The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-26-2021, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
No, yes, no and no. Life's too short to not have the guitar you want...
Right on! Get the Martin. Preferably a GE, Marquis, or Authentic.
You deserve the best.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:52 PM

I was a one guitar guy for the longest time...however these days I have settled on a Fraulini for the country blues and rags, and a vintage Martin 12 fret for the more refined fingerstyle stuff...best of all worlds
Old 07-26-2021, 07:58 PM

I was right with you for many years. Over time, however, there has been a multitude of great brands and great builders come onto the scene. With the improvement in quality across the board, I'd go as far as to say it is getting increasingly difficult to find a bad guitar (excluding the bargain basement brands). With a Collings in the house since 1998, my Martin GAS is very low. I suspect, as others have said, a Bourgeois, Lowden, SCGC or many other guitars in the house would also quell my Martin GAS equally well.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:00 PM

If you only want to keep one guitar, play as many Martins as you can until you find the one that makes you go "Wow!", and buy that one. I agree with others about keeping the Waterloo, though.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc132 View Post
....Martin. The standard series is the platonic ideal of acoustic guitars as far as I'm concerned.... Am I crazy? Has anyone else been in this situation before? Is this rational whatsoever? Should I just get over it?
For me it was a Gibson J45 Standard. But I got sidetracked when I happened to get a great deal on a jumbo Guild F50R. That's it for me. Never looked back.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 07-26-2021, 08:02 PM

Buy a Martin M-36. Your itch will have been scratched.

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster
Old 07-26-2021, 08:08 PM

Buy a D-18 and be done with it...
Old 07-26-2021, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Glider View Post
Buy a D-18 and be done with it...
Yeah. If I were only able to keep one acoustic, it would be my Martin D-18.

Waterloos are GREAT though. If I mostly played rags and country blues, out of my current collection, I'd keep my old Gibson LG-1. Waterloo makes a great modern take on that style though, and way easier to play (probably need to refret the LG).

After trying every acoustic I could get my hands on, Martin dreadnoughts are just what I want to hear most in a steel string. I like the way they boom in my chest and my voice sits well with them. Love my Huss & Dalton and liked it over many other boutiques...but Martin just has its own tone that many try and fail to replicate. I also got rid of all my boutique amps and only have old Marshalls and Fenders for a similar reason.

I did just buy an old Martin d-12-35. It sounds awesome, but I kinda wish it was a Guild F-512.

I think our ears are attuned to hear certain things for certain contexts. I disagree with those saying it is all Martin marketing. There are thousands of Martin sounds in our collective minds that did not come out of Martin's marketing department. They just make good instruments that have helped write a lot of amazing songs across a lot of genres and decades.

I am of the same philosophy as those saying keep the Waterloo and get a Martin when you find one you like.

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-27-2021 at 05:31 AM. Reason: No profanity, please.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:26 PM

I think some of you are missing one point. Just because the OP has a mental thing about wanting a Martin brand guitar, there is no guarantee that a Martin with actually check all of their boxes. Just telling him to go buy a Martin ( fill in your favorite model without knowing what the poster likes in a guitar. ) assumes that because they want the brand they will like the guitar. He very well may not feel that way when the fingers hit the strings.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 07-27-2021, 12:54 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillis View Post
Sounds like a good time to become a two guitar kinda guy
+1. Yes. Maybe a good time to be a 2-guitar owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
It does sound like you're attracted to the idea of a Martin, rather than the sound of a particular model. Totally understand. When I returned to guitar playing I was set on having one and, after a good long search, ended up with a 00-18V. But it also sounds like you really like your Scissortail. It'd be a bummer to find yourself selling it and maybe finding the grass isn't greener on the Martin side of the fence. So, keep your Waterloo and buy a Martin you like. I wouldn't listen to anyone else's opinion about Martins because only you can decide if you actually like the sound and feel. Maybe you'll end up keeping both, or maybe you'll find you can live w/o one or the other.
+1. Maybe you can try playing the CEO-7. If you like it, buy it. And if you still want to be a 1-guitar guy, sell the one you love less OR keep both and be a 2-guitar guy, which is already very unusual for AGF members.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 07-27-2021, 04:20 AM
Charter Member

I came by my Martin preference honestly. First two major acoustic guitar purchases, I played a LOT of guitars and the Martin’s I ended up buying just flat out won me over - the first time I wasn’t familiar with the brand, the second time I was. I’ve owned Taylor’s and Emeralds and Yamahas and Gretsch and Ovations and Alvarez, and played many, many others. None of them lasted long. I’ve had a couple Martin’s that didn’t last that long either. But I had a D28 that was my only acoustic for 25 years that, needless to say, I loved. I’m pretty sure my two current Martin’s are with me for life, although I’ve bought both within the last few years, so I that may be a premature statement.

I don’t know or care if they’re the best guitars in the world - I know they’re the best for me of those I could afford. I’ve never had the money for a Collings or Bourgeois, or Froggy Bottom, or Pre-War, or some custom made luthier guitar. If I took what I paid for both, I might have been able to afford ONE of the lesser priced of those brands, but then I’d have one - I like having one rosewood and one mahogany - different flavors. And I didn’t buy them both at once - I’ve never been able to just toss over $5000 in the direction of a guitar.

To whoever said, “I used to drink the Martin Kool-Aid, but I don’t anymore”, you can kindly go pound sand. If you like something better than Martin’s (and can afford your own tastes), then play something else and be happy. You don’t need to denigrate those who like Martin’s by calling them Martin Kool-Aid drinkers. I’m not a particular fan of Taylor’s signature sound, but I’m happy for those who like them - it’s just a different sound and we all get to like what we like. I’d never criticize anyone for liking something I don’t like. If you really like Martins and/or if you like them best of those you can afford, then play Martin(s) and be happy. Sounds like the OP is in that boat - I believe he should buy a Martin and hopefully would like it enough for it to be a keeper. If not, they tend to be pretty easy to sell for a good price and then he’ll know more than he does now about what he really likes…

-Ray
Old 07-27-2021, 04:30 AM

I always wanted a Martin at some point - one because they're THE guitar brand, two because I'm amused by the fact that they share my name. I had only two problems with this - I don't like dreadnoughts and I've never fallen in love with any Martin I've played (and with the exception of dreadnoughts, I've played every Martin I could get my hands on at any price point).

I came to the conclusion that they're just not for me. So I could buy one to scratch the itch, leave it in a corner unplayed, and regret it, or I could just buy and play the guitar that I truly love. It sounds to me that's your Waterloo.

So if you have an itch for a Martin - play every one you can. If they don't move you, you'll have scratched your itch and know they weren't for you.

I still admire the brand and their guitars, and wish all the best to those who love them. I'll go my own way.
Old 07-27-2021, 04:48 AM

Shocking confession.
I used to spend all my spare time in the shops.
I was sampling every thing I could lay hands on.
Early on I played a ton of Martin guitars. They were the “standard”, so I played every one I could.
I thought they all sounded “choked”.
Then I played a first year 00028 EC. It was the best Martin I’d ever played.
It also had a rather cost prohibitive hang tag.
So, I played my way through every shop I knew about in the KC metro.
I discovered that I preferred the most “pedestrian” Gibson available…the second generation Gospel.
Still out of my price range, but a third the cost of a Martin. Furthermore, I preferred the sound.
I started looking for that Gibson-esque growl, and found it with Alvarez.

Fast Forward to three years ago.
I asked for, and received a Takamine P3DC for Christmas.
It sounded great when I was testing it.
But the more I played it, the more it sounded like the Martins I’d played back in the ‘90’s.
That’s when I decided that I don’t care for medium gauge strings.
At this point though, I’ve heard about too many problems with Martin guitars.
Too expensive for me new, and WAY too expensive used if I have to deal with binding issues, neck angle issues, the dreaded pickguard crack, etc.

Ive bought many great, inexpensive guitars over the years.
The money I have spent on approximately 25 very nice guitars over the last twenty five years would have paid for a single D28, and perhaps one of then GC special MMV’s.
My way has been a lot more fun.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 07-27-2021, 05:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW63 View Post
I think some of you are missing one point. Just because the OP has a mental thing about wanting a Martin brand guitar, there is no guarantee that a Martin with actually check all of their boxes. Just telling him to go buy a Martin ( fill in your favorite model without knowing what the poster likes in a guitar. ) assumes that because they want the brand they will like the guitar. He very well may not feel that way when the fingers hit the strings.
Spot on.

It’s not about whether I like Martins, it’s about whether a particular Martin will suit the OP more than his Waterloo and how much the “image’ associated with Martins influences his choice.

To the OP, ideally you would take your Waterloo into a couple of stores and A/B it with a few Martins, to see if the Martin sound/playability is what you want. As to whether you want it because it’s a Martin; just the fact that you’re aware of this suggests to me that you will be able to figure it into your decision. We each have our own feelings about this and there isn't a right or wrong.

Full disclosure - I used to own Martins and thoroughly enjoyed them but I found other brands that I enjoyed even more so I sold the Martins. There is a lot more choice in guitars these days than there was a few decades ago and I’m happy to take advantage of it.
Old 07-27-2021, 05:36 AM

Loosen off some binding if you want it to be like a Martin.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion