The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: How many sets of spare strings you will keep?
1 8 5.16%
2 12 7.74%
3 9 5.81%
4 14 9.03%
5 9 5.81%
6 7 4.52%
7 2 1.29%
8 or above 94 60.65%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-22-2021, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Since using Elixir strings on my guitars, I've found that they last long enough that I really have no need for more than one set of back-up strings for each of my 3 guitars...

I typically get 4-8 months from a set on my 6 string, 12-20 months on my 12 string and a nearly unfathomable 2-5 YEARS on my electric guitar!

I just wait until there's a sale on whatever strings I prefer, and buy the ones I need then...

I always chuckle when I read about someone buying 10 sets of Elixir string for one guitar... I want to say, "Good job! You now have strings for 5-10 years!"

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 07-24-2021, 07:58 PM

Now that I prematurely clipped the strings off my new Lowden thinking I was all in tune only to lose two strings to slippage and can't play my new Lowden until I order more strings, I'm going to keep at least 3 packages on hand
Old 07-24-2021, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiron View Post
Now that I prematurely clipped the strings off my new Lowden thinking I was all in tune only to lose two strings to slippage and can't play my new Lowden until I order more strings ...
Not sure what happened, but, if the strings are just a little bit too short and slipping at the tuner you could lengthen them by doing this.

Old 07-25-2021, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
Not sure what happened, but, if the strings are just a little bit too short and slipping at the tuner you could lengthen them by doing this.

I don't know if slippage is the right word but after I clipped the excess from the two middle wound strings and proceeded to tune upwards, the wound portion of the string separated from the core. All that was hanging on to the tuner was the string core and that wasn't long enough to wind around the tuner. Now I'm missing the two middle strings until the new packs come in.
Old 07-26-2021, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
That's what was going through my mind as I read this thread...How often people change their strings. I used to do it every month or so like you, but the time between changes has stretched out these days. Maybe our mild climate helps.

Do you use the same brand/type of string on all your acoustics?
Sometimes strings will last longer than a month but I would say for guitars I play regularly, every month is about right.

I use the same strings on all my electrics and most of my acoustic guitars use the same (not same as electric ;-). Only one acoustic is different because I use 11s on it as they just seem to work better for that guitar. I used to use a DADGAD set for one guitar, lights on a few others, and mediums on one but now I just use 12s on all but the one. It's just easier.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion