The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-27-2009, 12:55 AM

Default Trouble with Fingerings in TAB

I'm working on what is supposed to be an easy song, Darcy's Guitar by Pete Huttlinger. I'm trying and trying but I know there has to be an easier way to finger the different notes. I'm tempted to forget about tab and sheet music and learn everything by DVD, annoying.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:38 AM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerstylist View Post
I'm working on what is supposed to be an easy song, Darcy's Guitar by Pete Huttlinger. I'm trying and trying but I know there has to be an easier way to finger the different notes. I'm tempted to forget about tab and sheet music and learn everything by DVD, annoying.
I worked with one of my students on this. Don't have the tabs right now (in office) but I'll see if I can help you out later today if someone hasn't already.

Yeah, a couple of "tricky" fingerings in there that you'll need to figure out in order to transition smoothly from one phrase to the next. Don't forget the palm muting (Pete doesn't seem to indicate it in any of his tabs).

Are there any bars in particular that you're having trouble with?
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )

Last edited by mmmaak; 07-27-2009 at 01:55 AM.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmaak View Post
I worked with one of my students on this. Don't have the tabs right now (in office) but I'll see if I can help you out later today if someone hasn't already.

Yeah, a couple of "tricky" fingerings in there that you'll need to figure out in order to transition smoothly from one phrase to the next. Don't forget the palm muting (Pete doesn't seem to indicate it in any of his tabs).

Are there any bars in particular that you're having trouble with?

LOL, right after the first 4 bars. I've been playing long enough that I shouldn't have any trouble but I know I"m doing it wrong. It's on a G chord. I appreciate any help
Old 07-27-2009, 02:28 AM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerstylist View Post
LOL, right after the first 4 bars. I've been playing long enough that I shouldn't have any trouble but I know I"m doing it wrong. It's on a G chord. I appreciate any help
Can you fret an adjacent string by bending your first finger joint backwards? Just off the top of my head, I remember there being a C chord in the first couple of bars (after the 4-bar intro) where that can really come in handy.
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 07-27-2009, 02:47 AM

I"m not sure I can do that. Was watching a youtube vid and the guy hardly ever moves his hand at all on the g chord. Just gonna have to get used to using my pinky on the g. I'll keep trying and let you know how it goes. Thanks MM.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:35 AM
The Foreigner

OK, here's the way I teach it:

Bar 1-4
Ring finger on 6th string.

Bar 5
Ring finger on 6th string, middle finger on 3rd string, pinky on 2nd string....

Bar 7
....so that the index is free to fret the last note on the 2nd string.

Bar 8
Ring finger on 6th string, middle on 4th string.

Bar 9
Here's where the reverse-bending comes in handy. If you can, bend the middle finger backwards to fret the 3rd string. If you can't, try and sneak the index behind the middle, but then you'll have to release it quick since it is needed for the 2nd string in the following beat.

Bar 11
A bit of a stretch here. Index, ring and middle on 6th, 5th and 4th strings respectively. Pinky for the 7th fret note.

If you like, I can write out the fingerings on the score and scan it for you, but not tonight

Hope that helps.
Transcriptions

Old 07-27-2009, 08:40 PM

Thanks MMM, that should get me started and hopefully I can figure the rest out. As far as mapping out the fingerings, don't go through the trouble man. You've helped so much already

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write