The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-26-2021, 10:03 AM

I think enough folks here have explained that they are knots and won't effect tone.

Actually if I am looking at guitars and I find 2 that have equal tonal qualities, one with a top that is clear and free of knots and the one that is pictured, I would take the one pictured.

I like the character of the knots. Wood is organic and not supposed to be perfect. When doing a furniture project in Pine I will look for nice red knots to place in a conspicuous location on the project.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 07-26-2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
Dude - it's a GS mini. It's not a pricey guitar....
???? Never said it was. There is a $100-150 premium paid for getting a Koa top Mini though. I would not be happy with a 4 piece top on any guitar, at any price. Not saying it won't sound the same either. I find it aesthetically unattractive. The knots don't bother me. YMMV

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 07-26-2021, 10:32 AM

Default Thank you!

Wow, thanks for all the replies. I love those knots/birthmarks for sure! Glad to learn that they will not affect the tone.

And for the 4-piece/2-piece top discussion... I can't tell. Yes, I definitely see the difference in color, but the patterns kind of "continue" from the "big pieces" to the "narrow" pieces. I guess it's debatable! What would be the best way to find out?

Old 07-26-2021, 10:52 AM

That might be the ugliest Taylor I have ever seen. That top is trash. I would 120% send it back.

Knots are not uncommon but when they are avoided by furniture and instrument makers for many reasons. You want a fairly uniform grain for consistent response. Knots do not hydrate like the rest of the wood. You should avoid buying any guitar with knots in the top. No reputable maker is going to ship you that top.

Send it back..
Old 07-26-2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERZEY View Post
That might be the ugliest Taylor I have ever seen. That top is trash. I would 120% send it back.

Knots are not uncommon but when they are avoided by furniture and instrument makers for many reasons. You want a fairly uniform grain for consistent response. Knots do not hydrate like the rest of the wood. You should avoid buying any guitar with knots in the top. No reputable maker is going to ship you that top.

Send it back..
Please. It all comes down to personal preference. I think the top looks fine. I’d also consider this isn’t one of Taylor’s high-end guitars. With respect to ‘reputable’, I’m not a Taylor guy by any means but I’d certainly rate them as a reputable maker … even if their sound profile isn’t for me. Additionally, they have a stellar reputation for standing behind their product.
Cordoba C-10
Martin 000-15
... and a few others ...
Old 07-26-2021, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Many GS minis I've seen have grain imperfections of some sort. Ask yourself, would you buy one if it were $200 more? It is what it is, a guitar built to sell at a price point. A guitar built to use wood that might be scrap otherwise. A guitar built to make you want a better Taylor someday. It works on all those fronts.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 07-26-2021, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rui0222 View Post
Wow, thanks for all the replies. I love those knots/birthmarks for sure! Glad to learn that they will not affect the tone.

And for the 4-piece/2-piece top discussion... I can't tell. Yes, I definitely see the difference in color, but the patterns kind of "continue" from the "big pieces" to the "narrow" pieces. I guess it's debatable! What would be the best way to find out?

Nope. Definitely 4 pieces. The grain and different coloring is a dead giveaway. A single piece of wood will absorb stain differently in different areas. It WILL NOT absorb stain differently in a straight line and side by side as shown. It is a sign of different density and porosity - meaning they are different pieces of wood - and does not naturally occur in a series of straight lines.

If that doesn't bother you, and the small knots don't bother you and you like the way it plays and sounds - who cares what any of us say? Whether you like the tone and playability are all that count.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 07-26-2021, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

If anyone is going to argue that is a TWO-piece top, might as well say its a ONE-piece! It is clearly 4 pieces, and on a guitar in that range, is perfectly fine. Especially with a wood that is more valued forvits aesthetic than tone. Id keep it and enjoy it!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 07-26-2021, 08:39 PM

You have a nice looking top, with character. Enjoy the heck out of it and don't worry.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 07-27-2021, 12:39 AM

Wink 2-piece of 4-piece top?

Interesting thread! IMO, it looks like a 4-piece top. But I'm no expert in such things. I've seen another Koa top GS Mini in person that looks quite similar to the OP's guitar and the straight lines (left and right) of the centre line is why I think it looks like a 4-piece top.

But to the OP, if you like how your Koa GS Mini looks and sounds, that's what matters!
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 07-27-2021, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

This isn't the first four piece top I've seen lately on a new guitar and I've seen them on much more expensive ones than a Mini. I'm wondering if the shortages have anything to do with it. For the record, I'm cancelling out JERZEY's vote and say that I kind of like it. I don't think it looks like trash at all. It has a lot of character.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion