it was not on the market for any length of time. My guess would be that it was not a great guitar with either steel or nylon strings--but that's just a guess.
Old 06-23-2021, 02:58 PM
Guest 928

AC;

One of the reasons I considered selling my 10 for a 7 is that I wanted a shorter scale. The Journey has a long scale but I am bit confounded by the dimensions.

The X7 has a short scale and an overall length of 34 1/4". The Journey has a long scale and an overall length of 35". Does that mean that the Journey's neck is as accessible as the Emerald's?

The journey has become a bit of an itch wanting to be scratched. I have several people interested in buying the 10 which would then be motivation to order a 7.

On the other hand I've returned a Godin for my money back, seem to be selling my Kremona, have sold two Caramels, and one Cordoba--all of which is motivation to keep the 10 and order the Journey.

It's a long an winding road............

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber