The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-06-2021, 10:32 AM
Guest 928

Has anyone tried the John Pearse Folk strings on a Savoy? (PJ 116).
Old 07-21-2021, 05:33 PM
Guest 928

I don't know what strings Mr. K ended up with, but the Savoy he passed on to me has steel strings and they are very well balanced and have great tonal and projection qualities--almost enough to turn a nylon stringer into a steel stringer.

I've just received some Marin Hard tension classical strings that I'll be using with the Savoy. Fun stuff................
Old 07-23-2021, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Has anyone tried the John Pearse Folk strings on a Savoy? (PJ 116).
I have an Emerald X20 Nylon that I strung up with JP Folk stings and I love them. I'm not really a Nylon type guitar player but do like to have that somewhat softer tone on a few tunes when playing live. I was happy with hard tension nylons for the most part until I tried the JP folk stings. They are really easy to play but a little more on the steel string side of things tone wise.

I'm sure they are not for everyone but I really love them being mostly a steel string player.
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 07-23-2021, 09:03 AM
Guest 928

Benderman;

Very nice description of the JP strings. They are a nice bridge between steel and nylon strings and I suspect that they would be a step in the nylon direction with the Savoy.

I tried the JPs on two nylon string guitars. They were great in moving the guitars more toward the blues side of play. I ultimately moved away from the JPs because I found them a bit too steel stringy for my taste.

Strings, like guitars, have been moving toward the hybrid side of life. The JPs are a good example.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I don't know what strings Mr. K ended up with, but the Savoy he passed on to me has steel strings and they are very well balanced and have great tonal and projection qualities--almost enough to turn a nylon stringer into a steel stringer.

Just what ever strings it came with from BlackBird ...
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-08-2023, 12:18 AM

I tried nylon strings on the savoy and immediately took them off. Hated the sound.

Tried Santa Cruz low tension and wasnt that impressed either…

That said, I prefer strumming.
Old 10-08-2023, 07:59 AM

I use the Straight Up Strings light gauge on my Sunburst Savoy. Phenomenal sound.
Old 10-13-2023, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

I'm very fond of the Santa Cruz strings as well. If you play in DADGAD their dedicated DADGAD sets are REALLY worth a try. I'm using them on an old 00 Martin (1936) as well as a 000 Boucher in the dropped tunings, terrific.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber